New to this forum

RenoJay

Full time employment: Posting here.
41 years old, 4 years from ER, starting to smell the roses

Hello,
I've been lurking for a few weeks and now find myself addicted to this wonderful forum. I've been a member of the Bogleheads for a few years and now seriously considering ER.

About me...

I've rarely worked for anyone else in my lifetime. My family were all corporate 9-5ers, so I'm not sure where the entrepreneurship came from. I am FI, and was very lucky with one of my companies that acted as a cash machine for years before it crashed hard. Even taking away the good luck, however, I think I would have been on track for ER. I always lived below my means, and though my lifestyle nowadays would be considered "grand" by most, I carefully controlled it so that my spending didn't increase until I had made big bucks for over a year. And then, the spending only went up to the same level as my friends, most of whom have normal jobs.

I'm 41 now, and I'm thinking 45 will be the magic age for me to retire. I enjoy my work, but am not in love with it. The biggest thing stopping me from pulling the plug is that my children are both quite young, and my passions is cheap world travel. It's hard to do extended trips to strange countries when the kidlings have soccer practice and school, and the DW would prefer nice hotels to gritty hostels. That said, I think I'll work for a few more years, then enjoy local activities (classes, volunteer work, reading) until the kidlings leave the nest. Then I'll get back to more travel/adventure living.

Anyway, I've really enjoyed lurking, so now I feel it's time to participate. Nice to meet you all.

Last edited:
Welcome here Hamachi.

Early retirement has many options and names. Read as much as you can while visiting this board and pick out what fits your circumstances. Always Live Below Your Means.

Please continue to post your ideas and questions here.

Remember, the advice you may receive here may only be worth what you paid for it.

Welcome. I owe my FIRE to the Boglehead way of thinking.

Welcome Hamachi. Good to have you. Added life experience is always beneficial to the forum. Not too many entrepreneurs here, so it's great to have one on board.

Welcome! This place is addictive, isn't it? Looking forward to lots more posts from you.

Welcome Hamachi!

This board does have an appeal, doesn't it? Having the awesome moderators on here, and so many smart and helpful folks is great.

Does the phrase "five dot network" mean anything to you? Or am I seeing a pattern where none exists?

Welcome Hamachi!

This board does have an appeal, doesn't it? Having the awesome moderators on here, and so many smart and helpful folks is great.

Does the phrase "five dot network" mean anything to you? Or am I seeing a pattern where none exists?

I'm not familiar with that phrase. What's it mean?

Welcome! I'm also 41, looking to retire at 45, and addicted to cheap world travel. No kids, though. I'm thinking about doing a couple of international trips a year and spending the rest of the time doing local activities, as you mentioned. If that doesn't satisfy the travel bug, I might eventually sell the house and go teach in China for a few years. :)

I'm not familiar with that phrase. What's it mean?
It's a portion of the IP v4 address space that was non-routable. I thought your business might have something to do with that.

Back
Top Bottom