Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The biggest problem with survey data is that it only comes from people who like to provide survey data.

The second-biggest problem with survey data is that everybody lies. Especially about sex and money surveys, although not always in that order...
Nords is right about the lying on surveys. I remember when the school district came back with this horrible data about the degree of drug use and premaritual sexual intercourse going on in our middle schools. I mentioned the awfulness of this to my daughter who at the time was a middleschooler in one of these schools. She started laughing and shortly rolling on the floor tears in her eyes when I told her about the new programs the district was implementing as a result of the survey.

She said that she was part of one of the more sane groups in regards to the survey. Everyone of her friends and her reported that they'd had almost every variation of sex listed, and that they all did it without protection at least once a month. In regard to the drug use, they reported that they toked up before coming to school at least once a week.

Everybody lies, and not just about sex and money. 40 years in mental health services gives me the same attitudes as cops. I trust very very few people about anything.

Z

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Not so! I dislike surveys but answered anyway. Longhorn affiliation...
Are you sure it's not only you?
OK, maybe everyone lies about enjoying surveys as well.

I can understand why teens seek out a hedonistic survey experience. When I participate in a focus group, I get paid $60-$100 for a couple hours' conversation. The conversation's not bad, but I like the money part a LOT more. It's just the way my brain appears to be hardwired.

At one of her commands spouse had a CO who was a Covey nut. He actually spent your taxpayer dollars to bring the Covey team out to his command to deliver the advanced training and to later administer the "workplace environment" surveys. The only problem was that this group of skeptical officers and (even more skeptical) senior enlisted had by this time become so disgusted with the impracticalities of his admonitions like "sharpen the saw" that they avenged themselves on the survey. They actually sharpened their saws on him told (*gasp*) the truth about the hypocrisy of the application of the training.

The Covey guys quickly responded that it was by far the worst survey data they'd ever seen. It was so bad that a veteran on the Covey group anonymously dropped the dime on that CO with the Navy's fraud, waste, & abuse hotline by faxing over an anonymous copy of the results.

So a little while later a team from the Navy's Inspector General office administered a very different set of surveys at that command in person, under oath, and with no optional participation. The results were even more horrific than those obtained by the Covey team. That CO had the most godawful confused look on his face at the "change of command" because he just couldn't understand why Covey leadership principles weren't working for him.

That's probably the only accurate way to obtain "survey" data-- mandatory, in person, and prefaced with UCMJ warnings...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
The biggest problem with survey data is that it only comes from people who like to provide survey data.

The second-biggest problem with survey data is that everybody lies. Especially about sex and money surveys, although not always in that order...
I don't think I have ever lied in an optional survey. But when it comes to mandatory surveys at work with questions about how good my supervisor is/was, I plead the 5th amendment. I just never believed those were as confidential as they were supposed to be.

Oh, and I like surveys if they are strictly for academic interest. Otherwise, blech.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't think I have ever lied in an optional survey. But when it comes to mandatory surveys at work with questions about how good my supervisor is/was, I plead the 5th amendment. I just never believed those were as confidential as they were supposed to be.

Oh, and I like surveys if they are strictly for academic interest. Otherwise, blech.
I get deluged with surveys that are done for academic interest. I now ignore all but those that interest me. I don't lie, but sometimes I give them a piece of my mind.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Survey results are all true. I think.
Survey: Librarians get frisky in stacks - UPI.com
Old 04-19-2010, 11:43 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I took it the survey it was painless.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
OK, maybe everyone lies about enjoying surveys as well.

I can understand why teens seek out a hedonistic survey experience. When I participate in a focus group, I get paid $60-$100 for a couple hours' conversation. The conversation's not bad, but I like the money part a LOT more. It's just the way my brain appears to be hardwired.

At one of her commands spouse had a CO who was a Covey nut. He actually spent your taxpayer dollars to bring the Covey team out to his command to deliver the advanced training and to later administer the "workplace environment" surveys. The only problem was that this group of skeptical officers and (even more skeptical) senior enlisted had by this time become so disgusted with the impracticalities of his admonitions like "sharpen the saw" that they avenged themselves on the survey. They actually sharpened their saws on him told (*gasp*) the truth about the hypocrisy of the application of the training.

The Covey guys quickly responded that it was by far the worst survey data they'd ever seen. It was so bad that a veteran on the Covey group anonymously dropped the dime on that CO with the Navy's fraud, waste, & abuse hotline by faxing over an anonymous copy of the results.

So a little while later a team from the Navy's Inspector General office administered a very different set of surveys at that command in person, under oath, and with no optional participation. The results were even more horrific than those obtained by the Covey team. That CO had the most godawful confused look on his face at the "change of command" because he just couldn't understand why Covey leadership principles weren't working for him.

