Join Early Retirement Today

Newbie Checking In
Old 04-25-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Newbie Checking In

Hello All,

I just registered and decided I should introduce myself. I'm 28, born and raised in the NorthEast. Currently working as as Aerospace Engineer in CT. I've really enjoyed the posts that I have reviewed while lurking the past month and look forward to learning and sharing more. Oh, and I have been fully trained on the search function so hopefully I won't be asking any silly newbie questions.

That's all I have for now, I look forward to interacting more with you all in the future.

Thanks
Jason
JayOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome Jason. I'm pretty new here myself, but I can tell you this has become my favorite forum. Great info on all things FIRE related!
Old 04-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to both of you.....

Yes... learning this stuff at an early age can save you a bunch of money...

It is strange... but I have been this way since I was in high school... I think I got it from my father who schooled us in money...

His was a requirement... never got paid much in any job and had 6 kids... you learn by hard knocks that way... also he and mom grew up in the depression which IMO hard wires some... my mom just can not change no matter how we try...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome! I am 29 and joined last summer. I probably spend too much time on this board, because it's both interesting and addictive.

Early planning gives you a lot more choices later on. Welcome aboard!
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Jason,

It is nice to see another FIRE wanna-be at your age. I wish I had the abiility and knowledge to do the right things at that age. The best I can do is to try to inspire and educate my kids and kids-in-law. So far so good.

There is a wealth of knowlege buried in hundreds of threads on the board. Most of the questions that come up from newbees have already been discussed in past threads. Let up know if you come up short with the Search tool. Many of the oldtimers here can usually find it.

What age are you targeting for retirement? How do you plan on getting that to happen?

My ER age was 55 for 15 years. I made it happen early; age 50 and again at age 54. I got a late start and had to dig my way out of a ton of debt first. "That which does not kill you....makes you stronger." Yup!

The short course:
Save, invest, balance, use tax deferred tools, get free money from company retirement plans, live below your means and stay out of debt. Save 25X the amount you want to live on annually and you are done. Be sure your budget includes inflation, health insurance, future car and appliance replacements, repairs, and toys and trips.

Good luck and welcome to the board.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for welcoming me to the community, I hope to learn a great deal here and hopefully be able to pass that along to others in the not so distant future.
JayOh is offline   Reply With Quote