Join Early Retirement Today

New to the Boards
Old 08-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

New to the Boards

Hi I am 59yrs old who has been lurking for awhile. Great site!
I am married and plan to retire with the class of 2012. Invested mainly
In Real Estate and as we sold most of our properties we dumped the maximum money into 401k and 457 for a number of years. I work as a computer programmer and my wife is a manager. We have always lived way below our means. We pretty much have been living on one salary since 1994. We had no idea how well we were doing until read a number of books on retirement in the Past 6 months.
It is still hard to get my head around to that. I spent so many years getting to this point that it is still hard to imagine I can retire soon. Plan to start with winters in Florida Feb. 2013 and we are not sure where we will spend the rest of the time. We been to a number of potential places over the years and we liked so far we like the Knoxville area the best in the north and the St. Petersburg are in the south.
We are very active and love to travel. We usually take 2 3 vacations a year and spend most summer weekends at our lake house in the Georgia Mountains.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to the board!! MY DW and I hope to be in the class of 2012 0r 2013. Still trying to get my head around the retirement as well.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #3

Hi SJ1. Welcome to the forum. You live below your means, like to vacation, and plan to early retire soon. Looks like you'll fit right in. Hope you enjoy your time here.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum!

We have looked at Knoxville on and off for many years.
A short vacation to the Gatlinburg area ( and Knoxville) in May got us reinvigorated once again.
Hope you will share your findings about this area..
Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the forum, as MichaelB said you will fit right in. Have to confess we naturally LBOM and saved & invested all we could thinking we'd never reach our "number" only to find one day that we had way more than enough. Like many here you will find. Sweet...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Knoxville
Old 08-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Knoxville

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Welcome to the forum!

We have looked at Knoxville on and off for many years.
A short vacation to the Gatlinburg area ( and Knoxville) in May got us reinvigorated once again.
Hope you will share your findings about this area..
Will do. We visited a number of places over the years after reading about them and Knoxville is still our favorite place in "the north" and St Petersburg, FL area
in the south. We plan to live in one area and go somewhere else in the off season.
We visited about 1 yr. ago and like the size of the city. We liked Telico village and some of the in town neighborhoods.
After we sell the Lake House we will get spend more time there
Old 08-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Good plan and congrats.
We visited Knoxville this summer. I had been through there, but never spent any time there. I was surprised at how much water front there is there!

A really nice part of Florida is the Melbourne area. My son lives there. It is much, much cheaper than "south" Florida and the people are really, really nice. We live in the Jupiter, Florida, area and like it just fine. There are some good buys in housing right now. Our "up north" place is in the mountains west of Asheville and we really, really love that area. Next year, we hope to spend most of the summer up there if I can really pull the trigger and go to part time work.

I think a lot of us have trouble actually taking that big step and quitting work. Most of the ones here that have done so are very encouraging, so close your eyes and jump if you're financially ready. Thats what I gonna have to do!
Old 08-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome to the board SJ1_
Which lake in Georgia Mountains?
Old 08-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67walkon View Post
Good plan and congrats.
We visited Knoxville this summer. I had been through there, but never spent any time there. I was surprised at how much water front there is there!

A really nice part of Florida is the Melbourne area. My son lives there. It is much, much cheaper than "south" Florida and the people are really, really nice. We live in the Jupiter, Florida, area and like it just fine. There are some good buys in housing right now. Our "up north" place is in the mountains west of Asheville and we really, really love that area. Next year, we hope to spend most of the summer up there if I can really pull the trigger and go to part time work.

I think a lot of us have trouble actually taking that big step and quitting work. Most of the ones here that have done so are very encouraging, so close your eyes and jump if you're financially ready. Thats what I gonna have to do!
Knoxville seems to have a lot going for it. We have not been south of Cocoa Beach area but have head that the best part of the east coast is
Melbourne and below. Hope to check it out.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Welcome to the board SJ1_
Which lake in Georgia Mountains?
Lake Chatuge.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #11

Georgia has mountains? Who knew?
Old 08-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #12

Welcome to the forum SJ1. I'm sure you'll enjoy your experiences here. These people have a wealth of personal knowledge regardles the topic. Whatever the subject, someone on this forum will have knowledge on it.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Is that North Georgia? We'll be heading there in about a month. Going to N. Caroline first for our regular five year birthday bash. DW announced today that she would like to return via Atlanta to visit her uncle who we haven't seen for 16 years. That's fine with me. I love to travel. She says, "why don't we take a little side trip on the way home and go through north Georgia, then to Atlanta and then home". Sounds like a plan to me. About time we did something.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:21 AM   #14

Welcome. I am also with the class of 2012.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Is that North Georgia?
Yes. Here's the reference:
Lake Chatuge
Old 08-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #16

SJ1, at al:

Great thread. I'm a little behind you; class of 2015+. But, I can shed some light on the places you're discussing. DW and I just moved to Knoxville and , after planning to live in a planned comm like Tellico Village, we visited downtown Knoxville, loved it, rented a flat, and have been having a blast for the past 3 mos. It's clean, safe, convenient, and hopping! Full of restaurants, shops, new grocery, 2x wkly farmers market, live music, and clubs (if you're into that). The powers that be have done a great job. I'd argue it's almost as nice as downtown Chattanooga, where my parents live, and which has received rave reviews for urban redevelopment for about a decade. Knoxville is definitely worth checking out.

I have also lived in Cocoa Beach, and plan to return there for retirement one day. My kind of place: phenomenal beaches, inexpensive by FL standards, laid back, "cooler" east coast climate, and military facilities. I'd concur with the post saying that area is cheaper (but very nice, and way less crowded) than south Fl. And, with cancellation of the shuttle program and no replacement for several years, this is likely a good time to buy. If you're retired military, the CB/Melbourne area is also great because Patrick AFB is there-golf course, marina, commissary, BX, etc.

Knoxville & CB-Both great places IMHO.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
SJ1, at al:

Great thread. I'm a little behind you; class of 2015+. But, I can shed some light on the places you're discussing. DW and I just moved to Knoxville and , after planning to live in a planned comm like Tellico Village, we visited downtown Knoxville, loved it, rented a flat, and have been having a blast for the past 3 mos. It's clean, safe, convenient, and hopping! Full of restaurants, shops, new grocery, 2x wkly farmers market, live music, and clubs (if you're into that). The powers that be have done a great job. I'd argue it's almost as nice as downtown Chattanooga, where my parents live, and which has received rave reviews for urban redevelopment for about a decade. Knoxville is definitely worth checking out.

I have also lived in Cocoa Beach, and plan to return there for retirement one day. My kind of place: phenomenal beaches, inexpensive by FL standards, laid back, "cooler" east coast climate, and military facilities. I'd concur with the post saying that area is cheaper (but very nice, and way less crowded) than south Fl. And, with cancellation of the shuttle program and no replacement for several years, this is likely a good time to buy. If you're retired military, the CB/Melbourne area is also great because Patrick AFB is there-golf course, marina, commissary, BX, etc.

Knoxville & CB-Both great places IMHO.
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1_
Invested mainly In Real Estate and as we sold most of our properties we dumped the maximum money into 401k and 457 for a number of years.
Can you elaborate on this? I haven't seen many real estate exit strategies other than "probate" or "1031...probate"

Did you just decide to sell and take the capital gains hit? Or what?
Old 08-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

That is a hill, here is a mountain:
Old 08-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome SJ1. You have started something with your interest in Knoxville. We were suppose to be there today to look over the area (including Crossville) but I backed out at the last minute. I too appreciate everyone's comments on the area.