Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Long time lurker finally joined
Old 05-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Long time lurker finally joined

Hi all,

Been retired about 18 months now from "Blue Sun" megacorp.I have been lurking here for a while longer. OH escaped with me round about the same time.

You will probably notice I am from the UK (don't like tea). I guess one of the big differences reading posts on here is how much you have to plan for health care in the US its a big chunk.

I am currently 54 and escaped into retirement a couple of years earlier than planned, but it turned out to be a good move. I originally thought I would have to work part time for a while to make up the difference, but it turned out that once I had stopped saving up for retirement I had more left than I thought. Happy Days.

Other than that loving every minute of it. Enjoy reading the forum with my morning coffee, some very interesting lives out there.

Thanks everyone
Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome. I lurked this board for a while prior to joining as well. Overall seems a very worthwhile forum.
Denverite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #3
Administrator

Welcome to the site, glad to hear that you find it useful. From your profile you state that you are a "UK Madden fan". Not sure what that is - Maidenhead United maybe
Old 05-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome, Serenity, from across the pond.

Glad to hear that your retirement finances are shaping up to be more serene than had been originally thought.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Welcome to the site, glad to hear that you find it useful. From your profile you state that you are a "UK Madden fan". Not sure what that is - Maidenhead United maybe
Ha Ha. I meant Madden 2018 NFL (American Football to me).
The site was asking for an American state, so this was more of a state of mind.
I started following NFL late last year after watching "All or Nothing" and then became obsessed with the Madden video game.
It's a bit of a heads up that I might be asking some basic NFL questions come September as it still a mystery.

I am ooop north in the UK btw. Rugby League land.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
Ha Ha. I meant Madden 2018 NFL (American Football to me).
The site was asking for an American state, so this was more of a state of mind.
I started following NFL late last year after watching "All or Nothing" and then became obsessed with the Madden video game.
It's a bit of a heads up that I might be asking some basic NFL questions come September as it still a mystery.

I am ooop north in the UK btw. Rugby League land.
Yorkshire or Lancashire perhaps? (I live just south of Middlesbrough)
Old 05-10-2018, 11:24 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to this wonderful site Serenity. Was a 10 month lurker.
We will be ready for your "football" questions. lol
Old 05-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Lancashire.

Assuming you “moved to england” from USA. Might need you to translate.

I have been loving the different view of America I get from posters on here. I have briefly visited NY and D.C. but other than that I mostly believe what I see on tv and film which can be a bit strange sometimes esp when watching Judge Judy.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Lancashire.

I have been loving the different view of America I get from posters on here. I have briefly visited NY and D.C. but other than that I mostly believe what I see on tv and film which can be a bit strange sometimes esp when watching Judge Judy.
Welcome. You couldn’t choose a better translator. Not only does Alan speak true English and that stuff y’all speak over there, he also speaks Texan. A real linguist, he is.

So, your view of the US is NY, DC and Judge Judy? Yikes! You really need to broaden your horizons. Might I suggest adding “Swamp People” and “Real Housevives of Atlanta” to your tv viewing? That’ll round things out nicely.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:59 AM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

So, your view of the US is NY, DC and Judge Judy? Yikes! You really need to broaden you horizons. Might I suggest adding “Swamp People” and “Real Housevives of Atlanta”. That’ll round things out nicely.
I have also seen Buffy, Breaking Bad and The Waltons. Must visit again soon.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #11

I'm an expat Brit in the US now, and I also do not like tea.

More into MMO's than sports games, but the short version to understanding american football: Men tell secrets, run, and fall down.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:37 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Lancashire.

My wife is a "Lancashire Lass", I'm from County Durham originally, we met in West Yorkshire, had a few years in Leicestershire, then North Yorkshire plus a couple of years in SW Scotland (Dumfries) and then 29 years split between South Louisiana and South East Texas before we moved back in 2016.

Although pretty good at understanding dialects (Dumfries was the toughest) I still have a strong Durham accent and even after 29 years had difficulty in being understood in the USA. In Baton Rouge in 2008, after having lived there for 17 years, we went into a supermarket (not our usual one) and I picked up a fresh baked loaf of bread and asked at the counter for it to be sliced, and in the end had to resort to mimicry with a sawing action to get across what I wanted
Old 05-10-2018, 01:07 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Alan, congratulations on weddin a lancashire lass say awreet from me. I have quite a strong local accent and was very often misunderstood when I started work 20 miles away.

Aeries, if you had asked me a year ago I would have agreed with you about american football, but the more I see of it the more I am starting to appreciate it.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I am currently 54 and escaped into retirement a couple of years earlier than planned, but it turned out to be a good move. I originally thought I would have to work part time for a while to make up the difference, but it turned out that once I had stopped saving up for retirement I had more left than I thought. Happy Days.
Welcome.
You know, many "financial experts" ignore the amount of money shoveled into retirement plans by pre-retirees when advising how much is needed to retire on. When that money is taken into consideration, most retirees can live on much less than they had planned.
Well done, by the way.
Or, "jolly good"??
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:38 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post

More into MMO's than sports games, but the short version to understanding american football: Men tell secrets, run, and fall down.
Let me add that when the team finally gets the ball across the goal line, ritual dancing occurs.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:40 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
.... We will be ready for your "football" questions. lol
As long as your questions don't have anything to do with what is or is not a catch.... because candidly, we don't have a clue and it keeps changing.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Welcome. I am a Canuck so have fewer translation issues. Dad was a Glaswegian so I learned that language as a young lad. We are metric so you have an advantage there although a gallon is not a gallon. I have had the benefit of US TV all my life so I am aware of the dark underside of American life.

As they say in Quebec: "Vive la difference!"
Old 05-12-2018, 02:55 AM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

Morning all. Thanks again for the welcome glad I finally stopped lurking.

kcowan have you seen “still game?” that should test your glasgow accent.

pb4usk hi, I know what you mean. I follow rugby league and some of the rules are open to very different interpretation from different officials. frustrating.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:16 AM   #19
Administrator

In 2014 we spent 5 months in Australia and really enjoyed watching the final few games in the Australian Rules football season. Before we started watching I looked up the rules on the internet where the site included the statement that the most difficult thing about Australian football is figuring out why the referee calls a foul.