Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Moving to the Colorado Mountains next year.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Moving to the Colorado Mountains next year.

Hi, I’m Hermit. I’m retiring at 63 and I’m planning to build a cabin to live in year-round located in a high mountain valley in the middle of a national forest. I have a daughter that just graduated from college and a son still in college. My wife of 30 years died three years ago which is why, at least according to my earlier plans, I am retiring early. It will be just me at the cabin. I’m deeply involved in a Christian kid’s camp in the Valley and have committed to a large gift to the camp and also plan to help out (certainly not “w*rk”) at the camp while I am able. This will involve a move from southeast Virginia and I will also need to buy a new Jeep to get in and out of the Valley. With retirement and all these other items coming together at the same time, I have questions for the Fire and Money forum on how best to manage my nest egg.
There are several summer cabins in the Valley, but in the winter, there will be the camp maintenance man and his family, one retired couple, and me scattered across the valley. It is truly a beautiful (but cold) place, so I’m looking forward to becoming a very Happy…

Hermit
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, that sounds like quite a change and a real adventure. Hope it all works out and turns out great for you.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

You are very brave and adventurous. Good luck!
Sun456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Our plans too but a little more populated Colorado Valley. Good luck
Old 10-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I call my get-away home a boonies home, but it is not really one. I can often hear the siren of patrol cars chasing speeders on the nearby highway.

Now, yours sounds more like a true boonies home. Please keep us posted on your new adventures.

PS. When visiting the Sequoia NF recently, we ran across a Christian camp at Hume Lake when exploring around. It is a lively place in the summer, but in the winter when it closes up, there might be just a few people there, but still, probably more than the half-dozen that you described at your valley.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Hi, I’m Hermit. I’m retiring at 63 and I’m planning to build a cabin to live in year-round located in a high mountain valley in the middle of a national forest. I have a daughter that just graduated from college and a son still in college. My wife of 30 years died three years ago which is why, at least according to my earlier plans, I am retiring early. It will be just me at the cabin. I’m deeply involved in a Christian kid’s camp in the Valley and have committed to a large gift to the camp and also plan to help out (certainly not “w*rk”) at the camp while I am able. This will involve a move from southeast Virginia and I will also need to buy a new Jeep to get in and out of the Valley. With retirement and all these other items coming together at the same time, I have questions for the Fire and Money forum on how best to manage my nest egg.
There are several summer cabins in the Valley, but in the winter, there will be the camp maintenance man and his family, one retired couple, and me scattered across the valley. It is truly a beautiful (but cold) place, so I’m looking forward to becoming a very Happy…

Hermit
Best wishes and much success on your plans. By any chance, is this camp near the town of Westcliffe?
goneboarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #7

The Front Range commuters stop probably about 8 miles from the camp. The only sounds at night are the coyotes, the wind rustling leaves, and an occasional airplane. The night stars are awesome. The camp doesn't really shut down, but it does slow down. My contribution will help create a family center to provide better accommodations for weekend retreats, etc. With no cell phone access, it provides an opportunity for solitude, reflection, and renewal and an opportunity for a family to enjoy each others company without the normal distractions.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #8

Its about 50 miles north of Westcliffe. Lots of camps like it throughout the mountains.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Hermit
Good luck and enjoy. We love Colorado and hope to spend some more vacations out there.
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Its about 50 miles north of Westcliffe. Lots of camps like it throughout the mountains.
A lovely area. We camped in Eleven Mile State Park and Kenosha Pass this summer and I can definitely understand the attraction. We live in the southern burbs of Denver, since we have small kids and I am comuuting to dowtown.

Out of curiosity, have you spent a winter in the mountains? What is the plan as you get older and less physically capable? I would love to live up there, but it does not work for my family and I wonder how long I could keep doing it.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The Front Range commuters stop probably about 8 miles from the camp. The only sounds at night are the coyotes, the wind rustling leaves, and an occasional airplane. The night stars are awesome. The camp doesn't really shut down, but it does slow down. My contribution will help create a family center to provide better accommodations for weekend retreats, etc. With no cell phone access, it provides an opportunity for solitude, reflection, and renewal and an opportunity for a family to enjoy each others company without the normal distractions.
Hey, Hermit, welcome to the board.

Your plans remind me of my father's years in the vicinity of Grand Junction after my mother died.

A decade or so down the road, you may want to consider a plan for making your kids feel welcome at bringing their kids to visit you. Either that or your self-professed "Hermit" lifestyle may need to include frequent travel to visit your family.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #12

I have lived most of my life in Colorado. I too lived for many years in the southern burbs of Denver. We moved to the East cost about 10 years ago for education opportunities for our kids. I have not lived a winter in the mountains. It will be interesting. The temps are about 5 degrees colder than the front range and the snow in the central area just west of the front range is not that bad. The great thing about it is the low humidity. 30 degrees in a flannel shirt is quite comfortable. 30 degrees on the East cost and my teeth chatter! The worst thing about it is that it will take longer to get to the ski slopes than it did in Denver!

I'm hoping to stay up there for 10 years or so depending on health. Should have enough funds to move to a retirement community or assisted living place along the Front Range when the need arises. The place may be that of a Hermit, but the living style will probably be less so. I have lots of friends along the Front range and I plan to drive down to the local mountain community on Wednesdays and Sundays for church and shopping. Probably an occasional trip to Arizona or Texas with other retired friends. And, yes, I'm sure there will be trips to visit kids and grand kids should they arrive. In the warmer times of the year, the place is quite lively with several retired families and a camp full of kids.

The cabin will be small, but will have two bedrooms upstairs and hopefully room to add another in a walk-out basement. (Price increases over the last three years have been pretty steep so budget constraints are limiting the size.)
Old 10-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #13

Welcome to the forum, hermit. I have never been to Colorado but would love to.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

We are currently staying that area, making our way back to Texas for winter.

We've noticed hundreds of homes built "off the grid". Obviously no electric or water, hopefully a septic tank for waste. A small % are preparing for winter, it's obvious by the amount of firewood stored.

Those that stay the winter in primitive conditions are tougher than me. I like the modern conveniences that we have.

Good luck.
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #15

Its not that primitive. I have electricity to the lot and old fashioned phone lines are available. The well will go in next spring and then the septic system and foundation. The homeowner's association has a road grader they use to keep the roads in pretty good shape during the summer. I have a plow truck for when it does snow and the camp keeps the main road into the area plowed through the winter. Its an easy drive in and out, just slow because of washboard roads. My daughter is lobbying for me to put in a media room!
Old 10-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

That sounds awesome. Enjoy your time there!
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello Hermit. You say you will be north of Westcliffe. Are you close to the Amish community?

Milkman
Milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like it is not near the Rainbow Lutheran, which is only 15 miles north of Westcliffe. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Why are we trying to pinpoint our new friend? Judging from his screen name, he is not looking for visitors, I don't think. Don't scare him off.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Why are we trying to pinpoint our new friend? Judging from his screen name, he is not looking for visitors, I don't think. Don't scare him off.
I've really enjoyed the banter from my Hello post. Glad to see folks interested in my adventure. There's been enough interest, that I would like to continue with updates on the progress when things get underway next spring and summer. I'll probably start a new thread in Life After FIRE. I'll be jumping the gun a few months, because I don't think I will retire until July or so, but I guess that should be close enough!

Hermit