That's probably the only accurate way to obtain "survey" data-- mandatory, in person, and prefaced with UCMJ warnings...
Oh, goody - one of those mandatory surveys. Heck, I even hate the rate your commander surveys - taking them and receiving the results. Even though I am not that type of person, I've learned over the years that some people just like to yank other people's chains for entertainment or schadenfreude. Can be a rude awakening if you are one of the more transparent types.....
Old 04-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #28
gone traveling

Tried to complete the survey, impossible to answer "other" on #16 and #17. A couple of other questions were too ambiguous to provide an accurate response. IMO, the survey is fundamentally flawed and therefore the results will be statistically meaningless. If this is the curriculum basis for a masters program in modern portfolio theory, I'm moving into all cash....... The Wall Street whiz kids already hosed me twice.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #29
Confused about dryer sheets

As promised, here are the initial survey results based on responses so far.

I do hope this doesn't bias anyone who hasn't already tried the survey.
Investment Market Size Survey

Results thus far:
91% male
40% between 27-32
21% between 49-58
56% graduate degree
16% with >25 stocks in portfolio
12% with 3 stocks in portfolio
52% do not invest in bonds
84% do not use options
20% engage in short selling
15% engage in buying on margin
33% buy and hold for more than a year
52% use fundamental analysis
40% use technical analysis and/or research reports
85% do not invest abroad
51% interest in portfolio optimization product
42% willing to incur brokerage fees to rebalance portfolio optimally
Old 04-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn09 View Post
As promised, here are the initial survey results based on responses so far.

Are these results from ER.org alone, or other sources also?

Ha
Old 04-21-2010, 09:14 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:

Results thus far:
91% male
40% between 27-32
21% between 49-58
56% graduate degree
16% with >25 stocks in portfolio
12% with 3 stocks in portfolio
52% do not invest in bonds
84% do not use options
20% engage in short selling
15% engage in buying on margin
33% buy and hold for more than a year
52% use fundamental analysis
40% use technical analysis and/or research reports
85% do not invest abroad
51% interest in portfolio optimization product
42% willing to incur brokerage fees to rebalance portfolio optimally
Excellent. All the information I need to freep the poll. I'll be an 18 year old female who buys on margin (cue maniacal laughter).
Old 04-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Are these results from ER.org alone, or other sources also?
Multiple sources. The single largest source being classmates, hence the 27-32 age concentration.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I find it incredible that 85% do not invest abroad.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:43 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I don't think this survey actually asked that question - at least not in a way to get to that conclusion. What it did ask was:

Quote:
Do you trade on any international exchanges, excluding ADRs? (Select all that apply)

I do not invest abroad.
Nikkei
Shenzhen
Stock Exchange of Hong Kong
FTSE
Russian Securities Market News
Frankfurt Stock Exchange
Other (please specify)
What about those of us who buy mutual funds holding international stocks?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #35

Quote:
I quit the survey when the following
Quote:
Do you trade on any international exchanges, excluding ADRs? (Select all that apply)

I do not invest abroad.
Nikkei
Shenzhen
Stock Exchange of Hong Kong
FTSE
Russian Securities Market News
Frankfurt Stock Exchange
Other (please specify)
refused my selection of "Other (TSX)"

If you can't answer "YES" then "NO" gets out of proportion. As they used to say in geekland GIGO
Old 04-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #36

Quote:
I am one that answered that way, for 2 main reasons.

1) Most of the stocks I own (PG, JNJ, KO, etc) are large multinationals that get half or more of their revenue from overseas.

2) Most of my investments are in my IRAs, and I invest for long-term, growing dividends. Most countries tax dividends, offset by a tax credit here that I cannot take because the stock would be in my IRA.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #37

Quote:
The 85% is slightly inflated because it excludes index funds, ETFs, and ADRs. Most investors get their international diversification using one of those means.

However I believe it can still be concluded that the majority of investors do not invest abroad.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
However I believe it can still be concluded that the majority of investors do not invest abroad.
The way this poll is structured you can conclude whatever you want to conclude.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

....especially if you ARE abroad!

Or even......a Broad!
Old 04-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I was wondering how the following kind of investor should answer your poll questions:

They use predominantly index funds or ETFs.

They do not use an advisor.

They pay no commissions to buy/sell and the expense ratios on their investments range from 0.01% to 0.4% averaging around 0.15%.

They do not invest in individual stocks nor in individual bonds nor on margin nor in options.

They invest in US total market index, US small cap value index, Foreign total market index, foreign small cap index, REIT index, total bond index, and a short-term bond index.

They tax-loss harvest in their taxable account which sometimes requires no trades in a year, but sometimes requires 50 or more trades in a year.

They rebalance when warranted which is sometimes several times a year, but sometimes once in 4 years.