Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hello everyone. I have lurked here for several months. I had always planned to work until I was 55 or older but following a divorce four years ago I realized that my frugal lifestyle would allow me to retire about 4 years from now at age 50. I never realized how much my ex wife spent on the whole high consumption lifestyle. I have been with a woman who is as frugal as me for the past three years and it makes all the difference having a partner who is on-board. I never knew there were so many like minded people out there.
GTH2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome aboard, GTH.

Yes, LBYM and frugality are certainly helpful in enabling an early retirement. You'll find many kindred spirits here.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #3

Welcome aboard!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to the site. Finding a partner that is of like mindset can make all the difference in the world. Having the wrong one is like and I have been lucky to find one on the same page as me (most of the time).

T-bird
Class of 2013 (5 w*rking days to go)
DW Class of 2012
T-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to the forum. I know what you mean about the differences in spending between spouses. I am the saver and my DW is the spender. But I am slowly converting her. As she gets closer to ER, she is seeing the light that money spent on "stuff" is not as important as money spent of memories.

Good luck on your future ER.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
gone traveling

Yes, I totally agree that the same or very similar mindset on finances and spending is imperative in a family in order to reach the same goal. If different lifestyles are involved I think it will be like one pushing a car and another pulling back. I wish you luck with your current partner.
aida2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #7

Yeah, similar beliefs about money is now an important selection criterion for me. I used to think that you could just work that stuff out, but I don't think so anymore.

Welcome.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:20 AM   #8

Welcome from another forum member who is also LBYM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTH2016 View Post
Hello everyone. I have lurked here for several months. I had always planned to work until I was 55 or older but following a divorce four years ago I realized that my frugal lifestyle would allow me to retire about 4 years from now at age 50. I never realized how much my ex wife spent on the whole high consumption lifestyle. I have been with a woman who is as frugal as me for the past three years and it makes all the difference having a partner who is on-board. I never knew there were so many like minded people out there.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #9
gone traveling

Welcome,

No question, there is much to be cherished in having a frugal like minded spouse/significant other vs one that wants to spend like the world is about to end.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote