Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Millionaire Mommy Next Door
Old 01-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Millionaire Mommy Next Door

I went from working a minimum wage job as a college drop-out to financial freedom as a debt-free, self-made millionaire by age 40. I earned my wealth as a work-from-home entrepreneur and mutual funds investor. In my early 30's, I taught myself about personal finance and created a lifetime financial plan that would allow my husband and I to be free of our money worries by age 40.

I live with my husband and two-year-old daughter. Financially free, we haven't set an alarm clock in years. Whether it be work, parenting or play, we wake with the sun, eager to spend each new day doing whatever we choose. Freedom is wonderful!

I am a woman on a mission-- I'm passionate about empowering others through financial education so they can experience the same lifestyle my family enjoys. I share my experience and knowledge regarding personal finance - and the joys of financial freedom - in a simple, supportive and personal way on my blog. I am also in the process of writing a book.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Looks like another spamming troll...
Old 01-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nah, we've discussed her before. I think it's great that somebody can make money by pumping ER. She's not the first to write a book about it.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I removed the links from her post. Mommy, feel free to discuss retirement issues on the forum, but people here are very sensitive to perceived spam. If others want to see your blog, they can ask for the link and then you can post it.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 01-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome Millionaire Mommy.

You have plenty of peers on this board. It seems most did it working 9-5 jobs.

Although the board does have a fairly large number of well educated people posting.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yikes! I'm definitely not a spammer!!! I'm horrified that my intro sounded spammy. I was just introducing myself in relation to the topic of early retirement. I promise, I have NOTHING to sell anyone. Yes, I spend some of my free time writing - not for money, but because I love it - and I pledge my profits to a non-charity organization. Like most of you here, I'm just over the moon happy about early retirement and want to shout it out from the rooftops. Again, sorry if my enthusiasm sounded spammy.

I look forward to sharing conversations with like-minded people here.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Well, welcome to the forum! It sounds like you will fit in fine. So are you still running a business as an entrepreneur or are you fully retired now?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 01-27-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionaireMommyNextDoor View Post
Like most of you here, I'm just over the moon happy about early retirement and want to shout it out from the rooftops. Again, sorry if my enthusiasm sounded spammy.
That's nice to hear. There are plenty of highly successful savers, investors, and retirees here for you to get to know. Many are pretty reserved about their finances, but most are happy to share their experiences.

As to being over the moon shouting it from the rooftops, you may be in a minority there .

Enjoy the board.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Well, welcome to the forum! It sounds like you will fit in fine. So are you still running a business as an entrepreneur or are you fully retired now?
I am fully retired now. I spend most of my time raising our young daughter, writing, traveling and playing. My husband is reluctant to completely retire (he's afraid he'd be bored) so he still hangs on to our small plumbing business, working 2 or 3 days a week (when he feels like it).

I think as time goes on, my husband's recreational activities will blossom and he'll find less reason to work . I'm so happy for our daughter, though, because she gets to spend lots of time with her daddy. I was raised by a workaholic father. I'm glad her father-daughter relationship is so different than mine was!
Old 01-27-2008, 11:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Yikes! I'm definitely not a spammer!!!

Sorry if I jumped to an incorrect conclusion, but this board gets a lot of spammers hawking their books, financial advice, or get-rich-quick schemes.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Just curious, what charity do you support?
Old 01-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Many are pretty reserved about their finances, but most are happy to share their experiences.

As to being over the moon shouting it from the rooftops, you may be in a minority there .
I guess I'm just so surprised at how easy early retirement was to reach. Never in a million years, as a young adult (twenties) would I have believed that I'd be where I am now financially. My family really struggled to make ends meet and I didn't know to expect anything different. But fortunately, I read some great books when I was about 30 that changed my entire mindset. That's why I'm so enthusiastic about sharing what I've learned with anyone who cares to listen.

I used to be a closet millionaire - not even my closest friend knew. Why? Because while some people think it's cool, others don't. Some people are funny with those with some money. But I was getting frustrated watching them make easily-correctable mistakes and poor financial choices. So now I do plenty of "shouting from the rooftops", but I try not to be stupid. I use a pen name to protect my true identity.

I do worry about what people will assume about me if/when they learn of my early retirement. It's always awkward when someone asks, "So what do YOU do?"...

Other: What do you do for a living?
Me: I'm retired.
Other: Oh. You are too young to be retired. (scratches head and wanders off)

or

Me: I'm a stay-at-home-mom.
Other: Oh. (patronizing smile, thinking "how boring". Wonder what her hubby does.)

or

Me: I'm a writer.
Other: Wow, what do you write?
Me: A blog and I'm writing a book.
Other: Cool. What about?
Me: Personal finance, success and happiness (as I try to feel out the other person quickly. Do I feel okay sharing that I'm a self-made millionaire who wants to share her story? Pretty odd thing to tell someone you've just met...)
Other: Interesting. I'd like to read your blog. What is it called?
Me: "Blah Blah". (I'm leaving the name out on this forum so as not to "spam".) (Said while trying not to feel uncomfortable about disclosing my online identity and personal wealth)
Other: (usually speechless for a moment or two first) Oh! Uh... (Then the conversation goes one of two ways - One: they seem uncomfortable and we change the subject, or Two: profound interest, curiosity and tons of questions, and at that point, I realize that if I'm not careful, I could be stuck talking to just this one person at the party all night...)

I'm finding that I need to temper my enthusiasm a bit, depending on the audience. That's why I joined this forum - because hopefully many of you can relate to some of my experiences. I'm an early-retirement newbie and still learning my way. I don't have any personal relationships with anyone else in my financial boat.

