mostly a lurker

rockyj

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi. I've posted a couple of times earlier without a proper introduction - sorry for the breach of protocol. I'm mostly a lurker and not really keen at putting out the details of my situation for various reasons. Basically, like at least some others here, I am still working but within sight of early retirement (sometime in next few years - in early fifties) via a combination of time in a public defined benefit pension system, upcoming locking in of medical benefits, lucky/sound savings/investment history, a more-or-less modest lifestyle (and spouse with tastes to match), and fortunate life circumstances that have enabled it all.

This forum's been great for filling in some holes in my financial knowledge, as well as for
the many inspirational, empathetic, amusing, etc., stories and observations of more personal nature related to the topic at hand. Keep up the good work and good humor. Now that I've introduced myself, I may chime in a bit more freely from time to time when I've got something useful to contribute.

Ciao for now and back to the lurk.

Welcome again, stw. You'll have to start your countdown clock soon.

I'm curious about what causes a lurker to decloak. What did it for you?

Welcome stw.
We don't know who you are or where you live so feel free to post your thoughts - I have.

Nords said:
I'm curious about what causes a lurker to decloak. What did it for you?

Mostly courtesy I guess. Seems there's a pretty familiar bunch of regulars the board so just barging in on conversations now and then wasn't feeling right.

dex said:
We don't know who you are or where you live so feel free to post your thoughts - I have.

I'll certainly be glad to offer what I can - that's part of the the point of de-cloaking.

My caution is that I'm still not firmly decided about timing of departure - a lot can happen in a couple years that could turn that around and I suspect, as some others here have pointed out, that once one reaches a comfortable level of FI, one's attitude about work may change for the better as well. I'm not sure that having thoughts of bailing become common knowledge close to home would be beneficial at this point - could easily take one off the short list for certain assignments, desirable longer term projects or other development opportunites.

I don't have lot of on-line experinece to base that caution on, but while lurking here I realized recently and quite by accident that another poster on the board also works in our organization - not in my department and its a large enough organization that I doubt there'd be a privacy issue either way. But with more frequent and perhaps less cautious posting it might not be too difficult for someone else (perhaps closer to home) whose interest were piqued to put it together through a "reverse twenty questions" type process from collective past posts. Sure the chance is remote, and perhaps I'm a bit paranoid, but given some things going on at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a whole bunch of us thinking along the same lines, researching the potential and tuning in here with regularity. (Hi gang! Last one out turn out the lights.). ;)

STW, you must work for Megacorp, I can relate.
Anyone who has spent time in the corporate environment has developed some paranoia/caution about self disclosure, especially on the internet.
This has certainly kept me from posting more.
You can always follow the old email safety rule...don't post anything you wouldn't want everyone to read. Too bad, I could be a lot more interesting!
That being said, I have set my departure date and I am counting down, I'll be FIREd and sprung by spring!

Tawney said:
STW, you must work for Megacorp, I can relate.
Anyone who has spent time in the corporate environment has developed some paranoia/caution about self disclosure, especially on the internet.
This has certainly kept me from posting more.
You can always follow the old email safety rule...don't post anything you wouldn't want everyone to read. Too bad, I could be a lot more interesting!
That being said, I have set my departure date and I am counting down, I'll be FIREd and sprung by spring!

Very good point about working for corporations. I'm amazed that anything gets done. People are afraid to use wrong words or give an opinion. I think it is the fine are of talking but not saying anything. They don't teach that in school.

Back
Top Bottom