New, but ohhh so young

MARKT

Confused about dryer sheets
Just turned 50...have another 20 years of work ahead.

Feel and look in great, great shape due to working construction a lot of my life.

Writer - filmmaker who is benefitting from the digital age.
With all the great, improving equipment and sending movies
directly to the public...the future's very bright and strong for me.

I don't have any property at this point or any dependents.
Outside of small consumer debt I have almost paid off...under $ 3,000.00

My big question is this...I work for the state of California for my
bread and butter job while I get my digital based production company being set up.

But, I'm going after a ROTH IRA and another
stock investment account portfolio.

Are there any introductory websites that'll give me great research info on stock market investing, including more ROTH IRAs and life insurance for investments?

Many thanks.

Welcome. Most here would recommend term life insurance for...life insurance. With very few exceptions insurance products are poor investments (except for the insurance company).

I would start here: Bogleheads :: Index

DD

I don't have any property at this point or any dependents.
Outside of small consumer debt I have almost paid off...under $ 3,000.00

Are there any introductory websites that'll give me great research info on stock market investing, including more ROTH IRAs and life insurance for investments?

Many thanks.
As you have no dependents, why do you want life insurance?

Ha

For investment purposes. Annuities, right?
Only maybe. Forbes magazine ran a series of articles about annuities earlier this year. The author also had a series of threads on bogleheads, for discussion of the articles. The first one is here, and the rest are easy to find with the search function. There are six in all and the whole series is well worth reading.

Welcome. Roth IRA contribution limit for 2010 is $6K, probably close to the same for 2011. So you have a chance to put $12K ($24K if spouse works) away tax free in the next month. I have 2 Roth's, one at my credit union (buy CDs) and one at a discount broker(buy stocks, bonds, mf). No cost or fees for either. Buy CD until you are educated about other investments. Max out every year.

Your stash will grow the fastest with good saving habits and very low risk investments.

Are there any introductory web sites that'll give me great research info on stock market investing, including more ROTH IRAs and life insurance for investments?

Many thanks.

I recommend reading William Bernstein's Four Pilliars of Investment. It will give you a sound history and theory for investments as well as the basics of portfolio construction. And you'll have it near for reference as you need. There are other books recommended in the FAQ section.

The bogleheads site mentioned above is excellent, but you'll get more out of it if you have some background information. Jack Bogle has written some great books on investing too.

I recommend reading William Bernstein's Four Pilliars of Investment. It will give you a sound history and theory for investments as well as the basics of portfolio construction. And you'll have it near for reference as you need. There are other books recommended in the FAQ section.

The bogleheads site mentioned above is excellent, but you'll get more out of it if you have some background information. Jack Bogle has written some great books on investing too.
+1 on The Four Pillars of Investing. I've read dozens of books on investing and it's the single best guide IMO, my portfolio is modeled almost completely on it's recommendations and has been for a long time.

Still the best investment reading list anywhere IMO Investment Books

Thanks jayc

Thanks JayC. You were solid and factual.

This is a great place to get factual answers from as a beginner,
and I'll combine this site with other places.

MARKT

Back
Top Bottom