Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The big bond fund I own shares in is not my only taxable investment producing income. It produces about $22k with a yield of about 6.5%-7%. The other $8k comes from my other investments. About $120k is in muni bonds, a holdover from my working days. About $170k is in a stock mutual fund, one which produces dividends, too. The big bond fund's value has grown to about $370k since I bought into it one year ago when the prices were super-low, enabling me to buy about 30% more shares than I had originally anticipated. THAT is the big reason for my large cushion.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

scrabbler,

Your story sounds very similar to "intercst's". His was the first retire early web site I ever ran across, quite a few years ago. I retired at 58 so I am not in a league with you really young guys. (I think intercst was 38 when he retired.) He may have a bit more in assets than you do but your annual expenses and approach to life sound similar.

Here is his web site in case you haven't seen it yet: The Retire Early Home Page.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #23

Friar, I am familiar with that website and have posted there a few times in the last 15 months. It is not as active as this board, however.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:24 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Why? Are you no longer a loyal Tiger Woods fan?
Maybe I ought to change it to:

Old 12-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Good work Scrabbler. And I admire the childfree lifestyle. Thats whats going to get me there. (FIRE)
Old 12-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

Nice story!
Old 12-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #27

Welcome to the board. My DH and I go square dancing at a fire hall in PA 4-5 times per year. We are definitely amateurs, but have the best time. It is good exercise and some of the nicest people participate. Everyone is there for the fun and fellowship.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mill View Post
Good work Scrabbler. And I admire the childfree lifestyle. Thats whats going to get me there. (FIRE)
Thank you. Being childfree is not a very popular lifestyle choice, even in a FIRE forum (as I have learned). It is a very good way to get there, though.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Thank you. Being childfree is not a very popular lifestyle choice, even in a FIRE forum (as I have learned). It is a very good way to get there, though.
I think being child free is plenty popular around here, and certainly enhances one's ability to FIRE.

[MOD EDIT]
Old 12-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I don't care who has or doesn't have children, personally. Just want to put that out there for ya, Scrabbler and Mill.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I'm only one data point, but I've been here for over four years and a lot of people know I don't have children. Yet no one here has ever given me "grief" about my "lifestyle choice", nor as anyone here judged me for it or voiced their disapproval of my choices.

The possible reasons for the different reactions are left as an exercise to the reader.

Just a little food for thought. And with that said, this subject is in serious need of a "time out."
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #32

I also don't have kids, but I have no trouble getting along with those folks who have kids, but then again, I don't call them names.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote