My employer gave me my 60 day notice yesterday

Good for you. Takee advantage of any programs that you are entitled to.

Why not take a few months off? Relax, take it easy. Think about you want to do next.

Consulting or term work is less stressful since you are not married to the organization. Or...try your hand at something different.

This is a great opportunity. Time to make lemons out of lemonade.

Congrats!

While it may be a bit stressful in the short run, plan on collecting unemployment after the severance ends. Do not neglect to take the UE benefits, unless you are prohibited from taking them by some employer agreement along with the 'package'.

Once you start a pension, you cannot likely get UE.

For the UE reason, you may want to get a lump sum severance, unless other benefits stop and go with the severance payments.

In NY and NJ you can collect severance and Unemployment at the same time. Check your state laws.

The pension is worth about $1 million as you're getting $3,100 per month. No worries - you're fine.

OP here. A few months back I went into immediateannuities.com and put in my pension income stream and came up with $635K to get the same cash flow.

More like $700K for a non-COLA immediate annuity of $3100/mo beginning at age 56, but I do agree with the conclusion.

OP here. A few months back I went into immediateannuities.com and put in my pension income stream and came up with $635K to get the same cash flow.

Retiree medical for $70 a month until Medicare?

Don't worry. Be happy.

OP here: You know I just double checked. Retiree medical is $37 a month for our "Traditional" Plan ($300 deduct, $30 co-pays). If I stay on the plan I have ($0 a month but $1300 deductible) I'm responsible for the $1300 deduct. Currently the company seeds that with $1025 contribution which will go away as a retiree.

Need to weigh the two plans and so my best to max out my HSA for the next two months.

In my jurisdiction my unemployment insurance did not commence after my 20 month lump sum severance period ended.

Then I received 37 weeks of unemployment insurance (taxable). I consider myself to be very fortunate. This was the first (and last) time I have collected in 43 years of paying in to the program.

I would not have know about this. The lawyer handling my employment termination advised me to register for employment insurance at the start of the process notwithstanding whether or not I planned to re-enter the workforce.

Last edited:
In my jurisdiction my unemployment insurance did not commence after my 20 month lump sum severance period ended.

Then I received 37 weeks of unemployment insurance (taxable). I consider myself to be very fortunate. This was the first (and last) time I have collected in 43 years of paying in to the program.

I would not have know about this. The lawyer handling my employment termination advised me to register for employment insurance at the start of the process notwithstanding whether or not I planned to re-enter the workforce.

OP here. Thanks for the input. A bit confused on the above you say "insurance did not commence after my 20 month lump sum severance period ended." Did you take the lump sum or 20 month income continuation? If I take the lump sum I can apply for UE right away and if I take 26 week income continuation I can not (WA state UE policy). Thanks.

Retiree medical for $70 a month until Medicare?

Don't worry. Be happy.

OP here, found out this week that my medical is actually $46 a month vs. $70. I realize it's a nit but a bit less than I expected. Cheers.

OP here: You know I just double checked. Retiree medical is $37 a month for our "Traditional" Plan ($300 deduct, $30 co-pays). If I stay on the plan I have ($0 a month but $1300 deductible) I'm responsible for the $1300 deduct. Currently the company seeds that with $1025 contribution which will go away as a retiree.

Need to weigh the two plans and so my best to max out my HSA for the next two months.

Sorry for the late reply Supernova, but in a very similar circumstance to your own I found it worthwhile to remain in the HDHP for the year in which I'd be receiving severance (to retain the tax deduction of the HSA). In subsequent years when AGI and tax bracket will be much less I will switch to the Traditional Plan to lower the deductible.

In any case, since you will remain on active employee medical until the end of the month following your layoff and then get 3 months of free Cobra courtesy of the big B, it will be almost the end of the year until you need to commence retiree medical - so the rate you'll pay for the HDHP this year is almost moot.

Sorry for the late reply Supernova, but in a very similar circumstance to your own I found it worthwhile to remain in the HDHP for the year in which I'd be receiving severance (to retain the tax deduction of the HSA). In subsequent years when AGI and tax bracket will be much less I will switch to the Traditional Plan to lower the deductible.

In any case, since you will remain on active employee medical until the end of the month following your layoff and then get 3 months of free Cobra courtesy of the big B, it will be almost the end of the year until you need to commence retiree medical - so the rate you'll pay for the HDHP this year is almost moot.

Thanks Stepford. I still have a bit of time to decide on which plan to chose and appreciate the feedback. The cobra part is confusing to me on why I would go that route if I "get" retiree medical starting September 1st 2016? I have an appt setup to go over options in early August. I like the HDHP I have now yes but was not sure I could "switch" in 2017. I need to check up on that. It appears the Traditional plan makes more sense after this year ends. It's my understanding that the HSA can be used on either plan for medical related costs.

Somewhat anticipated but still internalizing what my next steps are. I work in an aerospace industry in an IT organization. Megacorp (160,000 employees).

