Join Early Retirement Today

Looking to Retire
Old 06-01-2005, 05:08 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Looking to Retire

Hi, I have been lurking here for the last couple of months and have finally developed the nerve to ask a couple of questions.* I am 57 years old and work for the US Government.* I have 32 years and three months an eligable to retire.* My wife retired 1 April this year.* My main question is should I follow her and go ahead and retire.* I really want to, but as a lot of you know there is always second thoughts, but you guys got me really thinking about it.* We dont have a lot saved away maybe around 160K in different IRAs, TSP, stock and mutual funds.* Our main source of income would come from my retirement and my wife's retirement (County Government).* With both her and my retirement we should net around $4,100 to $4,200 a month that is after taxes, health and life insurance, and survivors benefit for my wife.* I still owe about 22K on the house mortage which ends up costing about $412.00 per month and should be paid off in about three to four years.* No other loans or CC debit.* Cost of living is fairly low in this area.* *Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.* THanks
rluetgenau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Looking to Retire
Old 06-01-2005, 05:17 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluetgenau
Hi, I have been lurking here for the last couple of months and have finally developed the nerve to ask a couple of questions.* I am 57 years old and work for the US Government.* I have 32 years and three months an eligable to retire.* My wife retired 1 April this year.* My main question is should I follow her and go ahead and retire.* I really want to, but as a lot of you know there is always second thoughts, but you guys got me really thinking about it.* We dont have a lot saved away maybe around 160K in different IRAs, TSP, stock and mutual funds.* Our main source of income would come from my retirement and my wife's retirement (County Government).* With both her and my retirement we should net around $4,100 to $4,200 a month that is after taxes, health and life insurance, and survivors benefit for my wife.* I still owe about 22K on the house mortage which ends up costing about $412.00 per month and should be paid off in about three to four years.* No other loans or CC debit.* Cost of living is fairly low in this area.* *Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.* THanks
The key in your post is "I really want to" Dump the job I made my move at age
49. Wish I'd gone sooner.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:32 AM   #3

Didn't you post this exact same post a couple of days ago?

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...48649#msg48649
Old 06-01-2005, 07:20 AM   #4

Quote:
..$4,200 a month that is after taxes, health and life insurance, and survivors benefit for my wife.
What are you waiting for? We can easily live on that.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:25 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
What are you waiting for? We can easily live on that.
Spanky, the issue isn't whether or not you can live on $4,200/mo. but whether or not rluetgnau can...or really wants to.

REW
Old 06-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #6

4200 per month guaranteed? Go for it quickly before you get sick or die.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:10 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

WARNING: Humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
4200 per month guaranteed? Go for it quickly before you get sick or die.
But you have to take inflation into account! [This is the part with Humor.]

After all, the CSRS retirement annuity includes adjustments for inflation. [Increases only, no reductions in the unlikely event of deflation.] It includes federal Health Benefits at the same prices that Government Employees pay.

Have fun.

John Russell
JWR1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:11 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Which 'inflation' is that JWR? Yours, mine or the version the federal government puts out?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:41 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Two questions ?

rluetgenau, haven't you got a means to negotiate a "goodbye" package of at least 22k to pay back the mortgage and start clear of debt ? Would they get convinced with a short explaination that it will cost them less to give you the 22k than to keep paying someone with limited motivation...

JG, you said you made your move @ 49 and regret not to have made it before. Could you elaborate a bit on that ?

Finally TromboneAl made it right <<4200 per month guaranteed? Go for it quickly before you get sick or die.>> I like that one !
Old 06-10-2005, 04:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluetgenau
Hi, I have been lurking here for the last couple of months and have finally developed the nerve to ask a couple of questions. I am 57 years old and work for the US Government. I have 32 years and three months an eligable to retire. My wife retired 1 April this year. My main question is should I follow her and go ahead and retire. I really want to, but as a lot of you know there is always second thoughts, but you guys got me really thinking about it. We dont have a lot saved away maybe around 160K in different IRAs, TSP, stock and mutual funds. Our main source of income would come from my retirement and my wife's retirement (County Government). With both her and my retirement we should net around $4,100 to $4,200 a month that is after taxes, health and life insurance, and survivors benefit for my wife. I still owe about 22K on the house mortage which ends up costing about $412.00 per month and should be paid off in about three to four years. No other loans or CC debit. Cost of living is fairly low in this area. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. THanks
Rlue,

