Join Early Retirement Today

My bucket is 9/10 full
Old 08-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

My bucket is 9/10 full

Hi, all,

Looooong time lurker...I still remember CFB and the bacon flowchart as it developed. Everyone feels like old friends, to the extent that anonymous strangers can feel so familiar.

Today, I had a very difficult and demoralizing conversation with my boss. Specifics are not important and I understand that bad days come with the territory. But today I finally felt unappreciated and essentially alone. As has been said on the forum...my s* bucket is very very very close to full.

I've been planning my retirement off and on for the past 10 years. Kept tacking on 5 more years, since I enjoyed the job. Until today. Now, 2017 can not get here soon enough.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why do you have to wait to 2017? I hated every day I was at work for at least the last 12 years. Left as soon to the day as I could and get medical and pension.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #3

I'm 45, spousal unit is 49. I need to work 5 more years for health insurance and move from a 4% to a 3% draw.

Also, the unit and I have been having the same argument about my desire for FIRE for the past few years. Short version, he gave up his dream job so I could have mine. He has not liked his jobs in at least 5 years but he will not retire (very much identifies with his job). My working until normal retirement is payback. Needless to say this adds to my current stress.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane2017 View Post
But today I finally felt unappreciated and essentially alone.
Sartre called this existentialism. Onward calls this the American corporate experience.

Quote:
He has not liked his jobs in at least 5 years but he will not retire (very much identifies with his job).
Is spousal unit cuckoo?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #5

Welcome Jane

I hit the s* wall 6 years out from 55 when I could ER with pension and medical insurance so I know how you feel. I was able to switch positions within Megacorp and my spousal unit semi-retired which made it easier to drag ourselves to the finish line.

All the very best of luck to you both.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #6

Yup. All the political stuff that I had managed to avoid the last five years have really bubbled up. Coupled with a weakened superior/previous champion, it finally exceeded by threshold of bearable.

Unit may not be cuckoo but he is pigheaded about many things. He is redirectable, but I may not have enough time to get him to change his views on this. We have been talking about FIRE for a long time.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #7

I feel for you. I also have about 3 more years to work in a job I used to love, but not so much anymore. About 5 years ago, several things happened to make it pretty miserable. I have worked here 29 years, and I don't like change, so I'll drag myself here for a few more years. It would be worse to change jobs and lose my 7 weeks vacation each year. Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:27 AM   #8

Welcome. My Dw went through a similar experience last year. We reversed our plans and she retired. I kept my job which currently is not stressfull. Still planning on a 2014 or 2015 retirement.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am in a similar boat. We are working to pay off a loan before retiring. DH loves his new job and will work several years after I am done. But I have never liked my job because of the politics and egos. I am quietly excited about an impending layoff and hope it comes sooner rather than later. Later would be better, though, as we will alter our plan if it happens before our loan is done. I have tried to be more positive about the days at work but I still am very happy when 5 pm comes around and just plain giddy about weekends. Any new month brings with it another mortgage payment that takes us closer to our goal and I happily log the extra principle in my amortization schedule. We buy a CD every 3 months and I am like a kid on Christmas day on CD buying day because it is another step towards independence. I know I should be looking for another job but health care is free for me and DH and I now have 4 weeks vacation.

Cass
Old 08-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #10

Welcome to the forum, Jane.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Why do you have to wait to 2017? I hated every day I was at work for at least the last 12 years. Left as soon to the day as I could and get medical and pension.
Keep in mind that many of us don't get medical and a pension if we retire on some "magical date". It makes pulling the trigger a LOT scarier and a LOT less secure. (On the flip side, it doesn't keep "golden handcuffs" on us if we've reached the point where we're taking more BS than we can stand.)
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Today, I had a very difficult and demoralizing conversation with my boss. Specifics are not important and I understand that bad days come with the territory. But today I finally felt unappreciated and essentially alone. As has been said on the forum...my s* bucket is very very very close to full.

I've been planning my retirement off and on for the past 10 years. Kept tacking on 5 more years, since I enjoyed the job. Until today. Now, 2017 can not get here soon enough.
First off, welcome. A couple of thoughts come to mind...

Hard to imagine how one conversation with your boss could kill off "I enjoyed the job" - but I know it can certainly seem that way, or indeed be that way. Is it a boss or mgmt regime you don't get along with? If so, you might be able to outlast him/her/them. I had a terrible boss for 3 years mid-career and thought about leaving, but I waited him out and had a great career after that. He was eventually fired and personally ruined (not that I hoped for the latter). Even though he made us all miserable, I am very thankful I didn't leave, I had a series of decent bosses after the horrible one.

Is another position or change in responsibility at current Corp a better option? Might give you some peace to work toward a better situation.

I don't presume to know your specific situation, just some thoughts. Give it some time though, and keep your options open, hopefully the situation can improve. Best of luck...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
First off, welcome. A couple of thoughts come to mind...

<snip>. I had a terrible boss for 3 years mid-career and thought about leaving, but I waited him out and had a great career after that. He was eventually fired and personally ruined (not that I hoped for the latter). Even though he made us all miserable, I am very thankful I didn't leave, I had a series of decent bosses after the horrible one.
Ditto. My mantra is "bosses change". If its the boss that's bugging you, it will change. If its the management regime, it will change. I feel GOOD when I outlast the bad boss / ridiculous mgmt scheme's.

Hang tough and do whats best for YOU in the long run. Don't make short term decisions that you might regret long term.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #14

Welcome, Jane.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote