Join Early Retirement Today

New member intro
Old 04-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

New member intro

First off, I’d like to personally thank Nords for introducing this site to me.
I’m a 34 year old Navy Supply Officer. I have been on active duty for +15 years, 10 years prior enlisted. I am planning on retiring from the service at 24-28 years in (9-13 years away) at either the rank of O4 or O5 (depending on career path). After this retirement, I do not have dreams of discovering another career path. However, I would like to work for myself or in some sort of business partnership/angel-investing.
My idea of early retirement is being able to follow my passions, which includes lots of surfing, lots of diving, moderate travel with my wife and being able to maximize the time spent with my children as they grow.
SRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome!

Keep boosting the TSP contributions and saving the promotion pay, and it should work out fine.

ClifP and I can tell you more about the angel investing scene over in your area. One of the members of our local group is a snowbird from there. However it's a lot more work than I expected it to be, and so far a lot more love than money.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks Nords!

I'd love to get your insight on angel investing. I am hoping to live back in San Diego when I start that gig. I think I'll only be here for another year or so.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:45 AM   #4
Administrator

Hi SRyan, welcome to the forum.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the forum. The potential for early retirement while still capable of getting out in the surf is a nice payback for the tough years of service you folks put in. I remember an early 40s retired Air Force guy who used to post on rec.windsurfing in the early 90s. He lived in Hood River Oregon (the Gorge) and was out on his board almost every day. His carefree lifestyle helped motivate me to plan on pulling the plug early.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome aboard. There are many smart, helpful posters here, you already know one of them...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome, SRyan!
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome SRyan, I know you'll enjoy the forum. If you can't get answers to your questions here, well I guess there isn't an answer. So much to garner from past experience through the members.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRyan View Post
Thanks Nords!
I'd love to get your insight on angel investing. I am hoping to live back in San Diego when I start that gig. I think I'll only be here for another year or so.
Check your private messages.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for all the kind welcomes! I look forward to using this site more.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi SRyan, well haven't been on this site for along time was just looking joined in 2009 wew time flys.so may 11 i can retire but think i'm going to hang in till the fall theres talk of buyouts maybe and i'm making sure to replace anything that might wear out in the next few years like fridge washer dryer ect.the drop in income disturbs me somewhat but guess everythings a tradeoff really.as i get older my goals seem to change to.
Tutashen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:35 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome, SRyan.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote