Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Leonidas,
That's the perfect picture for what I described. I loved that movie. I'm going to modify the picture to paste my big ole head on it and send to my siblings...
walleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No, far from unique (either in achieving early retirement through LBYM, or in having the ability to generate supplemental cash through part-time work). But that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your methods. Good work!

P.S. You might enjoy Dianne Nahirny's book, Stop Working - Start Living.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:51 AM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi Milton. You are right. Those of us that decide on an early, gradual retirement are unique relative to the general population - but not at all unique in the ER community (I have come to understand). Full time RVing is another common method, like I will probably do in 15 years or so. That actually won't save me any money, but selling the house is a nice chunk 'o cash to spend on beer.

I'm going to search to see if there are any threads that do talk about unique ways to semi-retirement (do you call it SR?). It should be a good topic of discussion.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would think houseboat or RV would be great method, or moving to Panama or another very low cost country that you can live well on 1k per month income. You can also do off season renting, going to Florida in the summer and up to North cottage country in the winter, if early freedom is more important than weather, and if you get Canadian residency, free medical.

Another thing I was thinking....any retiree should have some sort of sales license for commission income....insurance, real estate, yachts, headhunter, mortgages etc as a no stress way of generating some income, assuming you are not relying on this, keeping as busy as you want, maybe generating some income or not, and having a card to give out at social events and to have an identity.

I kinda fancy myself as a yacht broker ; - )
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #25

I have one of these also and as long as you like short (< 1/2 inch) buzz cuts
it works great.

If you have hair longer than 1 inch and are buzzing it for the first time.
you may want to get it done at the barber and then start
w/ the remington. it's pretty tedious to get longer hair cut down to size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
feast your eyes on this little device, feared by barbers

Remington SCC100R Short Cut Clipper - Silver/Gray - Reviews, Best Prices and Product Information at BizRate

use it in the shower just before soaping up so that you can rinse off the cuttings and the cuttings get disposed of at the same time

I have virgin mobile for the Florida house as our main phone and all of our family cells for emergency use are on minimum prepaid.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
Florida in the summer and up to North cottage country in the winter...
... a no stress way of generating some income, assuming you are not relying on this, keeping as busy as you want, maybe generating some income or not, and having a card to give out at social events and to have an identity.

I kinda fancy myself as a yacht broker ; - )
Do you really deal in yahts? I admit to being a gullible guy.

I like your choices, Ottawa and Ft Myers. I could get used to that. We spend the schoolyear in Virginia and summers mostly in New York State. In the future we're going to spend more of it in your beautiful Ontario.

I realized over lunch that I was seeking exactly what you said, a no stress way of generating some income. It could vary widely, from 10K/yr to 100K/yr depending on what I choose and how successful it is. In any event, no more rat race, and no more measly 3 weeks off a year.

In any event, real estate is becoming less appealing as a choice, since it could bring serious stress if I end up dealing with some bad people. Kind of defeats the purpose of semi retirement if I'm more stressed than during my 20 year engineering gig.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye View Post
Do you really deal in yahts? I admit to being a gullible guy.

I like your choices, Ottawa and Ft Myers. I could get used to that. We spend the schoolyear in Virginia and summers mostly in New York State. In the future we're going to spend more of it in your beautiful Ontario.

I realized over lunch that I was seeking exactly what you said, a no stress way of generating some income. It could vary widely, from 10K/yr to 100K/yr depending on what I choose and how successful it is. In any event, no more rat race, and no more measly 3 weeks off a year.

In any event, real estate is becoming less appealing as a choice, since it could bring serious stress if I end up dealing with some bad people. Kind of defeats the purpose of semi retirement if I'm more stressed than during my 20 year engineering gig.
Still in the race, but have a great boss who is trying to figure out how I can work from Florida once DW retires (which may come next week...she just got notice that her section is being privatized) ...so no need to pull the ripcord yet

I see the yacht broker thing as something down the road and more as a lark...I also could do commercial lending brokering which I have some background in...but that does not sound like as much fun

the thing is...you have to fill your day somehow...and my belief is that a bossless form of activity that gets you off the couch for a few hours a day is ideal, and better than complete FIRE, assuming you are not relying on it for income, and you may actually find you are good at it and get rich - I see a lot of that....big success in the second commission driven career

Have you checked out Alexandria Bay NY...thats my idea of cottage life...I think you recently could pick up a run down century home in the village for 30K there....and lots of action and restaurants to walk to, beauty of thousand islands. It would get old though when the weather turns, and it ain't Saratoga
Old 09-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #28

another money saving idea, if you have security system monitoring, switch to self monitoring which is offered at some websites, or switch to after market monitoring, $10 instead of $35 per month, and still qualifies for insurance discount.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #29

Quote:
I'm going to search to see if there are any threads that do talk about unique ways to semi-retirement (do you call it SR?). It should be a good topic of discussion
This is becoming increasingly attractive to people (especially for those whose retirement portfolios took a big hit from the recession), and you can find a lot of related threads (and books at the library).

Quote:
Full time RVing is another common method, like I will probably do in 15 years or so. That actually won't save me any money, but selling the house is a nice chunk 'o cash to spend on beer.
That is very unappealling to me, but we are all different. You'll find many people on this board who share your dream or are actively pursing it. See for example http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ing-45788.html. And watch Lost in America!