Join Early Retirement Today

Long slow trigger pull!
Old 04-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Long slow trigger pull!

Been reading here for the past year with some commenting. I kept thinking about when we could retire, (my wife stopped working almost 6 yrs. ago when she was 55-not an official retirement!).

I finally told my employer - small 7 person company - that I was either be retiring or maybe going part time at the end of 2016.

I have 26 weeks of vacation/PT that I can use so I am going to work 3 weeks per month for 26 months and then finish out the rest of 2016. Won't really be Early Retirement as I will be 64.5 at that time! We'll see what happens - it is still a ways away but at least I have set a timeframe for full time work!
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #2

I transitioned into ER first through 6 months of part time work followed by a year and quarter of dependent care leave of absence. When the leave expired I was emotionally ready to pull the trigger and actually resign. This scenario worked well for me.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #3

Gauss - If I decide to go earlier I can use up my time at a faster rate!
Old 04-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #4

A friend did something similar. He had lots of vacation days saved, so he set himself up to take at least one of them in every week that didn't already have a holiday in it. That way he never worked more than four days a week, often just three days. He called it "tapering off."

He loved the arrangement (his boss not so much), and when he ran out of saved days he resigned and retired.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was 80% time and then 50% time over the last 5 years I worked. It was a win-win. I had a good gig and the firm kept access to an experienced resource wtih a broad network of firm and client relationships.

If the nature of the work was such that I could close the door on the days I had off I might still be doing it but unfortunately, the nature of the work was such that I was constantly "on-call" so it was hard to have full days off to do what I wanted to do - so I quit.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #6

Only problem is that you need space on the wall for 3 calendars so you can cross off the days as you go!

Good luck with the plan!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #7

I have 3 walls for calendars- maybe i should use those 1 day at a time ones! - and I miscalculated - I will be 63.5 not 64.5 I feel even better now!
Old 04-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
I have 3 walls for calendars- maybe i should use those 1 day at a time ones! - and I miscalculated - I will be 63.5 not 64.5 I feel even better now!
LOL! Your mind is already going. You may have to pull it in sooner.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #9

ok, only 1 month later and the scenario has changed. Employer, (or should I say owner - it's a very small company). has to do my work when I am on vacation and he doesn't want to have to work long hours 1 week a month each and every month - (eyeroll) - so he said that scenario isn't in the best interest of the company!

So back to the drawing board - I submitted an alternate plan where I take 3 weeks of vacation this year and next and other than that I work 6 hours per day, (30 hrs. per week), and still get full pay through 2015. After that I take a 25% cut in salary and continue to work 6 hour days for 2016. This maintains my company paid health insurance for my wife and I. This proposal was accepted so I guess I can consider myself semi-retired for the next 2.5 years and take it from there.