LT Lurker dreaming of HI

Nunyaa

Dryer sheet wannabe
As the title says, I've followed this board for several years but finally signed up for an account.

About me: Single, no dependents. Have Federal Govt job and hoping to retire in 2018 [age 50] and move to HI.

Lived on Oahu many years ago when I was in the military and hoping to move back to HI. Nords posts are an inspiration, although I won't have the military pension and access to commissaries, etc. since I didn't retire from the military.

Retirement income will come from a variety of sources:
Age 50+: FERS pension & Taxable accounts
Age 60+: TSP withdrawals, Roth IRA
Age 70+: SS

I'll get into specifics on other posts since this is just an introduction.

Welcome. HI is also my long term (5 - 10 year) plan; I'll likely snowbird between Midwest then head to HI for 3 - 4 months when it gets cold.

Welcome to the forum Nunyaa. As one of the HI contingent of the forum, I hope you can live out your dream as I and several others have done. Looking forward to hearing more about your plans. You bring back fond memories.

Aloha

What the heck? How come everyone is moving to HI? Was there a memo?

Welcome, Nunyaa! Nice avatar.

[-]Have you not been reading my posts?[/-] The Hawaii Visitors & Conventions Bureau goes into full-court press mode this time of year, with merciless ads on Mainland TV and with everyone doing shaka at the Pro Bowl...

Besides, REWahoo!'s driving them all out of Texas. They all have to go somewhere.

LOL..Mine must have gotten lost along with the memo about the TPS reports. I'm heading to Kauai in March to do some camping/hiking/seeing if I still like the islands. The downside is that it'll probably make the wait until 2018 seem like an eternity, but I've got to hit that magical minimum retirement age for the FERS pension and keep saving aggressively for the next 6 years to make this dream financially viable.

It's funny how HI effects people differently. We had friends living there we visited several years ago. He loved it there; DW not so much. They ended up moving back to the southeast US. But it got me thinking how wonderful it would be to have friends living all over the world in the best places to visit. You could travel continuously and see places through the eyes of those who live there. I should have thought about that years ago to develop those links.:facepalm:

The Hawaii Visitors & Conventions Bureau goes into full-court press mode this time of year, with merciless ads on Mainland TV and with everyone doing shaka at the Pro Bowl...
Maybe better left unsaid, but I was surprised at the counterpoint in the opening narrative for The Descendants movie. Contrary to every other impression I've heard...HI sounds like paradise to me.

Last edited:
I hope lots of folks retire to HI. I managed a 3 week trip for work but dang things were expensive. However, if you all move there then maybe I can get them to give me a condo in south Fla or the keys where we would love to winter. ;-}

I hope lots of folks retire to HI. I managed a 3 week trip for work but dang things were expensive. However, if you all move there then maybe I can get them to give me a condo in south Fla or the keys where we would love to winter. ;-}

Heh, Heh, you are welcome to the Florida spot I didn't take! (Full disclosure, I never looked for such a place though I've been to Florida several times.)

Can't deny HI is relatively expensive. Still, adaptable folks mange just fine here if they so desire. Like most things in life, passion (in this case, for Hawaii) helps you to adapt in ways you might never have otherwise considered. YMMV

Heh, Heh, you are welcome to the Florida spot I didn't take! (Full disclosure, I never looked for such a place though I've been to Florida several times.)

Can't deny HI is relatively expensive. Still, adaptable folks mange just fine here if they so desire. Like most things in life, passion (in this case, for Hawaii) helps you to adapt in ways you might never have otherwise considered. YMMV

Hehe - maybe once we get the places, you can take a break and visit us and we can visit you. Summers in HI, winters in Fla.

Enjoy your dream. In advertising and life today, I hear the term "you deserve it" way too much. But this is one time I feel safe in saying "you deserve it!"

Maybe better left unsaid, but I was surprised at the counterpoint in the opening narrative for The Descendants movie. Contrary to every other impression I've heard...HI sounds like paradise to me.
Unlike many movies shot on Kauai, the crew made an exceptional effort to get it right.

A lot of the subplots were taken from local newspapers over the last decade.

I've suggested to my (born & raised here) daughter that she should start a Hawaii 5-0 blog on all the local things they say/do/show that are completely wrong.

Back
Top Bottom