Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Living like a king on pennies
Old 02-28-2007, 06:28 AM   #141
Dryer sheet wannabe

yes doug

[MODERATOR EDIT]

JOE_PANAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2007, 06:26 PM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

If anyone wants infomation on living in the DR or if I can help please PM me.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:39 PM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

dOug.....it sounds like you have indeed made a good life for yourself and your wife there in the DR. More power to you.

We've never been to DR, but we have lived in Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica for varying periods of time, and never in the way that most ex-pats live.

In a small Pacific fishing village in Mexico where we lived for several years, there was a German man in his late 60s with a local wife in her mid twenties. They had two small children and were very happy together.

Good for you. It sounds like you know what is important to you and have made the transition to life in another country in a good way.

True wealth, after all, is what you'd be worth if you lost all your money.....and it sounds like you'd be just fine.

Enjoy life.....it sounds like your wife got herself a fine man.

LooseChickens
loosechickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Life is good
Old 11-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

Life is good

Still living like a king and now have a two-month-old baby girl. My first child. It doesn’t get any better than this.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:57 AM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ug View Post
Still living like a king and now have a two-month-old baby girl. My first child. It doesn’t get any better than this.
Wow, thanks for the update. Good for you! Earlier there were comments about us not understanding the age difference; I think it's because in the US, we think of it as the guy is going through a mid-life crisis, and the woman is a gold digger, but it does seem to be more acceptable in other countries and not viewed in the way I mentioned. We're Chinese; when my dad was in his mid-80's, he went back to China and married a 40 year old in hopes of having children with him (umm, okay, Dad). I was probably about 35 at the time, and all my friends thought he was crazy, but we also heard other stories that were very similar. In dad's case, it didn't work out. He wasn't very nice to her, and they divorced.
retiringby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:21 AM   #146
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats on the little one Doug! Sounds like a great life you have. Keep enjoying it!

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:20 PM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

Conrats Doug, good to hear from you, and glad to hear that things are still working out well.
HobbyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

I was in DR two yrs ago, and until then, I thought that we Canadians and Americans on average were the happiest in the world. After all, our financial wealth is almost unimaginable to most of them.

Once I got well out of the resort and met and watched some of the locals, I realized that they laugh and smile much more naturally and seem far less stressed than "we" do. The pace of everything is slower, and nothing seems to be based on a clock, but so what. I've never said at the end of a day at work, "boy it felt good to run my butt off and not have time for a friendly conversation with a passerby". The people of the DR taught me a valuable lesson about my culture and its shortcomings.

To the OP, best wishes to you and your family. You are fortunate in your situation and surroundings.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:19 PM   #149
Recycles dryer sheets

Great thread!

I've always considered the ex-pat lifestyle, but was always nervous about living in a country where I can't speak the language fluently. In DR, I'd want to understand the lingo to not get myself into a dangerous situation, or the wrong side of town, etc. Thailand, somehow seems a bit less sketchy to me, but still, I'd feel out of place as a falang.

How do you guys get over the feeling of being an "occupier"? Showing off your US-wealth and not being able to communicate properly, I'd imagine, could get you killed.
Olav23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:47 AM   #150
Recycles dryer sheets

I still am not fluent in the language but enough to hold a conversation. Fitting in with a good family helps when I was married the chef of police came to welcome me to the community [not invited] but welcome. The whole community here looks out for me and warns when someone is not who they pretend to be. I do show that I have money. I dress like the poor and do not have a car and do not lend money. I do help people I think need help but I do it in a way that they don’t know it’s me. I feel safer here than I have felt for years.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:11 AM   #151
gone traveling

Quote:
I still am not fluent in the language but enough to hold a conversation. Fitting in with a good family helps when I was married the chef of police came to welcome me to the community [not invited] but welcome. The whole community here looks out for me and warns when someone is not who they pretend to be. I do show that I have money. I dress like the poor and do not have a car and do not lend money. I do help people I think need help but I do it in a way that they don’t know it’s me. I feel safer here than I have felt for years.

What a fantastic thread, d0ug I must PM you, I am fascinated at what you have done. Congrats at that new baby!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:14 AM   #152
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisissogreat View Post
What a fantastic thread, d0ug I must PM you, I am fascinated at what you have done.
What, the part about a 61 year old guy marrying a 17 year old?

Quote:
...we divorced and I married a Dominican lady we have been together now 4 years...
Quote:
I’m 65 this year and my wife is 21.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:33 AM   #153
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisissogreat
What a fantastic thread, d0ug I must PM you, I am fascinated at what you have done.

What, the part about a 61 year old guy marrying a 17 year old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ug
...we divorced and I married a Dominican lady we have been together now 4 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ug
I’m 65 this year and my wife is 21.

no wonder why everyone is happy and all smiles over there.
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:09 AM   #154
Moderator Emeritus

Here's to you making it to 85, be healthy, your child is counting on you!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Still living life too the fulest
Old 11-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #155
Recycles dryer sheets

Still living life too the fulest

Since the last posting I now have a baby boy one month old. I really enjoy having the family I never had. I guess it's never to late to enjoy your life.
Thank to all the people who replied positively to my postings hope you are enjoying life as I do.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #156
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Since the last posting I now have a baby boy one month old. I really enjoy having the family I never had. I guess it's never to late to enjoy your life.
Thank to all the people who replied positively to my postings hope you are enjoying life as I do.
Great news!! Don't be a stranger to the forums, I like living vicariously to some extent through others.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #157
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Way to go Doug!

Como se llama?

ha
Old 11-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #158
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
A good friend of mine, when we were both in our late thirties/early forties loved to rag on his wife, claiming when she turned forty he was going to trade her in for two '20's.

One day at a family gathering he made that comment in front of the wife's grandmother. With a withering stare she looked at my friend and in a voice for the whole gathering to hear proclaimed: "You don't look like you're wired for 220 to me, sonny."

Come to think of it, I don't ever recall him making that joke again ;-)
you GO, grandma!
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Living in th D.R.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #159
Confused about dryer sheets

Living in th D.R.

Hi Doug. JD here. I have been going to the DR almost yearly since 1988. I live here in Ponte Vedra Beach Fl southeast of Jacksonville. My wife (Deb) also loves the DR. We are both into water sports. Me, surfing and windsurfing and Deb, windsurfing...
We have watched Cabarete grow from a sleepy little north coast village to one of the biggest tourist destinations on the whole island. I'm about to retire in Feb and look forward to being able to spend more time down there. I just want you to know "I know how you feel" about the place. Not only is it a beautiful place but the Dominican people are the friendliest I have ever met anywhere, period! Congrats to you for biting the bullet and making the move. I really do envy you and wish you and your new family all the luck in the world... Maybe I'll see you in Marsh if you get around Cabarete... Later, JD
SurfDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:03 AM   #160
Recycles dryer sheets

Cabarete is certainly a place that I intend to visit again some day. I enjoy windsurfing as well, and prior to that visit I thought that I was pretty good at it. I learned to windsurf on Canadian lakes, which translates to mild wind usually and waves all the way up to your ankles. I was battered, bruised, and mildly humiliated from my efforts in DR.

The greatest thing was watching the dozens of windsurfers and kitesurfers out there.

Apart from the crummy air quality due to small 2 cycle motorcycles everywhere, it was my favorite place to just walk around.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote