Join Early Retirement Today

Long time member, first time poster
Old 05-04-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I’ve been a member since 2004 and I thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself. I have never posted before, always putting it off. This forum has educated and entertained me since the days of John Galt and Ted/CFB.
Prior to my full time retirement in 2008 at age 55, I read Bob Clyatt’s book “Work Less, Live More. I think Nords did a book review on it. I worked part time from age 55 until the day I turned 62 in July of last year. I may have worked part time longer but DW (retired since 2005 at age 48) would not let that happen.
I thought I could add some insight to the forum but I knew that I must introduce myself first. Introductory posts a few years ago would give a Myers-Briggs Personality indicator (mine is INTJ), an occupation (Engineer) and a brief description of yourself. At heart, I am a Vanguard Diehard, (I have lurked there as long as this forum but I have never posted). DW and I are both frugal and love to travel. Look forward to posting on other forums.
nubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

You must be a strong "I" (in INTJ) to have be reading so long without posting! Welcome to the world of posters, we look forward to your comments.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
Administrator

Hi nubill. Glad to see you've de-cloaked. So, what have been doing with yourself since last July?
Old 05-04-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Whisper
Very strong I.

Hi Gumby
Like the Star Trek reference. Been catching up on all the spinoff’s with Netflix. Are you the same Gumby at the Bogleheads forum?
I gave my notice in July and told them I would work until the end of August. I was trying to buy back time in the military (1973 to 1975) for my pension and the paperwork was lost. Also, the one handling my retirement at Fed Govt had operation and also could not process me by the end of August. I ended up using paid vacation for Sep and October while I drove to several National Parks in SD, WY, and UT. (favorite is Bryce) Then another trip to MA and back to SC.
Went to FL last month after Spring Break. Climbed the highest elevation in FL (345 feet above sea level). Sometime next month we will visit Wilmington, NC and the Outerbanks, Colonial Williamsburg and Monticello on the way to a family visit in MA again.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:41 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubill View Post
This forum has educated and entertained me since the days of John Galt and Ted/CFB.
Wow. You are definitely a grizzled veteran!

Welcome to the live side of the forum.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:54 PM   #6

Welcome nubill. Not the same as the oldbill.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:15 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Not the same as the oldbill.
Thanks Rodi

The nu is where I got my BSEE. No relation to oldbill.

Edit for clarity.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:31 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A belated welcome and thanks for the post, another damn engineer.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:16 AM   #9

Quote:
I ended up using paid vacation for Sep and October while I drove to several National Parks in SD, WY, and UT. (favorite is Bryce)
Thanks for delurking. Twelve years of read-only mode must be some sort of record!

Of those three states, I'd have to say we enjoyed Yellowstone the most, Bryce a close second. But we didn't make it to Arches.
dixonge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Frayne, I noticed a lot on engineers on the Bogleheads forum also. There seems to be a stereotype of extreme frugality in my former profession. All I can say is, "I resemble that remark".
Old 05-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
Thanks for delurking. Twelve years of read-only mode must be some sort of record!

Of those three states, I'd have to say we enjoyed Yellowstone the most, Bryce a close second. But we didn't make it to Arches.
I know, I could have spent the time being semi proficient in a foreign language or improving my golf game. I liked Yellowstone. I was in Cedar City when they had the flash flood at Zion. Made the detour to Canyonlands and Arches (both beautiful). Then back to Bryce and Zion. DW wants to move to St. George, UT.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #12

Welcome, nubill!

We may have crossed paths last Autumn-- DH and I were touring Zion and Bryce during the same timeframe as you.

Both parks are beautiful. Zion was my favorite, DH preferred Bryce.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #13

Welcome aboard Nubill. You're a man after my own heart, in that you read at length before you type.

I have a blog, in which I describe my home-brew radio projects in some detail. I do so in order to help anyone who is thinking of doing the same thing. Nevertheless, I still get e-mails from readers asking the most basic questions, which make it obvious they have looked at the pictures, but not really read the text to any great extent. I do what I can to be helpful, but it bugs me somewhat when I go to the effort to chronicle my work, yet some of the people who claim to want to learn don't take the time to read and think critically.

It's the same thing with this forum. There are many kind souls here who are very helpful to newcomers who seem to have taken all of 30 seconds to familiarize themselves with the forum before asking a host of questions. I tend to read these posts and think to myself, "If they're so darned interested, why not pull up a chair, pour a cuppa, and spend a few evenings/weeks/months reading all the great information here?

Everyone has different ways of learning, and I guess some folk need direct answers to their questions. It sure does seem like they just don't want to put in much time and effort though.

Anyway, you're obviously not one of those. 12 years lurking. Wow! Welcome aboard!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Welcome aboard Nubill. You're a man after my own heart, in that you read at length before you type.
Anyway, you're obviously not one of those. 12 years lurking. Wow! Welcome aboard!
Thanks for the kind words Major Tom, Who knew procrastination was a virtue.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:08 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks Whisper
Went to FL last month after Spring Break. Climbed the highest elevation in FL (345 feet above sea level). Sometime next month we will visit Wilmington, NC and the Outerbanks, Colonial Williamsburg and Monticello on the way to a family visit in MA again.
Love that INTJ sneaky humor. Welcome from the shadows!
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Love that INTJ sneaky humor.
Your welcome JoeWras, the walk from the parking lot to the monument was less than 50 yards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lakewood Park 5.jpg (178.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 05-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks Rodi

The nu is where I got my BSEE. No relation to oldbill.

Edit for clarity.
That will teach me to try to kid with a EE type (FWIW - my BSEE is from SDSU, lol)

There are definitely a lot of engineering types here.... Probably the most common career among ER-ers.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Welcome, nubill!

We may have crossed paths last Autumn-- DH and I were touring Zion and Bryce during the same timeframe as you.

Both parks are beautiful. Zion was my favorite, DH preferred Bryce.
Thanks Philliefan33, is your avatar from the Narrows at Zion? Here is picture from the Navajo Loop Trail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bryce 2015 38.jpg (1.00 MB, 14 views)
Old 05-06-2016, 05:37 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Hail to purple,hail to white....... Spent too many hours in Tech....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
robertf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:43 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf57 View Post
Hail to purple,hail to white....... Spent too many hours in Tech....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Hi Robert, My NU is Northeastern, back in my day we had a football team and John Calhoun was the basketball coach for the NU Huskies. Haven't put up an avatar yet, maybe the Red and Black "N" will work. Worked with a Northwestern grad (business school) during my career. Very fine school.