IT is being reduced and after 30 yrs I got my notice yesterday. Planned on working two years. I get a 6 month severance pkg.

It feels weird since I've never been "laid off" before.

About me.

55 yrs old
single
750K in 401K
pension (non cola) at $3100 a month (can draw after my layout benefit ends in 6 months). I can also take a lump sum on the six months pay.
expenses are 60K a year
After final check July 22nd will owe 125K on home (valued at 535K). No other debt.

Feels weird but to be honest was pretty burned out. We've had 3+ yrs of reductions. My background is IT Finance and IT Service Delivery mgmt. I achieved a "level 5" status which is high in my field. I might pursue contract work. Seattle WA is a pretty hot market right now (where I live).

Two undergrad degrees and one masters (TMBA)

I get retiree medical at a reasonable rate ($70 a month).

Cheers.

OP here. I had a couple of errors in my original post so I fixed/updated those (in bold or strikethrough)

Somewhat anticipated but still internalizing what my next steps are. I work in an aerospace industry in an IT organization. Megacorp (160,000 employees).

IT is being reduced and after 30 yrs I got my notice yesterday. Planned on working two years. I get a 6 month severance pkg.

About me.

55 yrs old
single
[-]750K [/-]in 401K (now 770K)
pension (non cola) at $3100 a month (can draw after my layout benefit ends in 6 months). I can also take a lump sum on the six months pay.
expenses are 60K a year
After final check July 22nd will owe [-]125[/-]K 122K on home (valued at [-]535K[/-]) 539K. No other debt after I pay off car with sick leave and vacation payout.

Feels weird but to be honest was pretty [-]burned[/-] stressed out. We've had 3+ yrs of reductions. My background is IT Finance and IT Service Delivery mgmt. I achieved a "level 5" status which is pretty high in my field. I might pursue contract work. Seattle WA is a pretty hot market right now (where I live). Strongly considering going back to work after a month or so of de-compression.

I get retiree medical at a reasonable rate ([-]$70[/-] $46 a month) OR stay on my current high deductible plan at $1300 with no co-pays or monthly premium. Still figuring that part out.

Cheers.

Congrats! Yes some short term stress but it will pass. You will probably go thru some various phases and emotions however on the other side you will set back and be like what was I worried about.

JDARNELL

Supernova, check whether you can get UI. it's my understanding after UI called me that you can get it if it's just a return of your $$s (401k or 457). I was told in 2013 that even I could get it as I contributed that paid up deficit b4 initially leaving gov't work in 2004

Last edited:
Congrats! Yes some short term stress but it will pass. You will probably go thru some various phases and emotions however on the other side you will set back and be like what was I worried about.

JDARNELL

Thanks! Hoping my BP goes down a few ticks and maybe get off those meds :)

Supernova, check whether you can get UI. it's my understanding after UI called me that you can get it if it's just a return of your $$s (401k or 457). I was told in 2013 that even I could get it as I contributed that paid up deficit b4 initially leaving gov't work in 2004
Apparently the new online certification UI process has changed. I listed my pension & the fact that I contributed to it. I do want to add that it asked if I worked for that employer in 2015 (I didn't so eligible)

In any case, since you will remain on active employee medical until the end of the month following your layoff and then get 3 months of free Cobra courtesy of the big B, it will be almost the end of the year until you need to commence retiree medical - so the rate you'll pay for the HDHP this year is almost moot.[/QUOTE

Thanks Stepford. I did verify that I can do the 3 months cobra and then stay on the HDHP and change from yr to yr during the open enrollment period. That was good news. I plan to do what you did and remain on the HDHP this year.

I need to figure out if I can plow more $$ into the HSA without going broke with just 4 paychecks to go :confused:

About me.

55 yrs old
single
[-]750K[/-] 770K in 401K
pension (non cola) at $3100 a month (can draw after my layoff benefit ends in 6 months). I can also take a lump sum on the six months pay.
expenses are [-]60K[/-] 78K a year
After final check July 22nd will owe [-]125K[/-] 121K on home (valued at [-]535K[/-] 565K). No other debt.

Feels weird but to be honest was pretty burned out. We've had 3+ yrs of reductions. My background is IT Finance and IT Service Delivery mgmt. I achieved a "level 5" status which is high in my field. I might pursue contract work. Seattle WA is a pretty hot market right now (where I live).

I get retiree medical at a reasonable rate ($47 a month).

Cheers.

I've had some time to re-visit my numbers above from my OP. I had a major error in expenses. The "60K" was without my mortgage of 1530 a month or 18K a year. Oops. :facepalm:

There is a 10% cushion in there but I was still very understated expense wise. I had assumed a house payoff in one of my spreadsheets. Sorry for the inaccurate post.

I updated some of the other values as well. Looks like I might be looking into at least part time work if not FT contract work. Could be worse....

Back
Top Bottom