Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-22-2017, 04:46 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGold View Post
What were some of the first things you did after retiring?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGold View Post
I submitted retirement papers this morning and I'm really, really happy! A weight does in fact seem to lift. My chest feels like it expands bigger when I breathe. Very cool!
Congratulations, BGold!!

I retired about 3 months before my dear boyfriend of the past 17 years, Frank. Some of the things I did that first week was learn to sleep in, go grocery shopping at 9 AM on a weekday when nobody was there, go to the gym for a couple of hours every day, take naps, and generally enjoy life while trying to be more active. It was great! In between all that I e-mailed Frank who was at work and tried to keep his spirits up.

Then when Frank retired, we had plenty to do because we could do things together. He started going to the gym with me and we started eating lunch out every day together. Between the two of us we had plenty of ideas of things to do that would be fun, such as pleasure drives, projects, trips to the library, and so on. We found more than enough to do, once we had the time for it.

Retirement is SUCH an exhilarating experience. That feeling in your chest is just the beginning of exciting, wonderful times to come.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2017, 05:11 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

W2R - whew! I'm ready!
BGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:26 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations, BGold. Does your Ivy'd Grove of Academe provide retiree benefits? Mine gave me health insurance at 50% (as opposed to 30% when I w*rked) - that's been great. I've also got free parking and admission to various university events and access to the health club, but the place is nearly 100 miles away, so I let those things lapse. I did keep my email address and library access - it gives me the .edu rate on the NY Times and the Wall Street Journal.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:37 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Nightcap - Once I turn 65, the health care coverage is extremely affordable, an email with a dot ret will be available, and I receive "travia" leave for all unused annual and sick leave.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2017 View Post
Do people include the house they are living in in the nest egg? I am not sure if I should.
no my nest egg is usually stated as 4 million in the market, paid off house valued at 1.2 million. I believe most people here use nest egg as the money they have, house is separate.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

12 days to retirement - 7 w@rk days! I've been practicing by taking my excess vacation days on Mondays and Tuesdays. My DW, who is already retired for over a year has graded me an "A" so far. I plan to ace this retirement thing. LOL!
Old 06-18-2017, 09:33 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Outstanding! Enjoy your time.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:06 AM   #48
Gone but not forgotten

Your happy countdown rings a bell.

Yesterday was Father's Day,and we celebrated with some of our family. Our eldest son who is a lawyer, is even closer to the final hour. As he left, his last comment was... "Only 65 more hours." Wednesday is his last day.

As his position as lead attorney in a risk management firm is fraught with high anxiety and constant pressure, it's going to take him a while to decompress. In the next week, he's moving from Naperville, to Sarasota, so a different world.

Will follow both of you over the coming year.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:26 AM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
In the next week, he's moving from Naperville to Sarasota, so a different world.
The low season in Sarasota is a good time to arrive and depressurize. The high season (January - April) is becoming so unpleasant (read: busy) that I might become a reverse snowbird someday. In my 10 years in Sarasota, I've only met one person who does this, but it might become more popular as overdevelopment continues. I hope your son enjoys his new home!
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Moment of Truth
Old 06-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Moment of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Your happy countdown rings a bell.

Yesterday was Father's Day,and we celebrated with some of our family. Our eldest son who is a lawyer, is even closer to the final hour. As he left, his last comment was... "Only 65 more hours." Wednesday is his last day.

As his position as lead attorney in a risk management firm is fraught with high anxiety and constant pressure, it's going to take him a while to decompress. In the next week, he's moving from Naperville, to Sarasota, so a different world.

Will follow both of you over the coming year.

Counting down the hours...now that's due diligence! LOL
Old 06-27-2017, 08:26 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Okay - 3 days till freedom. I've had time to thank everyone and say my "farewells for now." I got the sense of what my wake would sound like. LOL! I've been very fortunate to w@rk with so many caring individuals. I'm a very lucky guy...but it doesn't stop me from moving on!