Join Early Retirement Today

Re: New fellow
Old 06-04-2005, 09:35 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

The "birds with hats" series dates from years ago, before digital cameras. It started with a parakeet we had that used to stick her head up inside a bell. It would sit on her head in a jaunty sort of way. I took her picture for a future planned coffee table book Birds with Hats that would allow me to ER.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2005, 10:10 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
The "birds with hats" series dates from years ago, before digital cameras.*
One word: scanners.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:06 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And I helped her buy one cheap not that long ago...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 06:48 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

I saw Cinderella Man too - DH got free preview tickets. Depression scenes are awesome. Definitely makes you appreciate what you have. I believe in staying quite conservative re investing but not totally bearish like Mr. Apocalypse. JoJo
Old 06-05-2005, 10:23 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo Girl
I saw Cinderella Man too - DH got free preview tickets. Depression scenes are awesome. Definitely makes you appreciate what you have. I believe in staying quite conservative re investing but not totally bearish like Mr. Apocalypse. JoJo
I was reading on some other thread about asset allocation methods and modern portfolio theory, so I decided to sit down today (yes, rain again all day) and roughly divide and tally my asset classes (I even put them in a pie chart). Didn't take long, and I'm not quick. I'm actually about 25%-30% small cap growth and value. The rest is mostly bonds, 'safe' dividend plays, and cash. So I'm within the realm of reason as obtusely expressed on this board--I think.

I basically use my own personally divined macro market timing methodology. It's the dumbell approach to investing or, for short, KISG--keep it simple Greg. One side of the dumbell (that's me--'Mr. isn't that stock pretty' side) uses the bottom up approach for picking individual stocks that might make me happy (all ten baggers--un hunh); and the other side (that's also me--'Mr. I'm horribly scared of the unknown' side) uses the top down approach of discerning upcoming events in the economy and acting on them conservatively. I think I can see around corners; but I know I can't see any objects over there. I even have a Hussman-like formula to do this. Right now I'm gradually shifting weight to the top down side, so I'm a bit preoccupied by doom and gloom. No one side of the dumbell is ever allowed to hold more that 20% of the weight--so I'm always either moving toward euphoria or depression--or not.

So I was also wrong about my original 1/3 greed and 2/3 fear comment. It's actually about 25%-30% greed and 70%-75% fear.

Don't tell Martha. She thinks I spend time working on making money during the day.

duh husband.

Old 06-06-2005, 05:05 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
I was reading on some other thread about asset allocation methods and* modern portfolio theory, so I decided to sit down today (yes, rain again all day) and roughly divide and tally my asset classes (I even put them in a pie chart).* Didn't take long, and I'm not quick.* I'm actually about 25%-30% small cap growth and value.* The rest is mostly bonds, 'safe' dividend plays, and cash.* So I'm within the realm of reason as obtusely expressed on this board--I think.

I basically use my own personally divined macro market timing methodology.* It's the dumbell approach to investing or, for short, KISG--keep it simple Greg.* One side of the dumbell (that's me--'Mr. isn't that stock pretty' side) uses the bottom up approach for picking individual stocks that might make me happy (all ten baggers--un hunh); and the other side (that's also me--'Mr. I'm horribly scared of the unknown' side) uses the top down approach of discerning upcoming events in the economy and acting on them conservatively.* I think I can see around corners; but I know I can't see any objects over there.* I even have a Hussman-like formula to do this.* Right now I'm gradually shifting weight to the top down side, so I'm a bit preoccupied by doom and gloom.* No one side of the dumbell is ever allowed to hold more that 20% of the weight--so I'm always either moving toward euphoria or depression--or not.*

So I was also wrong about my original 1/3 greed and 2/3 fear comment.* It's actually about 25%-30% greed and 70%-75% fear.*

Don't tell Martha.* She thinks I spend time working on making money during the day.

duh husband.

Interesting story. I use a number 2 pencil and any old paper
(out of the trash) which is relatively dry and blank on one side, although
I sometimes take an envelope and open it up flat to give me more room.
I do all balance sheet/allocation/cash flow and budgeting in this way.
Typically, afterward I throw it back in the trash. After many repetitions
it's mostly all in my head. I can do a balance sheet in 3-4 minutes, asset allocation
about the same, cash flow (annual or monthly) ditto. Budget (annual)
takes a bit longer.

JG
Old 06-06-2005, 06:10 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

There was this old guy - named Ben Graham - he called it value(greed) - 25% stocks when the pickings were slim - and up to 75% stocks when bargins were plentiful. Fixed on the flip side.

He started in 1914 and died around 1976. Wrote some books also.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:15 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Hey DH, don't forget that you were talking your investment accounts only. We also have the real estate partnerships which probably amount to 15% of assets.

DW

Old 06-06-2005, 07:32 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Hey DH, don't forget that you were talking your investment accounts only.* We also have the real estate partnerships which probably amount to 15% of assets.

DW

Old 06-06-2005, 07:37 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

See, that is the downside to having two people from the same family post on this site. You end up correcting each other.

Old 06-06-2005, 07:49 AM   #51

Mr. Gault: I did mine in the margins of the new Business Week. The pie chart was done on top of a Fidelity ad (I think). I had to rip that page off afterwards because my renter gets the magazine in exchange for valuable Russell info. If he found the figures, it might be a point of negotiation when his lease is up. He's short the housing bubble, and it amuses him to no end to talk about it in my hallway.

Greg
Old 06-06-2005, 07:54 AM   #52

Mr. Gault: I don't do balance sheets. They require listing debits. I'm sort of a glass half full kind of guy Dawife (DW) takes care of such negatives.

Greg
Old 06-06-2005, 08:05 AM   #53

Uncle Mick: Yes I know about him. He's on the A-list with Russell.

Martha and I were talking about you last nite. I was asking about this french problem you had. It's my understanding that De Gaul (sp) thought the US is/was blessed? Of course he's dead now so this idea must be in the past tense?

My 'portfolio' (I love that word--I feel blessed to use it in the same room with myself ) is actually very similar to yours.

Greg
Old 06-06-2005, 08:09 AM   #54

Martha: oops. Shhhhh! Aren't you supposed to be working? You shouldn't be at the computer goofing off and posting/reading messages serially. Bad person, go buy me a present.

DH xxxooo so go buy it
Old 06-06-2005, 08:27 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Short thunderstorm break from my back deck remodel for the SO.

De Gaul: "God looks after Drunkards, Fools, and The United States of America." aka modern version - Bogle's TSM and watch costs.

Norwegian widow: little old lady waiting by the mailbox for her decreased husbands dividend checks from well selected stocks. New age - Dreman, Swedroe? et al.

BTY - In 1948 off the kindergarten bus - Mrs Wright(aka Stevensen?, Andersen?). Heck - I thought she liked kids. Lived in the best house on our gravel road. Years later - an obsure article in the business section of Portland or Seattle newspaper - rung a bell so I remembered it.

Come to think of it - her husband was still alive in 1948 - she just collected the money.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:12 AM   #56

Quote:
Mr. Gault:* I did mine in the margins of the new Business Week.* The pie chart was done on top of a Fidelity ad (I think).* I had to rip that page off afterwards* because my renter gets the magazine* in exchange for valuable Russell info.* If he found the figures, it might be a point of negotiation when his lease is up.* He's short the housing bubble, and it amuses him to no end to talk about it in my hallway.

Greg
That's one advantage of long range landlording. I never see my tenant
(nor he me) unless the rent stops or we have a major meltdown in a
critical operating system in the condo. All mundane stuff is handled by my on-site realtor. Of course, she charges a fee for this service. Well worth the money.

JG
Old 06-06-2005, 10:07 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Short thunderstorm break from my back deck remodel for the SO.

De Gaul: "God looks after Drunkards, Fools, and The United States of America." aka modern version - Bogle's TSM and watch costs.

Norwegian widow: little old lady waiting by the mailbox for her decreased husbands dividend checks from well selected stocks. New age - Dreman, Swedroe? et al.

BTY - In 1948 off the kindergarten bus - Mrs Wright(aka Stevensen?, Andersen?). Heck - I thought she liked kids. Lived in the best house on our gravel road. Years later - an obsure article in the business section of Portland or Seattle newspaper - rung a bell so I remembered it.

Come to think of it - her husband was still alive in 1948 - she just collected the money.
The first house DW and I purchased was the nicest house in the rattiest neighborhood in the rattiest town in the area. We bought it from a little old lady who was moving in with her daughter who was retired in California. After about a year, we decided to clean up the attic. Found a little spiral notebook fill with little cryptic letters and numbers. I finally figured out that it was a record of all the AT&T, GE, US Steel, etc. dividends she had received quarterly thru the '50s, 60s, and 70s. Wow, I wished I was her!--especially because I wouldn't of had to keep going up the ladder to paint the house. I could have bought a substantial size home repair company and made them do everything I wanted--and still have lots of money left over. Also, while in the attic, we found a box of drugs. Her brother was a doctor and must have received a present at graduation filled with little vials of codeine, etc (circa 1910). I think I still have it somewhere, but maybe I don't remember.

I have an organic argument for you on why De Gaul may be wrong now.

Greg
Old 06-06-2005, 10:11 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have an organic argument for you on why De Gaul may be wrong now.
We have better fools today than god can handle or we have better booze? The US aint better, so that cant be it
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:12 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead

Martha: I just opened the turbinado sugar and its not the same exact color as the last package. It also is less granular, more like the sand on Park Point and less like the sand in Bayfield WI. What do I do?

OK, OK, OK. I'll buy you a present then.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:17 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
We have better fools today than god can handle or we have better booze? The US aint better, so that cant be it
god is currently 'handling it' in the best of all possible ways. Pangloss?