Join Early Retirement Today

New Member...Viewing Retirement
Old 09-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

New Member...Viewing Retirement

Hi all...a 61 year old with "retirement" in the planning process. I put retirement in "" as I have been self employed for nearly 8 years...as a troubled company "turnaround" guy. My self employment goal has been to earn enough to not withdraw from my investment accounts...which has worked out well to date.

My investments are approximately 50% equity and 50% fixed income...mostly CDs (a 10 year ladder), MM and other fixed income type accounts. I use primarily Vanquard index funds. I keep very good performance records and have for nearly 20 years.

My investments dropped about 40% in value during the past year...but my current total is now only down 7% from my account total peak historical amount. Note...I had some extreme "luck" in a couple of the two individual company shares I owned. OSK and INZ...I took a risk and doubled down on each...OSK at $4 (declined from $60-$4) and INZ at $4 (declined from $25-$4). Both recovered essentially to the point where I regained the value at their high point. I did do a little "day-trading" in each and bought and sold a couple of times on their way yo recovery.

Please...this is the ONLY time I have done any "trading" like this...I have no intention to try this again as I will likely lose instaed of gain. It did help me recover to the point I am now.

I have been slowly taking funds out of equities the last 30-45 days...have not decided where I want to end up...but I DO NOT want to threaten my retirement nest egg...it is essentially sufficient...test above the "red line" on the FireCalc...and I want to settle down and rethink my equity strategy. So far I am only moving ongoing market gains out of equities.

Thanks...wife says dinner is ready More threads to read later...Tom R in Two Harbors, Minnesota...NO it is not winter YET
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome to the forum !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hey Tom, I am down the road from you in Duluth. Nice day today, eh?

Welcome to the forum!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Hey Tom, I am down the road from you in Duluth. Nice day today, eh?

Welcome to the forum!
Hi Martha...if our weather was as nice as it has been the last 7-10 days...we could not afford to live here as prices of real estate would skyrocket! But wait...reality (ie winter) is not FAR away...Tom R

P.S. I just noticed your post count!...I am in awe...Tom R
Old 09-13-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I'll sell you some posts for cheap.

So turn around guys are going to be busy for a few years. Are you going to give it up for fulltime retirement? I am a retired lawyer and I just talked to my old firm's workout/bankruptcy lawyer (he represents lenders) and he is busier than he has ever been in his life.

Do you stick around all winter?

Old 09-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I'll sell you some posts for cheap.

So turn around guys are going to be busy for a few years. Are you going to give it up for fulltime retirement? I am a retired lawyer and I just talked to my old firm's workout/bankruptcy lawyer (he represents lenders) and he is busier than he has ever been in his life.

Do you stick around all winter?
I enjoy my self employment and probably will try to stay 50% busy for a few years and then stay a bit active on my terms...say a board seat or two. We still stay in MN during the winter...we do plan on spending some time "south" each winter...not been successful yet. I did have a 6 week interim CEO on a Chapter 11 in Phoenix last Jan and Feb...wife came down for a couple of weeks...not much "vacation for me...7 days a week...12-15 hours per day Tom R
Old 09-13-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Well your work will never be boring.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hi TomCat! Is your moniker related in any way to cats, military aircraft, or movie actors who are Scientologists? Just kidding.

It is easy to amass a huge post count here because there is so much to talk about. Many folks on the forum are not retired...we all seek financial independence, retired or not. Looking forward to your contributions.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Hi TomCat! Is your moniker related in any way to cats, military aircraft, or movie actors who are Scientologists? Just kidding.
Amethyst
Actually it is Tom and Cathy...hence TomCat...I look forward to participating. I already am motivated to find a "better' place for my MM funds...while still keeping pretty short-term as I believe interest rates will rise over the next couple of years and plan on waiting before I fill a couple of "rungs" on my 10 year CD/Treas ladder...as well as looking for a refinance of my 5.375% mortgage...Thanks...Tom R
Old 09-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

When I saw your moniker I thought of my brother Tom who is married to his Kathie. He's 51, a cop, and Kathie is 66. Kathie retired a year ago ... she'd been downsizing for quite a while before that. Wonderful people. I love them both.

Anyways, welcome. I'm more of a 'taker' than a 'giver' on the forum so look forward to learning a thing or two from you too.
TopDown is offline   Reply With Quote