Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Did you look at what my birth date is? (as a helper, something coughed up during one of the prior forum conversions that required my birthdate to assure I was over 13/18/something). I'm surprised that didnt trip up Unclemick...

As a sign of my ongoing cooperation, and to foster some random persons amusement, its 4/1/1929.

Aprilllll Fooooooollllllssss!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #182
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Hee hee!! I would have explained that she is a German actress and model, but there wasn't any room. In real life, I am a dumpy, grey (or is it white?) haired 59 year old woman with glasses.
Hmmm - right except I'm a 64 yr old guy - AND I've never been to Missoula - honest would I fib .

But I did admit the Pats are a good football team - right here on this very forum.

Buuut if you persist in the young Blond posting from a basement room in Missoula myth - who am I to quibble.

heh heh heh - I'm keeping my Curmudgeon certificate no matter what!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #183
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
The real thing may be even better ...
OK, I'll go with that - what can it hurt (other than distracting me from the excellent content of WTR's posts)?

-ERD50 (no avatar because I'm lazy)
Old 01-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

I've got one for ya...

I'd post it, but it'd get moderated out pretty quick.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #185
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Yep, and you're one of them.

Lets get real for a minute here. Re-read the thread afresh with a cleansed palate.

We have a new poster, seems a bit spammish and advertisingish, gets a little skepticism, answers direct questions indirectly, suggests newsletters and market timing investing schemes, gets more skepticism, claims she's being persecuted for being a woman, answers more direct questions indirectly, in the middle of this a couple of board malcontents decided to pour gas on the fire with their incessant whining about how they dont like the board and its occupants and this being a prime example of some sort of alleged tar and feathering, then the OP rants like a 12 year old on the way to taking her ball and going home.

Follow up with a chaser of more board malcontents whining about how they dont like it here, mixed with the usual anti-moderator whining from people who do nothing to help solve the boards issues and everything to create dissension.

There was no ganging up, no unfair treatment, no running of the razor wire, nada.

This forum stuff is easy: introduce yourself, answer questions directly, provide and receive information, take a little razzing here and there and give some back. Learn and evolve, support and be supported.

Rinse and repeat.

I read the "blog" and the rest of the material. To steal someone elses private comment about it, its a mile wide and an inch deep. Infomercial quality stuff designed to get tv and speaking appearances and book requests. Certainly EVERYONE is interesting and has a certain perspective. Not sure we're seriously deficient without this one.

As far as this oft muttered "herd mentality" goes, among the longest term board posters, we have a dozen people with the most ridiculously different investment profiles and approaches to ER that such a suggestion is enormously laughable. Are you telling me that between people like me, Nords, Rich, Martha, Haha, Unclemick, Brewer and the rest that anyone can REALLY see any core similarity in how we go about our business?!? Ridiculous!!!

And for the record, I own very little passive index investments. I just dont like fluff and bullshit.

Very true...

I don't post here much, but do read quite often. This exchange was especially interesting as I have an acquaintance that works as a financial advisor of sorts - but for lower-income folks with little understanding of the financial world (think basics like consolidating credit cards and/or obtaining HELOC to reduce high cost debt). That acquaintance loves the feeling of being a hero to their customer base - and over time came to think of themselves as a financial wizard and 'hero' of sorts. I pretty much can't talk to them anymore about financial matters as the conversation always degenerates into what financial genius they pulled off this week with so and so.

OP may or may not have been trolling, may or may not have been marketing, whatever. But I think she at a minimum fell to the 'hero' complex - and didn't like anyone questioning it...she did seem to have some geniune interest in engaging with the group, but it's too hard to put up with that attitude - a little more humility is definitely needed in this group.

And for the record, I'm all about passive investments - but then again, I'm still too gun shy to move from FI to RE, so what do I know?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:55 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Can we stop a minute and reflect that the original post was in "Hi, I am".....not fire and money....stock picking....live your life like me......just HI! I also didn't think her last post was final or childish. Not as funny as it could have been given the material she had to work with but all in all a "B" for effort. And yet you still persist in trying to call her a *********or maybe not. Maybe this is your attempt at a running gag? I think we're expecting too much from new posters and too little from long time posters. Just saying. When I log in it says welcome Honobob. Can't we say Welcome MMND and attack in the appropriate thread?
Well, we just disagree then. Some of us feel like she came on like a bull in a china shop, and you don't. That's OK. But it is not OK that you are accusing me of calling her names. I didn't do that.

I'm pretty sure the mods tried to close the 'welcome' thread, so that the discussion would move to it's own thread. The OP protested, and got her way.

Believe me, I'm all ears and legal pads and spreadsheets if someone can come to us and explain a method of investing that can be shown to beat the risk/reward of indexing. I don't think I'm alone either. But the people here have good reasons to be skeptical, even more so when it comes across like a sales pitch.

-ERD50
Old 01-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

I still haven't made up my mind whether the OP was a troll. If she wasn't, I believe she was someone who had done well financially but whose ego needed the uncritical adulation of others. However, her financial knowledge was not sufficient to engage in (i.e. win) an intellectual discussion, and her frustration led to a childish overreaction. Our playful banter in this thread has (overall) not been offensive.

MMND, if you are out there, feel free to come back, with thicker skin, and join in the fun! I, for one, am always interested in learning about new financial techniques, but you gotta show me the evidence and give as good as you get.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #188
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
As a relatively new participant on this board, I found this entire exchange with MMND to be quite bizzare. Does this kind of thing happen frequently here? I enjoy learning and interacting with the folks here. As I have posted before, I am one of those super risk adverse types with most of my savings in CDs and the TSP G fund. Even so, I have not experienced anyone putting down my position on investing. I think perhaps this is because I didn't suggest my ideas were better than anyone elses. In fact, I know many of you have done much better with your investments than I have. Because of this, I hope to learn enough to introduce a little more risk and return in my portfolio as I gain confidence, knowledge and experience.
Bizarre, yes....Frequently, no...but this one was extra-special like seeing a meteor! I stumbled on her blog a few days before post#1, so that prepared me for what might happen. I'm learning the difference between blog-style communication and forum-style. Don't worry, I think you're safe and you'll find plenty of resources here to expand your portfolio.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:27 PM   #189
Recycles dryer sheets

hmmm...is she gone? getting in on this late and I wanted to compare potty training notes, no kidding.

I think Ha's interpretation of her is spot on. This is actually a phenomenon I've noted recently, as I frequent alot of craft/ design/ artsy fartsy kind of blogs. Someone starts a blog (many are on typepad since it allows for very aesthetically pleasing appearance and options) about a topic for which they are passionate. Other blogs link to them, they acquire enough foot traffic, and soon publishers are offering them book contracts.
And Amazon sets them up with a business account collecting fees on books bought through their site.
I guess this would work for any field. It's just when someone is passionate about felting soft toys it comes across as charming, but when it's passion about a defined way to FI, it does sound proselytizing.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:29 PM   #190
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Believe me, I'm all ears and legal pads and spreadsheets if someone can come to us and explain a method of investing that can be shown to beat the risk/reward of indexing. I don't think I'm alone either. But the people here have good reasons to be skeptical, even more so when it comes across like a sales pitch.

-ERD50
For the record, I wasn't the one that brought up the topic of how I invest. In fact, there are umpteen other different falsifications here attributed to me; whereas they actually originated by various other board members. If you'd like to look at what I have posted, you can view my list of forum posts here:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...8&pp=25&page=2

If this is how some of you get off here, have your fun. But don't accuse me of things I haven't done. For the record:
  • I don't[moderator edit]
  • I haven't committed [moderator edit]
  • My husband doesn't crawl around in dirty sewer pipes
  • I am not [moderator edit]
  • I am not better than you
  • I am not less than you
  • I am not a troll
  • I am not selling
  • anything
  • I didn't ask to be on TV
  • I am not smarter than you
  • I am not dumber than you
  • I did not come here with ulterior motives
  • I don't think that my way - or your way - is the only way.
I thought I was joining a group of like-minded people who were sharing a similar lifestyle experience as me. I was wrong. I choose a happy life, resplendent with tolerance, mutual respect and kindness. Apparently I've come to the wrong place. So be it.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:40 PM   #191
gone traveling

Quote:
Well, we just disagree then. Some of us feel like she came on like a bull in a china shop, and you don't. That's OK. But it is not OK that you are accusing me of calling her names. I didn't do that.

-ERD50
Hey I'm fine with disagreeing , but you did seem to go out out your way as to point out that her husband avoided her because you perceived her to be a **********What? I put a name to it and got spanked. What was your POINT? Hell, I drug Twaddles dog into a diss (as a joke using HIS description of his fur baby) and felt the need to apologize, but I don't know his dogs name.

Bull in a China Shop. Bull in Hi, I am? Why do you feel threathen that you have to say ugly things to a new participant on this forum?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:42 PM   #192
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I can only lament that we cant change our own user names anymore...
Do you know the song about Little Bunny Foo Foo? My brother keeps singing this and he is a grand father.

Little Bunny Foo Foo

Written By: Unknown
Copyright Unknown
Little Bunny Foo Foo,
Hopping through the forest
Scooping up the field mice
And boppin' 'em on the head

Down came the good fairy and she said

"Little Bunny Foo Foo,
I don't want to see you
And boppin' 'em on the head.
I'll give you three chances,
And if you don't behave
I'll turn you into a goon!"

The next day:

Little Bunny Foo Foo,

"Little Bunny Foo Foo,
I don't want to see you
I'll give you two more chances,
And if you don't behave

The next day:

Little Bunny Foo Foo,

"Little Bunny Foo Foo,
I don't want to see you
I'll give you one more chance,
And if you don't behave

The next day:

Little Bunny Foo Foo,

"Little Bunny Foo Foo,
I don't want to see you
I gave you three chances
And you didn't behave
Now you're a goon! POOF!!"

The moral of the story is:
HARE TODAY, GOON TOMORROW
Old 01-29-2008, 10:54 PM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionaireMommyNextDoor View Post
For the record, ...

I thought I was joining a group of like-minded people who were sharing a similar lifestyle experience as me. I was wrong. I choose a happy life, resplendent with tolerance, mutual respect and kindness. Apparently I've come to the wrong place. So be it.
I actually am glad (though a bit surprised) that you are back. Perhaps we all can learn something.

For the record - since you quoted me, and then gave a long list, I just want it understood that was a composite list, you certainly aren't associating me with ALL those things are you?

It's late, I'm going to bed - maybe follow up tomorrow.

-ERD50
Old 01-29-2008, 10:55 PM   #194
Dryer sheet aficionado

Oh yeah, sorry to those who didn't appreciate the humor in my parody. A few of my friends read it and laughed their a$$es off. Definitely not a tantrum. Guess you had to be there...
Old 01-29-2008, 10:58 PM   #195
gone traveling

Quote:
Some of us feel

the mods tried to close the 'welcome' thread, ............. The OP protested, and got her way.

I don't think I'm alone either............. But the people here have good reasons

-ERD50
H*** H*****

AND...I'd like to boast, in a Twaddle like fashion, that I predicted 22 posts ago (see post 1788) )the so proclaimed MMND last post was prematurely predicted!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 11:12 PM   #196
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionaireMommyNextDoor View Post
...I thought I was joining a group of like-minded people who were sharing a similar lifestyle experience as me. I was wrong. I choose a happy life, resplendent with tolerance, mutual respect and kindness. Apparently I've come to the wrong place. So be it.
I have stayed out of this mud puddle and have watched from the sidelines. I have to say I am disappointed in several members of the forum for their conduct (and not just at MMND). I have never seen such negative attacks, mud throwing, and childish rants over such minor stuff. You people need to get a grip. You too Ms. MMND. This board is jam packed with folks from ALL walks of life. People here are retired or want to be and many many have done it the hard way...one dollar at a time. Some folks here have a ton of financial experience and tend to smash newbees who "appear" to be selling something.

Because there is a lot of personal wealth represented here the forum is ripe for spam attacks and we all hate SPAM. Some folks are over sensitized to it and tend to shoot first and ask questions later.

I would like to tell the OP that I am sorry for the initial reaction she received from the board. I don't feel it was deserved. For the OP, I believe you got off on the wrong foot by trying to push too hard. This is a very special place that has formed over years of effort by a core group of posters who bring with them a wealth of information, personal histories, real world experience and yes, unfortunately a jaded approach to newbees sometimes and a dreaded hate for SPAM. You, unfortunately fell into the quicksand and started thrashing around and we all know what happens when one does that.

I am but a minor poster and second-string moderator. I don't have the wealth some here possess nor do I have the training or desire to be a "financial guru". But, I have lived a very full and experienced life among all kinds of people and when I see educated, mature adults acting like spoiled children I have to put in my two cents.

I hope we can all play together in this sandbox without throwing sand at each other. Given time and even a tiny bit of an open mind we all might learn something from each other and might even find the experience pleasurable.

