Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
As for the work that piles up when you're off, you need to let people know quite emphatically that your hours have been cut. You didn't ask for this and you would love to go back to five days per week (even if you don't). I wouldn't check voice mails or emails on your off days. If contacted for an "emergency," you need to have your boss agree that this would count against the following weeks workday or you would get OT. Good luck. They're doing it to you so play by the "rules." You have a 24 hr/wk job - 3 days at 8 hrs each.
Yes. Work-to-rule or you will certainly be taken advantage of.

my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2012, 06:58 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Brat
Traditionally the home is the wife's domain. Husbands without better things to often overlook this detail.
And traditionally, women don't work outside the home, focus their lives on childcare, and defer to their husbands on all matters of Importance. But few people would wish to return to such past sexism.

"If at any times we must deal in extremes, then we prefer the quiet, good-natured hypocrite to the implacable, turbulent zealot of any kind. In plain terms, we are not so fond of any set of notions, as to think them more important than the peace of society". John Toland, The Description of Epsom (1711)
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
read this
Old 05-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
read this

You may want to read up on this...

Alliance@IBM Job Cuts Reports

Most of the people in the comments see it as a bad deal to take it.
Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.
mickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
And traditionally, women don't work outside the home, focus their lives on childcare, and defer to their husbands on all matters of Importance. But few people would wish to return to such past sexism.
You need to talk to my DW about this. Actually, she hardly left that way of life at all. She likes puttering around the house and having me worry about the money coming in. I keep asking her to trade and she won't go for it. After decades of work, I hope to join her in her lifestyle some day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane -- Marcus Aurelius
2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Heck, I worked outside the home virtually all my married life and was the primary earner for most of that time, and still there were sporadic territory issues. I think this becomes more acute when neither are working. The able bodied retired men in my circle develop activities that get them out of the house most days.
Duck bjorn.
Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.
Sorry for my long delay in responding - didn't mean to leave this thread "in suspense". I have decided to decline the offer. The biggest factor was whether I could really achieve the reduction in work... and knowing me and my interests - particularly when some of my work activities are directly aligned with my hobbies - it would feel more like I was taking a pay cut to work close to the same amount of time.

Also - and this may sound strange - the more detailed analysis we did, including from our financial planner - showed that we were really in good shape for retirement... so for now I'm going to keep going and saving and investing and "practicing" our planned retirement lifestyle. If my company lays me off before I choose - so be it.

Of course, there are things that might sway my mind. Maybe as I get more knowledge from this forum. And if things go according to plan (a big if of course), should they make the offer a year from now I would be more likely to take it, with more savings and a couple of major unknowns resolved.

All of the advice I received was great, thanks very much!

jollystomper is offline   Reply With Quote