Join Early Retirement Today
loosehead breaks free
Old 09-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe
loosehead breaks free

My wife's and my five year plan has come to fruition. I am relaxing into my second day of retirement (as I do not count Labor Day.) This may end up being a quasi-retirement as I have had a few offers to come back next year and work on a casual part-time basis. We will see...

We are both 55 and she broke free of corporate America 5 years ago. All kids are out of the house, which we just sold. The family is growing grandkids at a rapid rate...4 and counting now; one of which we keep on a regular basis as both of his parents are deaf. We currently rent and plan to do so until the boy is older and has his speech and behavior well developed. Ultimately we would like to move to where there are 4 seasons and definitely cooler in the summers (Western North Carolina would also put us within 3-4 hours of my two daughters)

Basically, we have 10 years of cash(cd's, money market, and others bringing in 7.5% thus far this year) available to supplement our pensions.The "cash" is ~ 1/3 of our accumulated wealth. My wife has her own part-time business which also helps! The other 2/3's will be in DFA, 80% of which will be stock funds.

We have developed a laundry list of activities to keep the mind sharp(or get it there) and get back to our formerly svelte selves. Probably a hundred years worth of activity!

We greatly enjoyed and used the forum contents to help us during the planning and preparation stages.

All our best,

loosehead and TxDakini

loosehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
Welcome to the boards

Of course, I have to point out the life after FIRE forum for you, since belong there now but since you benefited from the other forums, we look forward to sharing what worked for you and what didn't.

Angels danced on the day that you were born.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
Greetings from a fellow Texan and congrats on your ER even if it does turn out to be QR (quasi retirement). QR can be on your own terms and that is all good.

Look forward to visiting with you on the forum. There is a wealth of good information here, as you already know, and plenty of terrific people who post. I know you will have a lot to add.

TexasGal is offline   Reply With Quote