Whats up with the wife? Retired in april and you are still working

3 things....
Cash out
Grab DW (if she hasn't already left the building)
Start living
Old 06-10-2005, 05:22 AM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

Poyet/Bum, Thanks. No Goodbye package in the cards I am and air traffic controller and have passed the mandatory retirement age due to a snafu. Should have retired at 56 but am waiting on a waiver. I want to go under my terms. So you see the government will certalnly not pay 25K under those circumstances. Bum one good thing about it my wife was so excited to retire she promised to wait on me hand and foot until I retire. It's nice getting up and having breakfast ready and your lunch prepared, etc, etc. Not a bad deal at all. All that being said I will most retire in Sept 05 or Jan 06.
rluetgenau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 05:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by poyet
Two questions ?

rluetgenau, haven't you got a means to negotiate a "goodbye" package of at least 22k to pay back the mortgage and start clear of debt ? Would they get convinced with a short explaination that it will cost them less to give you the 22k than to keep paying someone with limited motivation...

JG, you said you made your move @ 49 and regret not to have made it before. Could you elaborate a bit on that ?

Finally TromboneAl made it right <<4200 per month guaranteed?* Go for it quickly before you get sick or die.>> I like that one !
Elaborate? With pleasure

The ER bug bit in 1992. Previously there was no planning and precious little saving. Thus, if I had begun prep for ER at oh, say 40.......well, I would have had quite a pile at age 49. Or, I could have quit much earlier than that with the same lifestyle I enjoy now. If I had even taken full advantage of the 4 years
I worked in ER (short term/PT) it would have made a big difference.
I am no longer able to do a lot of the work I once did. Now, I don't want to work even PT. It's nice to have the option though. Summary: I ERed with almost no serious prep. I'm not saying it was a big struggle, but just a little more foresight would have expanded my options a lot. No complaints, just a little
hindsight musing.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 07:21 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks John for your contribution. Sorry for rluetgenau not to have a means to get some sort of bonus package.

Good reading you anyway. I'm 45, pulling the plug before end of August, I've struggled two years to led them understand that without a good severance package (which will be just 2% of my assets but they fortunately have no knowledge of that !) they might have some problems..., have 100x my annual budget in investments / assets / estate and still feel not at ease as having been an IT man when you turn the page, there's no way to be back to business. Gone ! You're ER => end of it. Nobody will hire you, never ever again, professional death. 2 daughters and a wife to support, so I'd better not make a mistake.

But, I'm looking for it now
Can't stand it any longer. Enough is enough :-)
I like skiing, funboarding, diving, roller scating, modelling, astronomy, etc.

Furthermore, I've developed a trading expert system which should lead to a new life and I cannot stand any longer the idea to have a boss. Fu.. the boss !

Good luck to rluetgenau.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:41 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

John usually forgets to mention that his wife still works and pays the bills, so take the advice that you can quit without any plans or signficant resources and make a go of it with a grain of salt.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:51 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, th, JG has a bit of help, probably much welcome !

Nevertheless, JG is right at some point letting things run 2/3 years more shift significantly the situation. This is what I have experienced these last 3 years, though I'm kind of psychologically exhausted now and need to break free.

Patrice.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:30 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Poyet,

Where do you do your astronomy? My husband has been into it for about a year. We live in Baltimore City, so not much good viewing around here! We're taking the scope with us on vacation in Vermont.
smooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:24 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi smooch,

Some images are available @ http://cic.cstb.fr/amsee/
Telescopes @ http://cic.cstb.fr/amsee/scopes/scopes.htm
French riviera, alt. 1250 meters, 25 inch scopes.

Looking for "full deployment" of ER in October to break free and restart observing which I quit in 1996.

Having small house (enlarged &) refurbished to relocate later on...

Patrice.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by poyet

I like roller scating etc.

Furthermore, I've developed a trading expert system which should lead to a new life and I cannot stand any longer the idea to have a boss. Fu.. the boss !

Good luck to rluetgenau.

Hobbies and sports are important, but roller scating!?!

Congrats on your committment to ER. Tough for IT guys but there are enough of them around here that will attest to the benefits. Stay the course!

Old 06-15-2005, 07:41 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Must be skating :-) ?

Yes , must be plenty of young IT men / women ready to work...
Time for them !
Old 06-15-2005, 03:02 PM   #20

Thats the spirit! Move on! My psych buddy likes to say, "One door closes, another opens." Be open to the changes.