Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Dear Freebird5825 thanks for the link. It is really good. It works so well that my confidence is so high now that I have decided not to look for a job any more today. I feel better now that that is over. Seriously, I will go through the postings later. What a great board. Lots of options to consider.
YW.
so www.indeed.com does cover Canada?
I just read the j*b postings for the heck of it. i sometimes apply, but i don't chase after it. i'm window shopping so to speak.
i could use some more mad money, but i am easily meeting my bills.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Yes, Covers Canada
Old 11-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, Covers Canada

Yes, it covers Canada. Seems to scrap the other job boards and newspapers from the area.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:02 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to the board

Yes, health care in Canada is "free", they use the hurry up and wait strategy, it's very Darwinian, survival of the fittest, if you don't drop waiting in line
canadianteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I believe in universal healthcare so I won't bash the Canadian system. I am happy to have it and the US system has many faults and problems. However, I would say for a middle class person that can afford insurance in the US that the care and access is actually better than in Canada. My wife waited months to get an MRI. Family doctors are hard to find etc. 30% of asthma patients have been misdiagnosed according to a recent report I read. However, I know people that have had heart surgery or other serious situations taken care of and I am amazed that they never get a bill. It ain't free though. Taxes pay for it.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hank, I thought Canada didn't allow too much immigration---and wouldn't give health care to non-Canadian citizens. Can you explain?

I'm finding it too cold here in Georgia already, but hey, if I can save $1,000 in health insurance a month and all the out of pocket expenses, I can just stock up on sweaters and learn to say "eh?"
Old 11-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I'm more into the peaty single malts - Bowmore, Laphroaig, Arbeg. I also drink Macallans, Glenfiddich, etc. Pretty much anything good. Once I get rich buying low in the current financial opportunity I'm going to take a sipping tour if Islay. My other adventure planned for the British Isles is to walk the route of the great fight scene from The Quiet Man.

Welcome to the board, Hank. I'm also thinking of looking for w*rk, until the above-mentioned getting rich occurs.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:27 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

[quote=tangomonster;750600]Hank, I thought Canada didn't allow too much immigration---and wouldn't give health care to non-Canadian citizens. Can you explain?quote]

Canada's immigration policy is based on a point system. You get so many points for certain attributes such as your education level, language, skill set and other stuff. They also have different categories for family sponsorship, refugees, skilled workers, investors, entreprenuers. To make a long story short you can qualify easily but then you have to wait in line and it can take up to five years or longer. However, if you get married to a Canadian citizen anywhere in the world and then visit Canada you can not be thrown out as long as you file an application.If you leave while the app is pending they might not let you back in until you get approved. This isn't like applying for a drivers license. YOu need to supply back ground info, finger prints, FBI clearance and other stuff. But basically if you get married to a Canadian they figure you've paid a high enough price already so they will let you in. You don't get med coverage until you are granted full permanent residency.

Canada is a growing country that claims to need more workers for the oil fields, mines, asbestos industry (we're #1), uranium processing and other such stuff.

Moving to canada is a PITA in terms of taxes and some other things but generally if you like cold weather and a diverse culture then its a nice place.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:27 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

[quote=Hank;750789]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
Hank, I thought Canada didn't allow too much immigration---and wouldn't give health care to non-Canadian citizens. Can you explain?quote]

Canada's immigration policy is based on a point system. You get so many points for certain attributes such as your education level, language, skill set and other stuff. They also have different categories for family sponsorship, refugees, skilled workers, investors, entreprenuers. To make a long story short you can qualify easily but then you have to wait in line and it can take up to five years or longer. However, if you get married to a Canadian citizen anywhere in the world and then visit Canada you can not be thrown out as long as you file an application.If you leave while the app is pending they might not let you back in until you get approved. This isn't like applying for a drivers license. YOu need to supply back ground info, finger prints, FBI clearance and other stuff. But basically if you get married to a Canadian they figure you've paid a high enough price already so they will let you in. You don't get med coverage until you are granted full permanent residency.

Canada is a growing country that claims to need more workers for the oil fields, mines, asbestos industry (we're #1), uranium processing and other such stuff.

Moving to canada is a PITA in terms of taxes and some other things but generally if you like cold weather and a diverse culture then its a nice place.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:41 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm more into the peaty single malts - Bowmore, Laphroaig, Arbeg. I also drink Macallans, Glenfiddich, etc. Pretty much anything good. Once I get rich buying low in the current financial opportunity I'm going to take a sipping tour if Islay. My other adventure planned for the British Isles is to walk the route of the great fight scene from The Quiet Man.

Welcome to the board, Hank. I'm also thinking of looking for w*rk, until the above-mentioned getting rich occurs.
I am going to try the Laphroaig. I used to hate scotch when I was young but now I consider it an important part of my diversified beverage portfolio. In Canada they tax it like 100%. The so-called sin tax. How could it be a sin to have drink? On the other hand a much bigger domestic industry here is pot growing (number 1 GDP contributor for British Columbia) and it is not taxed at all. I say legalize the dope and tax it and lower my income tax. It really is Canada's only home grown industry relative to the States where they have a competitive advantage. I don't smoke but I favor legalization for adults.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:57 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
i am just south of you on the other side of Lake Ontario. so i already have the cold and snow. Brrrrrrr!
my very first visit to Canada was for Expo 67 in Montreal. i was 9 years old and never forgot it.
as an adult, i visit your beautiful country every chance i get. Canada has an international flair that is just wonderful. i've been to Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Niagara Falls Canada, Vancouver, and I crossed at Alexandria Bay to ? (sorry, don't recall the city). My favorite experience was going to the Parliament Building in Ottawa. Such gorgeous and stately architecture.
O Canada!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:00 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am going to try the Laphroaig. I used to hate scotch when I was young but now I consider it an important part of my diversified beverage portfolio. In Canada they tax it like 100%. The so-called sin tax. How could it be a sin to have drink? On the other hand a much bigger domestic industry here is pot growing (number 1 GDP contributor for British Columbia) and it is not taxed at all. I say legalize the dope and tax it and lower my income tax. It really is Canada's only home grown industry relative to the States where they have a competitive advantage. I don't smoke but I favor legalization for adults.
You're going to get us thrown into the soapbox, but I agree 100%. I'm thinking this crisis might be the best chance for legalization we'll see. The conservative estimates are for a $14B/year savings between getting $6.2B in taxes and saving $7.7B in policing and prosecution costs. And that doesn't even count the costs of keeping non-violent offenders in prison. But we'll see. Wouldn't want anybody to have too much fun.

As far as your sin tax, make friends with somebody in an embassy. Any embassy. Aussies are a good chice, they understand drinking better than most. Embassy folks can get booze tax free. Not that I've ever done this, of course. I'm a patriotic citizen who looooves paying taxes.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I apologize i didn't realize what the soap box was for. I will cool it. It was my intro thread so i think it was okay. Sorry again. Don't get me wrong. I pay my taxes and think everyone should. It's the price you pay for living in a civilized society.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:53 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I apologize i didn't realize what the soap box was for. I will cool it. It was my intro thread so i think it was okay. Sorry again. Don't get me wrong. I pay my taxes and think everyone should. It's the price you pay for living in a civilized society.
i'll forgive you if you send me really good chocolate. Deal?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:59 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
i'll forgive you if you send me really good chocolate. Deal?
Hmmm...sounds like a case of the munchies to me.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Hmmm...sounds like a case of the munchies to me.
ah, chocolate bought in Canada comes from all over the world, my friend. that's why i asked.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #36
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hank, welcome! I'm not a drinker, but a man who appreciates a good Scotch can't be all bad.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I appreciate the vote of confidence.