Join Early Retirement Today

New to forums
Old 03-28-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

New to forums

60 yr, hope to retire in 2 yrs. only concern is healthcare coverage and best way to start with drawing. Oh one other, what to do with the new found time!
Nazoomer

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nazoomer, welcome! And best wishes for your impending retirement.

I bet your third concern turns out to be the one you most enjoy resolving. I sure have!

Coach

Old 03-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazoomer View Post
Oh one other, what to do with the new found time!
Nazoomer

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Once I retired, I don't know how I ever found the time for w*rk.

Rich
Old 03-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Oh one other, what to do with the new found time!
It is such a terrible problem. Most mornings, I get out of bed whenever I feel like it, feed the cats, have coffee, and putter around at my own pace. Many days, I don't even think about what I'm going to do until I've had several cups of coffee, breakfast, and done plenty of "puttering". Some days, I even get to the end of the day before realizing it's probably too late to make a plan, in which I case, I think, "Aaaah, there's always tomorrow." On many of those days, I don't even think that, because by that time, my feet are up, I have a book in my lap, and a glass of wine and one of my cats by my side.

It's a tough life. You're going to hate it

Welcome to the forums!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
It is such a terrible problem. Most mornings, I get out of bed whenever I feel like it, feed the cats, have coffee, and putter around at my own pace. Many days, I don't even think about what I'm going to do until I've had several cups of coffee, breakfast, and done plenty of "puttering". Some days, I even get to the end of the day before realizing it's probably too late to make a plan, in which I case, I think, "Aaaah, there's always tomorrow." On many of those days, I don't even think that, because by that time, my feet are up, I have a book in my lap, and a glass of wine and one of my cats by my side.

Welcome to the forums!
Pretty close...

It is such a terrible problem. Most mornings, I get out of bed whenever I feel like it, feed the dogs, have coffee, and putter around at my own pace. Most days, I don't even think about what I'm going to do until I've had several cups of coffee, breakfast, and done plenty of "puttering". Many days, I even get to the end of the day before realizing it's probably too late to make a plan, in which I case, I think, "Aaaah, there's always tomorrow, or the day after that." On many of those days, I don't even think that, because by that time, my feet are up, I have a book in my lap, and a bottle of beer and one of my dogs by my side.

Welcome to the forums!
Old 03-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome aboard. If you haven't already, you might find it helpful to read through any of the topics here that might interest you Early Retirement FAQs - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community. Probably the quickest way for anyone to come up to speed here.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
... concern is...best way to start withdrawing...
https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/s557.pdf
Scroll down to page 4 and read the paragraph, "The Mechanics of the Total Return Approach to Spending". This explains how to obtain your desired spending amount, maintain the portfolio's allocation and minimize taxes.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:27 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
Once I retired, I don't know how I ever found the time for w*rk. ...
My Dad used to say this when he was retired and I was still working and I recall thinking that it was the lamest things that I ever heard. Now I know exactly what he meant.

Quote:
It is such a terrible problem. Most mornings, I get out of bed whenever I feel like it, feed the cats, have coffee, and putter around at my own pace. Many days, I don't even think about what I'm going to do until I've had several cups of coffee, breakfast, and done plenty of "puttering". Some days, I even get to the end of the day before realizing it's probably too late to make a plan, in which I case, I think, "Aaaah, there's always tomorrow." On many of those days, I don't even think that, because by that time, my feet are up, I have a book in my lap, and a glass of wine and one of my cats by my side.....
Very similar here.... I putter around and take my time to do things. One of the most surprising things about being retired is that for the most part, urgency flies out the window because whatever doesn't get done today can get done tomorrow... or the next day.... or the day after that.

OP, regarding health insurance... check out healthsherpa.com.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:01 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Welcome to the forums!
Pretty much sums it up. And the cats [or dogs] will need more exercise, or they will become obese.

Health insurance is an issue, for sure, but at your age you won't be all that adversely affected even if ACA (assuming it is even an option for you) is changed due by future judicial, legislative, or executive actions. For us increase in healthcare cost in retirement has so far been offset to a greater degree by reduction in payroll/income based taxes. It is a sweet life