My husband is retiring next year

flapjacks

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi everyone, my husband is an engineer and I am a painter. He wants to retire next year. Artists never retire so I will continue on doing what I love until my last breath. We are looking for a state that has good healthcare and low taxes. We are minimilsts who only require a small house with a backyard to grow our own food. I also would like to open a small gallery. We were thinking of Florida but the humidity seems horrible and the healthcare system appears overtaxed because of all the oldsters. We are also looking overseas. France seems interesting as does Panama.

New Mexico? Maybe Idaho?

Hi flapjacks, welcome to the forum. Lets see, you want good healthcare, low taxes, a backyard, but not a lot of old people or humidity. Well, maybe. Canada perhaps? Not Panama - too humid.

What do you mean by good healthcare?

My husband had a valve replaced a few years ago due to rhumatic fever as a kid. I am wondering this will impact him getting healthcare. So we need a place that has good healthcare in case the valve has problems. Also I had 4 lesions, precancerous taken off my forehead a few days ago. I have a very strong family history of melanoma and so now need skin checks every 3 months. I stay out of the sun, wear absurd huge hats and have done everything possible to protect myself since my brother died of melanoma 15 years ago. I think years spent on the beach while growing up in Southern California did a tremendous amount of damage that I am paying for now.
A few years ago I was diagnosed with very low D levels, they were 7, and was put on prescription D to bring my levels back up...you cant win.

I would imagine that New Mexico would be a place to look. Requirements for healthcare would probably force you to be somewhere within range of Taos-Santa Fe-Albuquerque, but there are plenty of inexpensive places to live there, it is low humidity, and depending on where you go there is a very vibrant artist community. Worth a road trip at any rate.

Check out findyourspot.com

You can input the things you want in a place to live and it suggests locales that meet your specifications. Good luck.

I live in New Mexico (just east of Albuquerque in a pine forest) and can certify that it is a haven for creative artist types. The air is very dry most of the year, with just a bit of humidity in July-August when the monsoon rains arrive (but we love them!). We are self-employed, and our insurance at BCBS is half what we paid in CA for the same or a little better coverage (HSA, high deductible). The cost of living is lower all around. It's not a wealthy state, so there is a lot of pressure to keep costs down for housing, eating out, utilities etc. State taxes are 5% (less if you are at poverty level I think).

For good medical, stay close to the center of Albuquerque where all the big hospitals are (UNM, etc.). Most of the high-end galleries are in Santa Fe, but there are plenty of opportunities in ABQ as well and a decent gallery scene aimed at tourists in Old Town, Nob Hill, etc.

Taos is too far - 3.5 hr drive from ABQ. Santa Fe is more expensive all around, but I should think their health care is pretty extensive. And if your husband likes to hang with engineers, there's always Los Alamos(!).

You will def. need to stay out of the sun though, and at around 6000 ft it will take a few months to get used to the altitude if you are coming from sea level.

Back
Top Bottom