Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Living like a king on pennies
Old 02-18-2007, 10:15 AM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Point taken, but I'm not really assuming or judging so much as I'm noting that "living like a king" is not the exact phrase most would associate with the described lifestyle, where the very basics of the infrascructure need fixing.
It depends on what type of king we're talking about. It might be an 17th century king or a tribal chief (LOL). Just a little insight - living like a king in the developing world can mean that you have the means to hire people to wait on you hand on foot. You could afford a maid, a butler and a gardner for probably less than $400 a month but the infrastructure of the country may not be great. Are you suggesting that people can't live kings in those places? Believe of not, many of them come to the developed world to get medical treatment if they need to and send their children there to get educated.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Doug must really touch a nerve. Don't people post about how great it is to live simply, to be satisfied with the things money can't buy?

If Doug says he feels like a King, I for one accept his evaluation. After all he is the one living the life. I think there are others who feel this way too.

Doug's life gives him the fresh fruits and vegetables from 2 tropical acres. He is lovingly married to a young woman who wants to have children with him.

He sounds like he is fully qualified to decide whether he is living like a king or not.

After all, he isn't trying to sell anyone else on his lifestyle.

Ha
Ha Ha, you got it man! My sentiments exactly. People who do not live in developing countries could erroneously make the judgment that they must all be miserable. It's all in one's perception. People who are used to poor infrastructure all their lives, it doesn't phase them. Have you ever head the expression "I was poor but I didn't even know it". That's where that came from. Also, what defines middle class in America is not the same in many places. Middle class can mean running water, electricity and a maid, forget infrastructure. While lots of people may not have access to electricity, indoor plumbing, etc, many do in the developing world and often they share that with their neighbors so it's not so bad.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:38 AM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'd personally be up for a simpler, less expensive lifestyle after FIRE but my basics would include running water, dependable electricity, passable roads, and decent health care. Each to their own.

Sheeeesh Rich..........you just want everything, don't ya?
Old 02-18-2007, 03:18 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP

So for the seniors who live for their health care this lifestyle is not suitable, period. I make no apologies ... I just don't chose to let hospitals, doctors and insurance entities dictate the rest of my life. If I get sick. I'll go to the doctor. If s/he sends me to hospital, I'll let them poke and prod me. If I get well I'll keep living. If I don't, I'll die.
Interesting point. DW often remarks that she wants to make sure we stay somewhere with good hospitals when we are old. Yet, we both have living wills with DNR clauses. Mine states, "shoot me if you don't get a clear response." So for people like us what's with the desire to be be near the best trauma center? They are designed to keep you alive despite your best intentions.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:14 PM   #105
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Interesting point. DW often remarks that she wants to make sure we stay somewhere with good hospitals when we are old. Yet, we both have living wills with DNR clauses. Mine states, "shoot me if you don't get a clear response." So for people like us what's with the desire to be be near the best trauma center? They are designed to keep you alive despite your best intentions.
Agree! - I think D0ug is leading a great life and the more unorthodox the more interesting he makes this forum. Medical Care/Insurance is over rated/expensive and for the most part is nothing more than torture.

Maybe, I'll change my 'Fallback Retirement plan' from 'Trout Bum in a Trailer Park to 'Sugar Daddy' in the Dominican Republic. 8)
Old 02-18-2007, 09:36 PM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Maybe, I'll change my 'Fallback Retirement plan' from 'Trout Bum in a Trailer Park to 'Sugar Daddy' in the Dominican Republic. 8)
We'll have to figure out what parts of those plans have the support of our wives & daughters...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:58 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to RP Send a message via Skype™ to RP

I thought my WHO ranking submitted a couple days ago was interesting, how so many people think the US has the best hospitals, etc. in the world when in fact it ranks a dismal 37th. Here's another interesting post (some of the sources are US based) which ranks the world's countries in terms of the people's happiness:

http://blog.guykawasaki.com/2007/02/...rld_map_o.html

US doesn't even finish in the top 20. I'm actually awed by the number of people who throw the term infrastructure about as if it had a common meaning. It's one of those "buzz words" mainly from the dot com bubble of a few years back and can have so many meanings it's nearly useless.

In my adopted "developing" country the infrastructure is not nearly what people seem to think it is. An example would be going back to the US for medical care? What on Earth for, to get charged 25 times as much to be treated by an Indian or Pakistani doctor instead of a Filipino? Or sending children to the US for education. There are darn good schools here that cost a fraction of US costs ... so assuming your purpose in sending a child to school is education rather than schmoozing, what on Earth for?

