Join Early Retirement Today

Re: New fellow
Old 06-02-2005, 07:26 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON* says:
Quote:
The wife also has a series of "bird with hat" pictures.* I made that hat (Don't forget: boys were taught to like naps and snacks and toys by their mothers--I blame everything on the women).* Someone other than the DH needs to ask Martha if they want to see those pictures.* That is one peculiar hobby, honey.
I'd love to see the "bird with hat" series.

Awww c'mon, post 'em, please.

omni

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2005, 06:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
My problem is that I think we're currently in a bull cycle of a secular bear market, kinda like 1930-31 of the Great Depression.* I'm gradually working toward (over the next six months) as much security as I can find.* If I'm wrong, I don't make as much money as an index fund* or well diversified portfolio would; if I'm right . . .um. . . .*

There has been a fair amount of discussion about interest rate inversion.* When gov't bond interest rates go down when they shouldn't, this tells me that someone thinks something negative is happening in the markets. US bonds are presently the safest thing out there.* It's a flight* toward safty, salt water safty

Greg
These predications are nothing new. There has been people predicting this the last 30 years. You do remember Ravi Batra and his Book predicting the Great depression of the 1980's? He was a Princeton Professor of Economics. - There were many folks on another retirement forum predicting this exact thing during the market slump of 2002-2003. - They missed the following rally. - Most of them were going to be buying stock when the Dow hit 5000.

At the same time there were others predicting the exact opposite. It's very difficult to believe, that I would have a chance moving my money around based on what I think might happen. Also, human nature believes negatives far easier than positives.

And if you believe that we are in the Great Depression 30-31, Don't be putting any money in Banks. They'll be a run on them and you'll get pennies on the dollar.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:23 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

Having been thru 73-74, 87, 2000-03, - maybe the next one will be more entertaining.

Balanced index/even slice and dice appropriate for your station in the accumulation/distribution cycle. Low cost, diversify, and soldier on.

A fish camp 12' above Gulf mean tide outside the levee in hurricane alley, no house or health insurance, a little side money for stocks, and not too far from football season.

Great thinking and pontification on the state of the economy/world with the fellow old pharts at the doughnut shop is good fun - as long as we don't take ourself too seriously.

De Gaul and the Norwegian widow ride on - saving Yogi for football season.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:26 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
These predications are nothing new. There has been people predicting...
Cool vocabulary contrast, Cut-Throat...

Main Entry: pred·i·ca·tion
Pronunciation: "pre-d&-'kA-sh&n
Function: noun
1 archaic a : an act of proclaiming or preaching b : SERMON
2 : an act or instance of predicating : as a : the expression of action, state, or quality by a grammatical predicate b : the logical affirmation of something about another; especially : assignment of something to a class

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:03 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Its national "talk like a redneck month" so his diction is alrighty. Dont bother looking up the redneck month thing, I just made it up. Which doesnt make it any less legitimate.

I saw on the national enquirer at the store yesterday that the next great depression is only days away, so batten yer hatches. Ok, apparently its also 'international talk like a pirate day preview' as well as the redneck thing. If a second tabloid runs the same story this week, then its probably gonna be true. They was right about britneys pregnancy after all.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:13 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Hopefully no bull sperm was involved.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:18 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:59 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Ar! Me boat is up on blocks in the starboard yard! Avast, I whistle dixie! ....phew, this is a hard crossover... :P
Old 06-04-2005, 07:10 AM   #29

When is "national bull sperm", month? I want to be outta country for that event.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:21 AM   #30

Check with the host TboneAl
Old 06-04-2005, 07:27 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Kinda gives "run with the bulls" a whole new meaning. *8)

In my view, there's not much we can do, even diversification, to avoid catastrophic events like world-wide depression, nucular war, pestilance, famine...

If things get bad enough, our portfolios may be the least of our worrys. I suppose we can stockpile food and ammo, bury some gold in the back yard, etc. In the end, though, one of two things wil happen: we'll be wrong, in which case we'll have lived what for most people would be a miserable life, or we'll be right, and live what most people would consider a miserable life. If things get bad enough, all bets are off, IMHO.

