Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Welcome Hermit. Lived in the Colorado mountains winter, summer and everything in between all my life and love it.

Cass
CMH in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Your adventure sounds great, Hermit. We live in the Denver south burbs as well. Would love to try something like you're doing but my DW would die without hair salon's, nail places, and the like. Good luck, and post your thoughts regularly, when you retire.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I've really enjoyed the banter from my Hello post. Glad to see folks interested in my adventure.
Yes, we like to hear from hermits. There are several self-proclaimed hermits here, but I am not sure that many live in remote areas. Well, the lack of internet would cause self-exclusion, for one thing.

And I am glad that there are people here who also like to banter. There's only so much we can rehash about AA, active vs. index investing, taxes, mortgage or no mortgage, etc..., basically about just money matters. ER has got to be about more than money, of which I think my need is quite elastic. I can have more, or less, and it would not make that much of a difference (of course I want more, but that is because I am greedy, not because it would buy me happiness).

Let's have some fun, while we still can. Life is too short, and I try not to get too worried or too upset. Once we no longer have our health, nothing matters that much anymore. There's nothing like going into a hospital or a nursing home and seeing people there to make me appreciate my condition now, whatever physical abilities I have left.

So, party on!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes, we like to hear from hermits. There are several self-proclaimed hermits here, but I am not sure that many live in remote areas. Well, the lack of internet would cause self-exclusion, for one thing.
No lack of internet in the Colorado mountains. WildBlue, now Exede, has a new satellite with pretty good speed. A few of the summer folks up in the Valley got together and bought a Hughesnet link a couple of summers ago which we have set up in the Ranch House. It works great for e-mail and Forums! Satellite is a little pricy, but a person has to have his toys!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hughesnet is what many RV'ers use when they are in the boondocks, and what I know about it comes from reading their blogs. On a recent trip up the twisty coastal Hwy 1 in Northern California, I recognized the same antennas mounted on rooftops.

The problem with satellite internet, as I understand it, is not just the one-time cost of the equipment, but rather the recurring cost. They meter the traffic and the usage cost is rather high from what I've read.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #26

Hi Hermit, I was just this close to being a hermit. Bought a home 1/2 mile from a mountain wilderness, last place on the grid. Thought I would just sit up here and watch the quail and critters go by. Didn't happen I was recruited to help build a new firehouse within the first 2 months. In a town of 200 with maybe 200 across the state line into New Mexico, I got sucked into a caring, loving community, where everyone knows your name. I have more good friends, but not so many neighbors, as any place I have ever lived in my life.

Happy trails, grasshopper
Old 10-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Hermit -

Good luck with your retirement cabin! I'll be following your stories - I've always wanted to be a hermit up in the mountains myself.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

NOT for me as I enjoy being with people! But keep us posted! Remember you always go home! Be safe.
sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:06 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Hi Hermit, I was just this close to being a hermit. Bought a home 1/2 mile from a mountain wilderness, last place on the grid. Thought I would just sit up here and watch the quail and critters go by. Didn't happen I was recruited to help build a new firehouse within the first 2 months. In a town of 200 with maybe 200 across the state line into New Mexico, I got sucked into a caring, loving community, where everyone knows your name. I have more good friends, but not so many neighbors, as any place I have ever lived in my life.

Happy trails, grasshopper
Your comments sound so familiar. "Hi, we're the So-and-sos, welcome to the Valley. Please join us for dinner." The warmth and friendliness is amazing. I've already been recruited to help build a building at the camp. Groups of volunteers come up to help and we all eat in the camp dining hall as a large family. Those quiet few months in the middle of Winter may be just enough quiet time to keep some sense of balance.

Hermit
Old 10-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #30

Last week it was 2 potlucks, today is Oktoberfest, we are just the eatingest people in the world. I think sitting down to a meal with friends and neighbors, is one of life's great pleasures. Next month we have 24 folks of all ages, signed up for a 2 day Search and Rescue class provide by our county. Gee this is 5% of the year round population. Almost 1/2 are already volunteer EMT's or FireFighters, most of the others are bird and nature guides from the area, which is what we are famous for. I love this close knit community, that helps each other, and lends a hand when needed.

Portal, Arizona - Rodeo, New Mexico

Quote:
Your comments sound so familiar. "Hi, we're the So-and-sos, welcome to the Valley. Please join us for dinner." The warmth and friendliness is amazing. I've already been recruited to help build a building at the camp. Groups of volunteers come up to help and we all eat in the camp dining hall as a large family. Those quiet few months in the middle of Winter may be just enough quiet time to keep some sense of balance.

Hermit
Old 10-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #31

Our cabin is by Canon City up a dozen miles or so past the Royal Gorge. Not that far from Westcliffe. Great area. It does get cold--12 inches of snow when we drove up Christmas Break and well below zero. Quite a change from Houston.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #32

My grandma used to take me on trips to Canon City to see a friend. The royal gorge is impressive.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
Our cabin is by Canon City up a dozen miles or so past the Royal Gorge. Not that far from Westcliffe. Great area. It does get cold--12 inches of snow when we drove up Christmas Break and well below zero. Quite a change from Houston.
Some friends just bought some land between Texas Creek and Westcliffe this spring. That's some pretty country. Beautiful view of the Sangre de Cristo mountain range.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Some friends just bought some land between Texas Creek and Westcliffe this spring. That's some pretty country. Beautiful view of the Sangre de Cristo mountain range.

I fish over by Texas Creek often--the (Herndon?) Lease, the Lower Flood Plain, Spiked Buck, and a couple other areas right on Highway 50. Our cabin is sheltered by a little rise in front, but if you hike up the back a few minutes, there is a great view of the Sangres.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote