Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by ponchoape View Post
Hope you enjoyed your time in Mexico! You're an inspiration traveling with three kids. I've enjoyed your posts. Nice work!
We're taking it veeeerrrryyyy slow with the kids. Today, for example, we did about what you did. Futzed around, read some books, I walked to the grocery store and the market. Played some video games. Basically the same stuff I do at home. Kids read some, watched netflix, played games on their tablet.

We're packing up tonight to head back to Mexico City for our flight to Cancun tomorrow so it'll be our longest travel day of the whole trip. Fortunately we have a few hours to burn in Mexico City so the kids can get out, stretch their legs, and eat ice cream and tacos.

It's a small world - thanks for your friendly and helpful advice three years ago! By the way, we're probably going to be heading towards Asheville, NC early next year sometime. I'll drop you a note when we're close and see if we cross paths.
Please do! We're in Raleigh a few hours east of Asheville in case you're doing a big road trip and headed down our way.

Having to park our truck in Costa Rica: yes, this was indeed a surprise that we only realized when we were doing research in Nicaragua before we entered Costa Rica. In the chaos of all the planning and preparation for our huge trip back in California, I guess I failed to recognize that Costa Rica only issues Temporary Vehicle Import Permits for a maximum of 90 days with no renewals allowed (and we're saying 6 months). The solution is to park the car in a government parking lot for a few months. Annoying, but we're easily surviving with our bicycles.
Okay, that makes sense. Sucks you can't use the vehicle except 90 days during a stay but at least you got it figured out for a relatively modest cost. At least you got to use the truck and bed set up for the camping along the way south.

Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (4, 10, and 11).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2015, 09:16 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
Congratulations to you both! I retired in April at 59 and am loving it. But my 30 year old self is envying you :-)

+1 (Though, for me, 59 was three years ago.) It sounds like your hard work, motivation, and careful planning are paying off! Please send updates to the forum, not only for the enjoyment of us older folk, but also to inspire your peers that FIRE IS possible.

Best wishes!

"Everything becomes more itself." --C.S. Lewis
LitGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:21 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado
Wow that is amazing congratulations!! I'm relatively new to the forum and am still finding my way around but this is a great success story. All the best for you and your wife in your new life!
Beachgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:02 PM   #24
Nice to hear from you and glad the trip is going well!

If you come through Charleston on your Carolinas leg, please give us a shout out. We have an old school bus that has been around the world and we plan to take it to South America in a few years, so I'd happily trade some Southern hospitality for some of your Central America road stories!

Congrats on reaching your goals!
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe
Hey everyone! Just wanted to provide another followup update on our travels (if anyone is interested). We're alive and well, and we successfully drove our 4Runner all the way up from Costa Rica, through Mexico and now we're back in the US. So far so good! Everyone we've met along the way has been extremely friendly and helpful, and we've had no problems with corrupt police officers or anything. Maybe we've just had good luck?

As we've been driving through the US, we're currently searching for where our next home should be. We think we might settle in Asheville, NC.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer!
ponchoape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets
Hi, I love your carefree lifestyle! As a wannabe hippy, I have the wanderlust but still have some anchors. Anyway, Asheville is really pretty and cute but it's quite expensive even on the rent front, whereby good cheap rentals are hard to come by. If I were you guys, I'd probably bop around the states a bit. Boulder, a great hippy town (lived there for three years) is awesome, beautiful but can also be pricey. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but keep that lifestyle going for a while and trek the states. So many amazing spots to hang at for a while without committing. Just my two cents. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

veganbetty is offline   Reply With Quote