Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
I like Asheville LOTS more than Greenville. The weather is much more comfortable and there are more activities in Asheville. Here in Georgia 35K of retirement income (which includes pensions, SS, annuities, IRA/401 witrhdrawals, and other investment income) is excluded from taxes after age 62. After age 65 it goes up to 65K so most older retirees are paying no state income tax here. OTOH, much of Georgia is as hot and humid as Greenville.

CW4, USA-(ret)
RN, BSN-(ret)
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Where in georgia do you live?
Looking for festivals, lakes, camping, and a cute town to visit downtown once per week

NoOneGetsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
Savannah. There is quite a bit to do and see here though not much camping. The cost of living is lower in the smaller towns all across the south. Many of them have cute downtowns that are pretty quiet most of the time but do have saturday activities.
CW4, USA-(ret)
RN, BSN-(ret)
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:53 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
People who are frugal enough to retire early are a small minority of the overall population. You are correct - many don't get it. I can't think of any way to find FIRE people as we tend to be rather discrete.
Originally Posted by NoOneGetsIt View Post
I don't know about you but neighbors and even family don't 'get it' about saving and retiring. They don't understand that you don't HAVE to have TV, the newest iPhone etc.

I am curious how we can meet those of like minds when we move to South Carolina...any ideas on how one can meet those FIRE type individuals [just learned what FIRE stood for today and I love it!]

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote