Newbie here... cash hoarder, forced retirement on the horizon

Excellent, Mike! Check back in after you've done some reading and started putting together your plan. We won't charge 1% for our opinions! :flowers:

Update:

Everything is unfolding as I'd expect. My involuntary termination date is end of 2018. DW knows of no layoff plans, but she is in the same megacorp and probabably a dead DW walking.

I will have severance to cover 2019 and 3.1M when all is done, no debt, and kids moving out in 2019.

We have done a lot of budget analysis as suggested in these forums and our spending in retirement looks to be 50K + medical + 15K discretionary. If ACA stays around, it will be quite cheap as we will manage our income to fully subsidized levels via roth conversion. If the roth option goes away it would even makes sense to pull money from our 401k's with penalty if needed to get the full subsidy.

I am pretty sure that I will be FI.

I am really really leaning towards RE. I am very influenced by the early demise of a number of coworkers my age and the many time > $ threads in this forum. I will NEVER work for an uncaring megacorp again. I will probably get bored and look for something enjoyable in my field (software) where I can work from home.

Sounds like you are ready for FIRE. You are fortunate to have lots of time to plan and prepare. Hope everything keeps going according to plan.

I am pretty sure that I will be FI.

I am really really leaning towards RE. I am very influenced by the early demise of a number of coworkers my age and the many time > $ threads in this forum. I will NEVER work for an uncaring megacorp again. I will probably get bored and look for something enjoyable in my field (software) where I can work from home.

Terrific!

In spite of the fact that this is an ER-centric forum, it makes complete sense to explore all the opportunities at your disposal now that you are FI.

I contracted for a year after retiring (from software) and it was terrific! When the pressure to pull in top dollar is removed, you can choose to do the things that you truly enjoy - from a location you enjoy.

For me, I enjoyed being in the office for two days per week. But I was amazed at how much better it was to only do the parts of the job I enjoyed, while leaving behind all the parts I grew to dislike (middle management administrivia, office politics, etc).

Congratulations! Hopefully you find what you will enjoy doing. And if not, just try something else!

to me, muni bonds at least AA rated + insured is the best and safest way to protect your mone by generating 4% to 5% without federal tax and sometimes no state tax.
Be a little careful of this thinking. Muni yields are lower because of their tax advantages. This means that their advisability depends on the buyer's tax bracket. From what the OP said, his tax bracket will be very low at least for a while. Hence, munis are probably not the "best way" for him. The calculation must be done.

We are after total return. To focus on taxes is to focus on the tail, not the dog.

More here: https://www.schwab.com/resource-cen...bonds-vs-municipals-which-make-more-sense-now

Back
Top Bottom