So "Rich in Tampa", do your friends and family know of your financial status? How do you feel about that?
Old 01-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Just curious, what charity do you support?
Orphanage projects (we adopted our daughter from China) and Kiva - am I allowed to write about what they do on this forum?
Old 01-27-2008, 02:20 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Sure Kiva is a cool organization. Sorry for the rather hostile initial reception, but in 6 months you'll understand. The number of millionaires on the board is at least ten times the national average, so we live in fear that marketeers will discover this fact and bombard the forum with spam. Of course what they don't know is that the reasons there is such a high accumulation of wealthy is we don't spend much

Just curious about your adopted chilld. I was in China a few months ago, and one of the guides was telling us that with the one child policy that foreign adoption were becoming rare. We also went to an elite private elementary school the kids were so cute I wanted to adopt a couple! When and how did you go about adopting.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:37 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So "Rich in Tampa", do your friends and family know of your financial status? How do you feel about that?
I'm in a situation where my finances would not be surprising to those who know me - I've been in a traditionally high paying profession for 33 years, now age 58. So, yes, my family and friends probably assume I have reached a level of financial independence.

Very different is the situation you describe, though I don't know your specifics. I gather a stay-at-home mom, hubby still working by choice and not for needed income. I am not surprised at your personal elation about feeling financially independent and am very happy for your success.

But I admit I'm a bit bemused by your strong drive to proselytize and reach out about it to the world with blogs, books, etc. (shout if from the rooftop, as you describe it). Do you have any concern that it might be perceived as boastful or immodest (even it that is not your intent)? Re: your blog, do you truly feel that you have stumbled on a sure-fire method for anyone who adheres to get rich?

I really don't mean to sound challenging or unwelcoming - just a little confused. No matter, lots of fun and good tidbits floating around here. Enjoy.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:29 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I took a look at your blog, which is excellent. You are so well informed about personal finance that I wonder whether you are in fact a financial professonal.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:33 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm... so how did you make your money? You make it sound so 'easy'... but in reality MAKING a million is not... why do you think there are so few people who get there...

And yes, you did sound a bit spammy at first...

Glad to hear that you are having a great time with your financial freedom... it is a good feeling...
Old 01-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Me: I'm retired.
Other: Oh. You are too young to be retired. (scratches head and wanders off)

Try listing 'investor' as your profession. It's a more or less accurate description for any ER'd folks.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:15 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Just curious about your adopted chilld. I was in China a few months ago, and one of the guides was telling us that with the one child policy that foreign adoption were becoming rare. We also went to an elite private elementary school the kids were so cute I wanted to adopt a couple! When and how did you go about adopting.
The China adoption program has slowed down to a snail's pace lately and no one really knows why. We have friends that are on their third year waiting for a child match. I'd like to believe that it's because less girls are being abandoned now, or that China's domestic adoption program is flourishing.

My husband and I waited for only 8 months to be matched with our daughter. We traveled to China for 3 weeks and brought her home when she was 9 months old. She'll be 3 yrs old in May. We used CCAI (Chinese Children Adoption International) in Denver for our adoption process. They're wonderful. Let me know if you want any more details or a referral.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I'm in a situation where my finances would not be surprising to those who know me - I've been in a traditionally high paying profession for 33 years, now age 58. So, yes, my family and friends probably assume I have reached a level of financial independence.

Very different is the situation you describe, though I don't know your specifics. I gather a stay-at-home mom, hubby still working by choice and not for needed income. I am not surprised at your personal elation about feeling financially independent and am very happy for your success.

But I admit I'm a bit bemused by your strong drive to proselytize and reach out about it to the world with blogs, books, etc. (shout if from the rooftop, as you describe it). Do you have any concern that it might be perceived as boastful or immodest (even it that is not your intent)? Re: your blog, do you truly feel that you have stumbled on a sure-fire method for anyone who adheres to get rich?

I really don't mean to sound challenging or unwelcoming - just a little confused. No matter, lots of fun and good tidbits floating around here. Enjoy.
Yes, it sounds like you and I come from two entirely different places. I would guess that some of your friends/family also enjoy financial freedom gained via a traditionally high-earning profession. On the other hand, my husband and I were not "expected" to make much or accumulate wealth. I was a dog-trainer and hubby is a plumber.

That's my whole point. I'm excited to share what I've learned about money with people who are wearing the same shoes we did. I'm NOT proselytizing nor boasting - my intent is to empower others by sharing. Break the taboo that says talking about money is impolite. I don't know about you, but my parents never understood money. They were intelligent, well-educated and hard-working, but lived paycheck to paycheck because they never had a financial education. Their lives could have been so different if someone had been willing to talk about money with them.

Where did you learn about money?

You asked me, "do you truly feel that you have stumbled on a sure-fire method for anyone who adheres to get rich?".

Heavens no. I share my story - what worked for me. I didn't do anything extraordinary. Everything I did was ordinary. I learned about money and applied commonly discussed financial principles. And it worked. No get-rich schemes or special-sauce secrets. Nothing to sell. No magic formula. Just learn how to save money, spend money, and invest money in effective ways that are in alignment with your own personal values.

Are you so passionate about a topic that you could talk someone's ear off about it - and enjoy it? I'm that way about my child, horses, travel, writing AND money. I suspect you're similar - that's why you participate on this forum.

Add to this my desire to give something back to my community and now you know why I share.
Closed Thread