Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If DH had given me a ring that had cost 3 of his monthly salaries I would have declared him outright crazy. But I understand that there is a significant difference in the wedding culture between the US and Germany. However, talking to some younger colleagues I feel that Germany is catching up....
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't buy a house unless a mortgage is cheaper than rent in your area. Pay off your highest interest first, and start learning about market trends. Pay cash for your ring. Don't trust investment advisors. Do your own research and know where your money is at all times and WHY!

I like agriculture, rare earth metals, precious metal miners the most, and that's where I'm invested now.

Two great picks for you with HUGE growth potential in the next 5 years (research them for yourself)

(AG) First Majestic Silver

(GPL) Great Panther Silver

Sites you should check out:

Seekingalpha

321gold

Motley Fool
nbw888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbw888 View Post
Don't buy a house unless a mortgage is cheaper than rent in your area. Pay off your highest interest first, and start learning about market trends. Pay cash for your ring. Don't trust investment advisors. Do your own research and know where your money is at all times and WHY!

I like agriculture, rare earth metals, precious metal miners the most, and that's where I'm invested now.

Two great picks for you with HUGE growth potential in the next 5 years (research them for yourself)

(AG) First Majestic Silver

(GPL) Great Panther Silver

Sites you should check out:

Seekingalpha

321gold

Motley Fool
Motley Fool and Seeking Alpha more trustworthy that investment advisors? More like six of one, half a dozen of the other...

There is a forum to discuss individual stocks Stock Picking (Individual Security Analysis) - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community You can go there to discuss your specific stock recommendations.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Motley Fool and Seeking Alpha more trustworthy that investment advisors? More like six of one, half a dozen of the other...

There is a forum to discuss individual stocks Stock Picking (Individual Security Analysis) - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community You can go there to discuss your specific stock recommendations.
I'm not saying those websites are more trustworthy, just that they offer a range of opinions for anyone looking for investment opinions and ideas.

I'm aware of the Stocking Picking area. Is it inappropriate to comment on stocks in this thread to be helpful to the OP?
nbw888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't buy a house for the first year of living alone. Rent a tiny apartment no more than one bedroom. Use that first year to get used to paying rent, utilities, cell phone, cable, and buying groceries. The next year you might move to a two bedroom but it might mean more furniture and higher utilities.

Buying a house when you don't even own a kitchen table will mean thousands the first year for tools, furniture, equipment and other things. Wait until you own dishes, bedding and towels before improving lifestyle.

Consider a small duplex as a first purchased home, not much more than a single family home yet your side can still be 2 bedrooms with 3 on the renters side. As you start a family you can switch sides to get more space. Then you will have a yard, lawnmower and other homeowner stuff before you get a single family home. You can then keep the duplex as a rental.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltuxl

I get this but I kind of want to stick to the three month rule. I would be nice to take advantage of some jewelry store's no interest for the first 6 months if I sign up for a card, pay it off before that time frame, and then cancel the card.
The three month rule is the diamond industry's way of trying to part you from your money. If a goal is early retirement parting with that kind of money for jewelry is something LBYMers would pass on...now if we're talking about putting $30k into VG total stock we'd be all over it!!

Welcome BTW...you've found a group of very opinionated people who have a single goal in common; retire as early as possible so we can go out and play!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltuxl View Post
I recently bought a brand new car for $24,000 @ 0% (thanks Mr. President) for 6 years and although it was a good deal concerning money, I am convinced I bought the wrong car for me. Had I leased or purchased a used car I would have had the choice to get a different car sooner, and buy the car that is more of what I want.
Why do you think that leasing the car would have given you better options and let you out of the car. If you took a 3 year lease you are locked in for 3 years. Leasing has a preset residule value for the end of the 3 years. This would be the same as selling your car at that point. You can get out of your purchase at any time you'd like.