Join Early Retirement Today

Looking for list of forum acronyms
Old 04-29-2015, 10:08 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Been an occasional lurker for just over a year. Retirement is getting closer - maybe 2 years. 3 years max. In the meantime, really enjoy all of the personal experience and knowledge being shared by the members.

At this point, where can I find a list of the acronyms used in this forum. I suppose they are useful for the forums, so might as well learn to use them.

Thanks much
Sabaidee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2015, 10:27 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most are common internet chat or financial acronyms , no list I can think of. A quick google search will find most.

The only two specific to this forum I can think of : OMY = "One More Year Syndrome" , RDS = "Recycles Dryer Sheets"
Old 04-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Think this is the list you wanted. It's in the faq subforum.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ad.php?t=34884

🐑
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:46 PM   #4

I appreciate the reply. I will copy/paste this into my notes.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome Sabaidee!
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 03:56 PM   #6

Still finding a few acronyms that are not on this list.
NUA - ??
WR - I would guess withdrawal rate...
SUA - ?

Would like to see if anyone has signed on with Ric Edelman. I have had an initial consultation, and although I am not sure if I will sign over any of my portfolio to them for management, I still think having the CFP on board for all other aspects of my financial planning would be potentially very helpful. I believe that they use Dimensional Fund Advisor (ETFs), as well as some proprietary ETFs. I need to do some more research on these products.

Any reviews, good or bad, on Ric Edelman. Any place to have a look at the DFA funds, and see how they compare to Vanguard or Schwab ETFs.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaidee View Post
Any reviews, good or bad, on Ric Edelman. Any place to have a look at the DFA funds, and see how they compare to Vanguard ETFs, or Fidelity.
Most people here are DIY, although some will have a fee-only FA look over what they're doing. Even if you lag behind a FA that takes a fee, not paying those fees more often than not puts you ahead.

Millionaire Teacher by Andrew Hallam is an often recommended book for beginning investors.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Any place to have a look at the DFA funds, and see how they compare to Vanguard or Schwab ETFs.
There is a pretty good summary of DFA funds here:
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Dimen..._Fund_Advisors
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:18 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

And a recent review of why DFA may be better: http://assetbuilder.com/andrew_halla...better_returns
And there are ways to get DFA approved advisors without having extortion like fees. Thru some 529's and also advisors who charge by what they do and not by the AUM method which makes no sense for passive investing.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Still finding a few acronyms that are not on this list.
NUA - ??
WR - I would guess withdrawal rate...
SUA - ?
NUA- Net unrealized appreciation. Can be a really good thing if your company gave you stock in a qualified plan. Here's a link to investopedia.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/n/...preciation.asp

No ideas what SUA is.

🐑
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:

Would like to see if anyone has signed on with Ric Edelman.
What does the fee structure look like?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:47 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Millionaire Teacher by Andrew Hallam is an often recommended book for beginning investors.
Not that its anywhere near the same, but the title reminded me of a millionaire teacher I had in the mid-70s. In this case he had won the state lottery a few years earlier - he was quite the eccentric not having to worry about a teacher pension.
PhrugalPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:03 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not all are DIY. I just dropped a more expensive advisor but am not ready to drop advisors completely. I had one that mostly dealt with DFA. DFA has done a little better than index funds over the years but not recently. And the advisor used to be passive all the way but no longer. I am willing to pay some to have someone else figure out what to withdraw from and to do timely rebalancing, and also for smooth transition if something happens to me.

Check out Bogleheads forum. The last couple of years Vanguard funds beat DFA and especially my portfolio by a mile. Some fund advisors (Rick Ferri for one) post over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #14

Walt. Thanks for the book recommendation. For beginner investors and also more experienced as well?

So that's what NUA is. Cool. I don't ever plan on writing out those three words - "net unrealized appreciation" again, so will learn that list!

Mickeyd - fee structure was explained to me but do not have it handy right now. With over 2 million in an IRA, I would reach the threshold to be in one of the lowest fee brackets. Low enough to give them custody? Probably not. Just thinking I will continue as a DIY.

I can't say that I have done a great job with my portfolio, but haven't done too terrible either. At this point I am just attracted to the idea of having an Edelman CFP to help with my planning going forward. Been a lot of gut checks (market volatility, career changes, etc), but at this point I am becoming more about capital preservation, rather than growth, and eventually a little portfolio distribution.

All really good responses from everyone. Thanks for the discussion.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
NUA- Net unrealized appreciation. Can be a really good thing if your company gave you stock in a qualified plan. Here's a link to investopedia.

Net Unrealized Appreciation (NUA) Definition | Investopedia

No ideas what SUA is.
Seacoast Utility Authority.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Walt. Thanks for the book recommendation. For beginner investors and also more experienced as well?
Probably not for experienced, they would hopefully already know all that. I myself just use Vanguard index funds in a "couch potato portfolio". From everything I've read that will beat 90% of the pros and that's close enough for me. And frankly, I'm lazy.

But I have read a bunch of the books on investing. There have been many discussions here about which books are good - this is a link to a Google search for those discussions.