As far as people waiting on us hand and foot? well that would be easy (and cheap) but we don't have live in help by choice. Not everyone in the world can make their living by clipping coupons, though, so there's not a darn thing wrong, in my view, with giving someone honest work to do and paying the going wage ... there are people in the majority of the world who are grateful for employment.

Anyway, neither the Philippines nor the Dominican republic is at the top of the happiness list either, so who wants to move to Denmark?

RP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:15 PM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

dOug and RP:

I have been reading with great interest all the comments on this thread. Thanks for the wisdom and insight proffered in your posts. To live life to the fullest, on one's own terms, without letting the judgment, prejudices, or expectations of others affect them. That, to me, is really another form of "freedom" aside from that offered by FIRE. I have much respect for your personal values and it heartens me to read your stories.

And I see nothing wrong with a considerable age difference between spouses, as long as there is mutual love, trust and respect - which it sounds like you both have. Wishing you continued happiness in your marriage and life.

Toejam
Old 02-18-2007, 11:25 PM   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP
Here's another interesting post (some of the sources are US based) which ranks the world's countries in terms of the people's happiness:
I think happiness is mostly what you choose, not where you are or what crowds of people you're among.

As for Denmark, I have a tough time choosing to be happy when I'm freezing my assets off...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:53 AM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I think happiness is mostly what you choose, not where you are or what crowds of people you're among.
Bingo.

A little good fortune doesn't hurt, either.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:48 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Boooo -

"Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness " - the American way. If you catch it, use the 5th amendment and never never admit to any such thing.

Ah yes - the shear joy of whining, bitching and complaining WITH an ER curmudgeon certicate downloaded from this very forum.

heh heh heh - I mean what else is ER for - besides if you admit to having a slap happy good time in ER - people get pissed.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to RP Send a message via Skype™ to RP

You know, uncle mick, I really hadn't thought that through, but you're right. Perhaps that why some of my not yet ER's friends back in the US never seem to have time to chat when I call them up (free via the Internet of course). I haven't made up a list of things to bitch about so the conversation lags a bit ... like the old line that always worked in my office, ... smile, people will wonder what you are up to.

You made me smile and that's (almost) as important as the first cup of morning coffee. Thanks and thanks to the rest of the great people here who take the time to read and comment, it's a nice group.

RP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:10 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

In all these posts, a few important points about the so called developing world that no one mentioned. If you want to experience real freedom (freedom from government) move there. You can file your tax if you want to, no taxes on interest income and capital gains, no government bureaucracy if you want to build a house, no social security numbers to track your every move, no need to file taxes every year, not much of a police force to give you a speeding ticket (not sure I like this one), you can park wherever you want and most importantly you can say what the hell you want without being politically correct (except if you live in one of those police states and there are not that many). I guess they don't call it the third-world for nothing. Sometimes lack of infrastructure can mean heaven to the wealthy and the retired especially with pounds or dollars. Now we know why so many islands are the play ground of the rich and famous.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:25 AM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets

My personal thoughts. There was a joke that says the winner is he person that has the most toys when he dies. Facing retirement is the fear, will I have enough. There are many companies making millions of dollars using this fear. The idea of 100% security can be a trap. I know many poor people that are very happy and I know many rich people who are not. When a person tells me they need something. I will ask what does that do for you? Their answer ____ if you had that do you need the first thing? When the answer is yes. I ask what else does it do for you? When they answer no. I will keep asking the same questions. In time it comes down to a feeling. Example: It makes me feel comfortable; it makes me feel happy, it makes me complete, etc. So I tell them to get the feeling first and all other thing are just bonus.
Also when I go over 100 years old I will give you health tips.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:11 AM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ug
I read last night that George Burns dedicated his autobiography to the widows of his six doctors...

Old 02-20-2007, 08:34 AM   #116
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ug
O.K. dOug, you've sold me on the idea.

But before I make a firm committment,

Hows the fly-fishing?

How's the Golf?

Does your wife have any younger sisters?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2007, 10:13 AM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
O.K. dOug, you've sold me on the idea.

Hows the fly-fishing?

I don't know of any but there probably is

How's the Golf?

There is lots of golf courses. Matter of fact they are building a large development with 3 golf courses about six miles form my house

Yes she is 4 years old and says she is not interested right now.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2007, 10:18 AM   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*

Hows the fly-fishing?

How's the Golf?

Careful what you wish for, Jarhead...

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:50 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Uh oh

Here comes the wheat bread!!!

heh heh heh
Old 02-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Careful what you wish for, Jarhead...
Hey, Jarhead, I wonder how good or overconfident their short games are on these courses... money to be made on both sides of the sport!