Join Early Retirement Today
New to Investing
Old 12-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
New to Investing

Im 23 years old and I'm new to investing and looking for any tips, or advise. I started a 401k with my new job and started looking into investing in stocks.

fumanshoee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'd advise you to start with this excellent online investing guide: Road Map for Investing Success | An Investing Primer

Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
REW has given you a good primer. If you want more, same investing philosophy:

Investment Books

It takes some work to learn, but it's not that difficult if you invest for the long term and you devote as much time to the discipline of investing (understanding market history/behavior). Where people get in trouble is just relying on "tips, or advice" (brother-in-law, friends), thinking they can pick winning stocks/brokers (about 95%+ can't) and or time getting in or out of the market (again 95% can't - and too many people convince themselves they're among the 5% who can).
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
First, good for you that you are trying to learn and understand. The key is to start when you are young and you will have all those years for compounding and growing the savings. You are ahead of probably 80-90% of your peers just by doing what you are right now.

Since you have many years to go, a simple stock index with low fees type strategy for most of your portfolio is going to work best for you. You need to just do the max withdrawal you can, keep investing and don't worry about the dips and volatility. Just stay the course and keep up the investments. This is the pay yourself first model. Evaluate your risk tolerance and choose what investments you like.
I used to have a handle on life....... but it broke!

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
Welcome to the forum!

Start investing in index funds, stocks are fun but risky. Learn to do that after you have started index investing.

Capture your company match in your 401k. Then invest in a Roth IRA, followed by additional investments in your 401k. You might also want to have additional after tax savings for a house down payment.
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:09 AM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets
Thank you all for the advice. If you have anything more please let me know or where I can learn it from.
fumanshoee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #7
I'm a big fan of the book "The Millionaire Teacher" for folks just getting started. It's an easy read and covers the concepts well. Check your local library for a copy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Retired June 2014. No longer an enginerd - now I'm just a nerd.
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado
Originally Posted by fumanshoee View Post
Thank you all for the advice. If you have anything more please let me know or where I can learn it from.

If you are like me you will find that reading over this site along with bogleheads will answer 99.9% of any questions. I find I post very little but read very much
mtheulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
Building on Midpack's Boglehead suggestion, here's a link to 10 short videos on their simple investment principles (scroll down). Each video is only 5 minutes long and designed for beginners.
The Big Lebowski: Are you employed, sir?
The Dude: Employed?
racy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:23 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.
buy a subscription to Money or Kiplinger's magazine. You'll learn a lot of everyday stuff through either of them. good luck
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:41 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
I would second the recommendation for Millionaire Teacher. This book was my Christmas gift to my two older kids (22 and 17). You are starting at such a great age with lots of time to compound. Awesome!

This is no social crisis, just another tricky day for you...
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote