Join Early Retirement Today

looking for options
Old 07-17-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

looking for options

Hi everybody,

I am new to this forum, but I am glad I found it.
I just started reading and doing reasearch to my problem, so at this point any help will be much apreciated.
My mom who lives overseas got sick and I am thinking about moving overther and take care of her, but I am not sure how I could do this with a maximum amount of money (and less taxes of course).
In short:I have a gov job, on PERS, the salary is pretty good and been working there for about 11 years now. I am only 41 years old, no kids, no mortgage and no other monthly payments I have to make.
Years ago I worked on SS, but I don't have enough credits and anyway SS would be offset by PERS.
What options I have for a decent monthly income? I don't really need to buy anything, I have a car, I only need food (not much though) and pay some utility bills.
Cashing out my PERS doesn't seem to be the best idea because I will need to pay a fee plus income tax.
I have some savings that would last for a few years.

Thanks
tooyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1. Where is "overseas"? It makes a lot of difference between France and Burma, say.
2. Can you put some numbers on your savings?
3. Can you get a sabbatical from your job?
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Is Mom too disabled to move here rather than you going there (and thus losing your career)?

At least here you could continue working after family leave and arrange home care or whatever she needs.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #4

Overseas is in Bulgaria and I have maybe about 40-45K in cash (without the retirement $).
My mom is not disabled, she has cancer, but I was thinking about being there with her. This would translate into looking for RE or something else.
Bringing her over here is not going to make her happy plus she can get more help overseas because of our relatives.
I should have mentioned in my initial post that I started thinking about RE a while ago before I found out about my mom, but I don't know where to start. Now I found this forum and started reading thru.
Thanks.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooyoung View Post
Overseas is in Bulgaria and I have maybe about 40-45K in cash (without the retirement $).
My mom is not disabled, she has cancer, but I was thinking about being there with her. This would translate into looking for RE or something else.
Bringing her over here is not going to make her happy plus she can get more help overseas because of our relatives.
I should have mentioned in my initial post that I started thinking about RE a while ago before I found out about my mom, but I don't know where to start. Now I found this forum and started reading thru.
Thanks.
Sorry to hear about your mother. Some years ago I faced a similar situation. I offered to bring my mother to this country. She nixed the idea for the same reasons that your Mom has done so.

I was not FI and not ready to RE and I did not move. I took compassionate leave (6 weeks) and spent every vacation looking after her, and put systems in place for when I was not there. It was a very stressful time. I don't have an answer for you but I do wish you well.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Sorry to hear about your mother. Some years ago I faced a similar situation. I offered to bring my mother to this country. She nixed the idea for the same reasons that your Mom has done so.

I was not FI and not ready to RE and I did not move. I took compassionate leave (6 weeks) and spent every vacation looking after her, and put systems in place for when I was not there. It was a very stressful time. I don't have an answer for you but I do wish you well.
Thanks and sorry for your mom too. it's difficult for older people to move out of their country, even for younger ones.
Taking time off it's paid/unpaid is a good idea, at least it keeps some of the income on. I could take about 2 months paid time off each year, but I was thinking of more than that.
If I could retire now, with that pension I could have a decent living in Bulgaria.