Join Early Retirement Today

Need Some Help
Old 09-01-2006, 08:13 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Need Some Help

Hi been reading alot of the posts and now am ready to explain my situation. Wife and I have approximately $1 million set aside not including house that is paid off. Wife is teacher and I am an engineer. I am 49 and wife is 52 our money is tied up in 401's. Broken down into mostly 60% bonds and 40 % stocks* in mutual funds.

My wife will get two pensions total about 1600 a month at age 62 and I will get one about 200 a month.

SS should be about 1100 for wife at 62 and same with me.

We would like to retire around 55 both us.

What do you think
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Need Some Help
Old 09-01-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I think someone will say "run FireCalc" and compare to your actual budget :-)
Old 09-01-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer
What do you think
Golfer,

The firecalc link is at the bottom of the page. That online program is pretty much designed to help you with estimations such as yours. You did not give any expense information in your post and that is, of course, half the equation.

Play around with FIRECALC over the weekend. As a rough estimate, if your expenses are anywhere close to reasonable and your investments appropriate, sounds like you are well on your way.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Forum Golfer.

If part of your concerns is taking money from the 401k before you are 59 and a half, if you retire from the job where you have the 401k in the year you are 55, you can withdraw starting at age 55 with no penalty.

If that exception doesn't fit your situation, you can rollover the 401k into an IRA and do what are called 72t distributions. If that interests you, there is more info at http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:50 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

It sounds like you have done a good job at saving/staying out of debt. You need to figure out how much $ you need anually to comfortably live on and what you will do about health insurance.
If your job is stressful - you may be able to bail before 55.
Firecal can be very enlightening...

Overall you guys are in a good situation!
Old 09-03-2006, 08:03 PM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for the replies ran FireCalc and said we had between 90 to 100% chance of success.
Our monthly debt is about $2,500 only thing we did not look at is health care yet. We still have two kids that will be going to college but figure the best route is commnunity college which is about $4,000 per year.
Then loans for them with our help at the last two years
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote