Join Early Retirement Today

Lurker deciding to unlurk!
Old 01-06-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Lurker deciding to unlurk!

Unbelieveable, but I have been lurking for about - oh, a YEAR so I finally decided to register, join, etc.* I am 40 (still getting used to saying that) and am planning to semi-retire at 50 depending on health insurance situation.* I just paid off my little tiny condo (850 sq. ft) in Florida and will begin to max out my 401(k) this year and start a Roth.* Single but engaged, no kids of my own...I absolutely love coming to the forum and I try to visit every day...
siwanwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Lurker deciding to unlurk!
Old 01-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, let me be the first to say "Welcome"!

If you love this place, I'd have to question your sanity, but you should fit right in!! :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the welcome...and I question my sanity every day! I go on and on about FI and ER with my fiancee and his eyes just glaze over...hardly the reaction I hope for, you know?! In every area except this one we are perfect for each other. I mean, he's frugal and all, but he has a kind of low income and very high outgo (3 daughters) so money for him has been a horrifying experience for years, not something to get excited about like it is for me. But I'm trying to get him to look at money in a different way. So far, it seems to be working a little.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum. I like reading this forum every day also. I usually read and try to learn, since there is so many smart people here!

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board, Siwanwales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siwanwales
I go on and on about FI and ER with my fiancee and his eyes just glaze over...hardly the reaction I hope for, you know?!* But I'm trying to get him to look at money in a different way.
Ruh-roh. Hopefully he'll be OK looking at it while you're the one holding it.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:42 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just paid off my little tiny condo (850 sq. ft) in Florida and will begin to max out my 401(k) this year and start a Roth. Single but engaged

Good luck, marrying a man with 3 kids and no money might make it hard to retire so soon if you don't have any saving to speak of yet.You know at 50 you won't be able to spend your 401K money without penalty. If you file a joint tax return and he is working you might be in a high bracket until you both retire. Maybe the medical will work out if you can be covered on his plan.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #7

Thanks for the welcomes and responses. Nords - he's coming along, slowly but surely but until then, it is defintely look but don't touch!

I guess I didn't really clarify my situation that well - I have about $92K in retirement savings, and about $18K in non-retirement savings so far. But with the condo paid off, I will be ramping up the savings rates. My fiancee has three girls; one who's 19, one who's 16 and one who's 14 so once the child support ends, he'll be able to save (alot) more.
I will probably rollover my 401(k) to an IRA and then take 72(T) distributions (but I still have to make sure I understand those...at least I have 10 years to do it!)
Again, thanks for the welcome - I appreciate it!