Old 06-04-2005, 09:35 AM   #32

Well, shiver my timber.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:00 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Just pointing out the relative absurdity of this sort of fatalism...

But hey, we could have a multi-year "discussion" on the optimum quantity of stuff to rathole; sort of an SWR in reverse.

Another digression: if you can't pronounce the word "nuclear", you shouldn't get to be President.

Old 06-04-2005, 10:06 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Amen HFWR...

You guys, september 19th is right around the corner. And I'm loaded for bea...err...parrot...

I've got a variety of pirate animals in place, many who will sport food on their heads.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire

In my view, there's not much we can do, even diversification, to avoid catastrophic events like world-wide depression, nucular war, pestilance, famine...

If things get bad enough, our portfolios may be the least of our worrys. I suppose we can stockpile food and ammo, bury some gold in the back yard, etc. In the end, though, one of two things wil happen: we'll be wrong, in which case we'll have lived what for most people would be a miserable life, or we'll be right, and live what most people would consider a miserable life. If things get bad enough, all bets are off, IMHO.

My problem, partly, is growing up around a father who suffered quite a bit during the depression. He didn't like talking about it much, but when he did . . . I've also discovered, for example, that I never get a flat tire when I have a spare in the trunk--that works. When I was dealing with rental property quite a bit, I would have all sorts of problems that required a Dremel. The day I bought the Dremel, no new Dremel problems appeared. Not being prepared seems to cause the biggest portion of my problems? I also know the unexpected/unknown can happen. Not much anybody can do about that. But my job is to be a Boy Scout whenever/however possible. Besides, I actually enjoy thinking about solutions to problems. Doesn't everybody? Martha likes crossword puzzles. I like trying to solve most everything else.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:07 PM   #36

Quote:
My problem, partly, is growing up around a father who suffered quite a bit during the depression. He didn't like talking about it much, but when he did . . .
Just returned from the Movie 'Cinderella Man' - Great Movie - Maybe the best I've seen!

If you go be forewarned. They show a most graphic depiction of the depression. Far worse than the Boxing scenes (which are pretty grisly). - You'll never enjoy spending money again. And that is why most of the folks that lived through the depression, do not enjoy spending money.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:47 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Just returned from the Movie 'Cinderella Man' - Great Movie - Maybe the best I've seen!

If you go be forewarned. They show a most graphic depiction of the depression. Far worse than the Boxing scenes (which are pretty grisly). - You'll never enjoy spending money again. And that is why most of the folks that lived through the depression, do not enjoy spending money.
Interesting. I am quite anxious to see the movie. Also, my folks lived through the Depression and in fact I believe they do not enjoy spending, unlike myself
.......................an example of profligate spending on a Trumpian scale for decades, before
being forced into a LBYM lifestyle due to my precipitous ER.

JG
Old 06-04-2005, 08:01 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

My Dad always says "we didn't know we were poor, because no one else had anything either..."

I don't think I'm overly paranoid about spending money, but I think my comfort level is lower than most. Don't like living on the edge, don't like being in debt. Don't need a fancy-schmancy sports car, or McMansion, if it means I'm just a paycheck away from disaster... I've lived paycheck to paycheck; I don't like it!! Saving, investing, and LBYM gives me more options. If I turn out to be a brilliant investor, then I'll be next in line for a "True and Amazing" vacation home in a tropical setting, to go with my mountain retreat, of course. For now, it's ranch house in the burbs. :P

Old 06-04-2005, 08:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Amen HFWR...

You guys, september 19th is right around the corner. And I'm loaded for bea...err...parrot...

I've got a variety of pirate animals in place, many who will sport food on their heads.
You know pirates were the first to put hats on monkeys? I don't know if they put food on the monkey heads, but one can imagine that possibility so it either has happened or will happen.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:09 PM   #40

HEY.... we never got to see the birds with hats pics......