Join Early Retirement Today
LuckyDude from CA
Old 01-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado
LuckyDude from CA

Long-time lurker and first-time poster here. Iíve enjoyed reading and learning from the forum over the last couple of years, and finally decided to step out of the shadow.

A bit about myself:
  • Happily married with kids. DW and I are both mid-career professionals working for Mega Corps.
  • We are faithful followers of LBYM, and save about 50% of our take home pay.
  • Our portfolio is about 13 times our annual income in a mix of stocks/bonds/real estate/gold. Mortgage is paid off, and kidsí college tuitions are fully funded.
  • Achieved FI about three years ago thru LBYM and no small measure of dumb luck, but have continued to work by choice, as comps and benefits are good, and we are lucky to have a great work-life balance with flex hours and tele-commuting. No immediate plans to ER just yet.
I look forward to being a part of this great community.

luckydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Welcome luckydude. Sounds like you are indeed a lucky dude!

From another Californian

ER, for all intents and purposes. Part-time income <5% of annual expenditure.
Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Welcome aboard, luckydude. It's always nice to hear from posters who have reached FI.

Hope to see more posts from you in the future.

omni550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #4
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
Welcome! You indeed sound like one lucky dude.

I also lurked for years before registering, and lurked another year or do before posting for the first time.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
Sounds great Luckydude. Mostly it seems like you made your own luck. One thing you didn't provide was your age. Good thing to know on a forum such as this.

Welcome aboard.
LeavingOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
Hi Luckydude - welcome.
I'm also in CA.
The real estate you mention - is that investment properties, or your primary residence?

If I include my primary residence, I get numbers similar to you - (13 x income)... but since I have no plans to move, I don't tend to count it in my nest egg.
(I need to figure out a way to count the income unit on our property - it can't be sold separately, but it generates rental income.)
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado
Hi Rodi---

My "number" doesn't include my primary residence; I don't consider it part of my portfolio since, like you, I have no plans to move in the near future.

Most of my portfolio is in stocks and bonds. The real estate part is just some land that I lease out for grazing and farming. It's a minor part of my portfolio---enough to generate some pocket change after taxes and insurance, but not nearly enough to live on. I'm not counting on this for my retirement.

Hi LeavingOhio---

I'm in my mid-40's---getting up there in age

luckydude is offline   Reply With Quote