Join Early Retirement Today

New Poster From Hilo
Old 03-31-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

New Poster From Hilo

Hi, I'm AuroraBoarder, and I just joined tonight because of a recommendation from someone on Yahoo Answers. I'm 50 1/2 years old, and want to retire soon as I'm 62. I don't have much money saved, but I've lived all my life on nowhere near the salaries I've seen dicussed on the web, so I trust I can find a way to retire on my meager savings. I have some ideas; hopefully, we can share, and I can teach you something as well as learn from you!
AuroraBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2011, 04:00 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hello - you may find this thread useful :

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tip-43303.html

Welcome to the board. By the way you are very lucky to live in Hawaii - my dream place.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome. If your low cost life style is low enough it could allow Social Security to handle a lot of your retirement costs. Once you have calculated your needs and estimated how much of them your SS will meet you will find a lot of help here on how much you need to save to make up the delta.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to the board! I second the statement of choice of living location. Another 12 inches on april fools expected here!
floatingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:43 AM   #5

Welcome!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, Aurora! I think you're the board's first Big Island poster...

If you haven't already done so then you could run your budget and your portfolio through FIRECalc (FIRECalc: A different kind of retirement calculator) to check the forecast.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #7

I've always been vicariously interested in ER-ing to the big island. If you have any words of wisdom about the area e.g.

-- housing costs and other costs ,
-- tax considerations
-- "what you do all day".
-- areas to look into beyond the high cost resort areas.
-- Bringing pets (a small dog in my case) from the mainland

I'd be interested to hear about them (if you feel like it that is..)
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to the forum!!

DH & I are big fans of the Big Island (Scuba Divers ) -- usually stay in Kona area.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome. Ten years is a lot of time to put together a plan and make it happen. Get to it and good luck.

Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi, you guys! Thanks for the warm welcome!

It turns out there are lots of independent sustaining farms here, as well as on the Mainland. It sounds like this will be the best idea for cheap retirement. One farm I found in Oregon has you work 40 hours a week doing farm chores, working in their gift shop, and things like that, and you get free food and lodging, plus a small stipend. Whatever extra income you have is yours to use at your discretion. That includes Social Security, plus whatever savings and pensions you have.

I want to move to snow country, so I can ski and snowboard. I'm in excellent health, and so is my father, who will be 75 this July. He still runs 6 miles in one hour, once a week or so. All but one of my grandparents lived to be nearly 90 (one got killed by a drunk driver at 62). They weren't in the best of shape, but they didn't stay physically active, either. So I have reason to believe if I take good care of myself, I'll have at least until age 75 to live a good life.

The cost of living on the Big Island is high, considering it's not swimming in high-salaried jobs. Most houses cost around $200,0000-$500,000. You can find them as cheap as $35,000, but they're either fixer-uppers, WAY out in the boondocks, or are on "catchment" - i.e., no running water; you put a giant tank in the yard and pray for rain, and even then, it has to be treated for you to drink it. Food and gas are expensive, because they have to be imported. Public transportation is cheap, but unreliable; you really need your own car. Utilities aren't too bad, depending on where you live. Houses here don't have heaters, but they can get really hot if you live at a low elevation.

There's not much to do here. After viewing the rain forests, wildlife, and unique features, that's it. If you want to just hang out, this is the place. The people are mellow, and the crime rate is low. Drugs are rampant; so is teen pregnancy. It all depends on what you want.
AuroraBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote