Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2014, 08:52 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome T-Minus. I was in a similar situation as you. Work was my primary focus and where I felt most fulfilled. At some point it clicked for me that there is more to life. I started to reflect on what I use to enjoy doing in my youth and found groups and clubs to join (cycling, hiking, kayaking, etc.). I could only participate on weekends and for a while that was good enough. After a couple of years I realized I would rather be participating in my hobbies than be at work - a nice change. Thankfully, DH and I had been focused on preparing for retirement over the years and we were pretty much financially there. The past few years I focused on finalizing details to leave with DH in mid2016. However, my Mother's health was failing and I decided to pull the plug this summer to spend more time helping Mom. Thankful I did as she passed shortly after.
I guess what I'm trying to say is - start to find your way back to your old passions and hobbies - there is so much more than work to life. It may help you determine when is the right time to leave the work world. Good luck!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
One of the most eye-opening things about retiring is how content I can be doing not much of anything.
Exactly. I had to learn to do that but I'm getting pretty good at it. Other than going to the gym I haven't done a thing all day that society would deem worthwhile. And the gym has a big question mark.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Following up on my earlier concerns about financial modeling tool accuracy, my wife and I met with Schwab financial planner yesterday as a sanity check (other tools I've run tell me I'm in fairly good shape). We should have some results and a follow-up meeting before EOY. If this tool gives me the green light, then the only thing keeping me at work is the fact that I still find it both interesting and rewarding.

Regarding hobbies, I've purchased strings and have re-strung my guitars (still in great shape), and am working on re-acquiring finger calluses (takes a while). I can't believe my fingers won't even play a simple scale anymore, but hey, that's what I get for taking 15-20 years off. Next step, find my show shoes and dig out my Kindle reader.

But, about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Reminds me of what Dean Martin's second wife said about him.:

Nobody does "nothing" better than than Dean.
I *LOVE* it. I think I've found a new motto. Thanks.
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Minus View Post
Regarding hobbies, I've purchased strings and have re-strung my guitars (still in great shape), and am working on re-acquiring finger calluses (takes a while). I can't believe my fingers won't even play a simple scale anymore, but hey, that's what I get for taking 15-20 years off. Next step, find my show shoes and dig out my Kindle reader.
Excellent news ! Enjoy
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A different kind of retirement for myself and Ms G. It got so that my j*b was getting in the way of my recreational life. Tracking Desert Tortoises on Friday with AZG&F, Docent at the Desert Botanical Gardens on Saturday, volunteering as a Master Gardener in different places. I was just worn out, I had to give up something. FI at about 53 retired in 2006 at 54, now living between Paradise and Rodeo, with 4 dogs, 2 cats, 4 guinea hens, and 2 tortoises.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
You see, I've run just about every tool available out there, and spent literally hundreds of hours pouring over the results. ....

But that doesn't answer the next question: "If I retire, what will I do next?" ...

So, for the next 2-5 years before I actually retire, I've set a personal goal to re-introduce more work-life balance in my life and become active again in some of my previous hobbies.
Congrats. Sounds like you're well positioned for your eventual ER.

I'm about 4 months into ER, and (for what it's worth) these are my observations related to the segments I've quoted above:

I also ran the calculators again and again. To my surprise, after I retired, I stopped doing this. Once you roll the dice, it's a matter of seeing how it plays out. It helps that I've come to realize that I can live on even less than I originally estimated, barring unexpected major costs.

"What will I do next?" is the big question. Since you'll only be in your mid-50s when you retire, you'll face a societal expectation to do something that's judged to be "productive," which can be defined in myriad ways. Some here will question whether you should even worry about that. You've earned the right to do what you want to do.

Here's what may be a surprise: Whatever hobbies you pursue now may not survive ER. Sometimes we pursue outside interests while we're working that serve specifically as a counterbalance to the stresses of work. Once the work is gone, those interests quickly lose their attraction. Something to consider...
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Following up on my earlier concerns about financial modeling tool accuracy, my wife and I met with Schwab financial planner yesterday as a sanity check (other tools I've run tell me I'm in fairly good shape). We should have some results and a follow-up meeting before EOY. If this tool gives me the green light, then the only thing keeping me at work is the fact that I still find it both interesting and rewarding.

But, about this:

I *LOVE* it. I think I've found a new motto. Thanks.
Hey a fellow guitarist. I'm going to be telling people that I am quitting to become a musician full time (albeit a bad one ). I know I can spend 1-3hrs a day just playing guitar so that's going to be a big part of my ER.

Like you I've run the calculators run countless "bad" scenarios and am convinced that I am good to go. I'll be gone by July and only because I need to get some things done and would rather do those on the company plan (dental/health) than my own. I also discussed it with a FP (Which are sometimes looked down upon around these parts but if it is someone you trust has your interests and not your money in mind) which helped solidify things for my wife more than me (I don't think she entirely trusted me but his numbers were less conservative than mine so that sealed the deal).

Good luck, one thing to remember about OMY, none of us get a choice of how long we have. For me it makes no sense to get a few more $$ at the potential expense of less time. Time is the precious thing...the rest tends to work itself out. My Mom died unexpectedly at 68...thankfully she did take an early retirement otherwise she might have only had 1 or 2 years before things got bad. She was completely health before and her parents both lived into their mid90's. Ya never know when you'll be checking out
Old 12-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #28
gone traveling

New Member: ER Musings and Analysis Paralysis

Where there is a will (and a reasonable financial plan) there is a way. Life can come at you in strange and evil ways that no spreadsheet or financial plan can model. : Life is good. Just do it !
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

First T-minus a big congratulations on your achievement. My last few years of work and the market have me also in a less stressful position so I know the feeling you mention. Like you I also enjoy the current job and am starting to think about a way to go part time after reading that suggestion here often. That may give you a chance to increase your off work activities and see if you're happy to increase the leisure time.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Rothman is offline   Reply With Quote