To MMND, please give us another chance but know that some folks here can't seem to forgive and forget. Continue to post by all means but please do so with the thought of being part of a conversation rather than preaching to the choir. Time will heal wounds if they don't fester. I believe there are plenty of good folks here who would enjoy your posts and you theirs but we need to lower our Alert level down a notch or two.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #197
Recycles dryer sheets

I, too had already read MMND's blog, finding it linked through some personal finance bloggers. I enjoyed her blog.

When I saw her introductory post here, I thought it read like a press release, personality promo, and thought that seemed kind of out of place here. I knew she wasn't selling anything and sincerely wanted to talk with like minded people, so I knew it wasn't spam. But if I hadn't recognized her blogger name on the post, I probably would have thought it sounded spammy, much like the annuity guys who show up here from time to time.

jazz-for-cash has it right, there is a big difference between the way you would write for a personality/instructive blog and the way you would write in a give and take forum such as ours.

I personally would like to see everyone call a truce, stop rubbing salt in the wound, forget it all happened and maybe MMND could reappear tomorrow or next week and we could get on with it. I'm sure there is a lot she can get out of this forum once she can stop having to defend herself, and I am also sure there are many young dreamer newbies who are wondering about how to get to ER who could benefit from her experiences as well.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:28 PM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post
I, too had already read MMND's blog, finding it linked through some personal finance bloggers. I enjoyed her blog.

When I saw her introductory post here, I thought it read like a press release, personality promo, and thought that seemed kind of out of place here. I knew she wasn't selling anything and sincerely wanted to talk with like minded people, so I knew it wasn't spam. But if I hadn't recognized her blogger name on the post, I probably would have thought it sounded spammy, much like the annuity guys who show up here from time to time.

jazz-for-cash has it right, there is a big difference between the way you would write for a personality/instructive blog and the way you would write in a give and take forum such as ours.

I personally would like to see everyone call a truce, stop rubbing salt in the wound, forget it all happened and maybe MMND could reappear tomorrow or next week and we could get on with it. I'm sure there is a lot she can get out of this forum once she can stop having to defend herself, and I am also sure there are many young dreamer newbies who are wondering about how to get to ER who could benefit from her experiences as well.
Igosy what a party pooper. You know people pay money to go to mud wrestling contest even if neither contestant is a female and one of the contestants is a pig. This contest has both.

Seriously great post, good advice. I'll stop ..
Old 01-29-2008, 11:30 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

MMND...

Hmmmm.... I did not read your first post as correctly as some did... you said you became a millionaire as a college drop out AND making minimum wage... [moderator edit]
I had asked 'how did you make your money' and IIRC you did dog grooming and your husband is doing plumbing... neither are minimum wage jobs...

And to be at $1.6 mill net worth (if it is true) just does not add up starting from nothing and investing on a minimum wage (how much can you put away per year on that salary)... and then what kind of return do you need to get that high Just does not make logical sense it can be done in 10 years...

You also talk about how well you have done, but when I asked what your return was over the last 3 months and YTD... not a peep.... I would think you are down over 15% and maybe even 20% if you are 100% invested AND in momentum funds...

The big problem with your investing style on 'picking the winning horse' is that you are still making a bet on the future of the horse... but with stocks they might go BACKWARDS... it is a great sales tactic to make it look like it will always be going forward...

I also said I would make a decision on you with your posts on other threads... but so far I have seen ZERO...

And then you pity me post is just stupid... so I will not be as 'nice' as other and say you do not have anything to say to me that I am interested in hearing.... I think you are lying and trying to sell something... and I hate sneaky saleswomen just like sneaky salesmen...
Old 01-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #200
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post

Folks, my intro "Hi, I am..." post here was a quick copy and paste job directly from a FAQ piece on my blog that I had posted the day I appeared on the boob tube. (My inbox was getting slammed with email inquiries from viewers - it was a landing page for them.) It was lazy of me, yes, but good grief...

I had no idea that anyone would really read what I wrote in my "Hi!" post, much less care. I figured I'd post the requisite intro, lurk awhile, get a feel for the group, eventually participate in a few discussions ... then WHAM. I was being attacked from every angle.

I live a full and busy life. I don't have the time to sit in front of my keyboard for hours on end responding and defending. I came here for enjoyment, not petty arguments about nothing.
Closed Thread