Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by killingme View Post
Based on my inputs it shows 100% success, still doesn't knock the blue collar "work until you die" mentality which I was ingrained with or the concern of "is that really accurate?!?!"
DH and I both came from a blue-collar background, and it has stayed with us.
As a middle manager, DH was RIF'd and so did not actually choose to retire. He would still be there if he had had the choice.

Despite my running all kinds of numbers, including FIRECalc, it has taken him over 4 years to start believing that things will actually be OK.

Just this morning, I was looking around for him and saw he'd crawled back between the sheets. This is unlike him, so I asked if he was feeling OK and why did he?

"Because I can," was his cheerful reply. "No commute, no worries about upcoming meetings or budgets" and more comments of that nature.

Then he turned over and crashed back out. That really made me smile.

I think he's getting the hang of being retired.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #22

Quote:
One thing I haven't figured in at all is social security, that to me is the great unknown so better not to count on it from my vantage point. Means testing would probably knock us out of it anyway
I'm presuming it's your spouse with the social security? Regardless, one option is to wait to collect it at 70 and use it for longevity insurance. That's my plan anyway.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #23

If FIREcalc says you are good to go, then you are good to go.
Quote:
Hi and thanks. Did run and even contributed I liked my results so much! Based on my inputs it shows 100% success, still doesn't knock the blue collar "work until you die" mentality which I was ingrained with or the concern of "is that really accurate?!?!"
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have more faith in social security than any state pension. There are a bunch of people out there living solely on SS in retirement. It would be very difficult for anyone to support cutting their benefits by very much. Means testing may reduce benefits for some of us but I do not see it as being a giant reduction. The politicians are too gutless to take the heat they will get if they make any big changes to SS.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #25

3 additional questions - Is your pension dual survivor benefit?, + Stated differently, do you have reduced ss because of your state pension? If not, this is your hedge. If the answers are good , and your job is killing you, what is stopping you from ejoying some of the best years of your life? And you get a karma point for opening a position for someone else.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #26

I think they make a couple of drugs that can help with paranoia. Otherwise, what are you waiting for man?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #27

All good input. There are two things that I focused on, and still do: 1) healthcare costs , and 2) inflation. I will also add one big factor that I'm beginning to realize: age 55 is a much better place to be than age 65. I can tell a huge difference, and I'm in good shape. Would you rather give the better part of the next ten years to an employer, or have that precious time to use the way YOU want to. To me that's worth a little financial risk taking. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #28

Quote:
In addition, in another two years will be eligible to start collecting a pension of around 51k. Without living an overly extravagant lifestyle what are the experts thoughts on being able to call it quits from their experiences..
Do you to have to w#rk for 2 more yrs to be eligible for that $51k pension, or are you already vested? Worst case seems to me like you tough it out for a couple yrs then pull the plug and enjoy your freedom.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks you all for the information and encouragement...
Old 04-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks you all for the information and encouragement...

I think for me the issue is I have always been a "what if" scenario guy. As a computer geek my life has been a giant if, then, else, elseif statement. And it is probably fear as much as anything which has kept me from bailing out, not of what I will do but of not completely hedging my bets.

MichaelB-pension plus savings, I did not include SS in the calcs

heyy_Joe-I think those drugs could get me arrested

bjorn2bgy-like the karma aspect and have actually thought in those regards, besides dead and well off won't do me any good.

ERhoosier-I can leave today but won't collect for two more years which isn't a problem

Accidental - I might not be able to break from a lifetime of being out the door by 6 am, but would like to try it on for size
killingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

tiaghtas- Can't you see yourself in the nursing home saying, " Darn! Wish I'd spent more time at the office instead of wasting time with family and friends." Kind of like saying Hey, root canals aren't so bad...."
Old 04-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think for me the issue is I have always been a "what if" scenario guy. As a computer geek my life has been a giant if, then, else, elseif statement. And it is probably fear as much as anything which has kept me from bailing out, not of what I will do but of not completely hedging my bets.
As someone who just got RIFfed at the beginning of this month, I can relate. I was increasingly looking at the door marked "exit" and thinking I'd be going through soon. But when? Next year? Two years? Five years? Is it even feasible, just maybe, for me to go through it NOW?

In some ways, getting "pushed" out the door was a blessing, as it eliminates a source of stress and indecision in my life -- when is it "time"? -- and helped avoid another case of "one more year" syndrome...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #32

Quote:
Hi all, my nickname says it all, my job is quite literally killing me.... As far as longevity, I'ld sign up today for 30 years based on family history
Doesn't add up.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

What doesn't add up?

What doesn't add up, now I am a little concerned. My job is causing me physical issues and the oldest anyone in my family has ever lived was 79. Or is it the numbers which aren't adding up?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #34

Sorry, I misunderstood your previous post (I thought you were predicting another 30 years, rather than saying that you'd be very happy with that outcome).
Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #35

I would be out the door today! Firecalc says I need another year yet! And I like my job!
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So, what do you want to do?

There are things you can do and things you cannot do. We are always money-limited.

You seem to have a grip on your income. How do you want to spend it? How big are the changes do you want to endure after checking out?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #37

You say you are a "what if" guy....What if you keel over and go before you take the retirement plunge?
If you have enough now...leave....it really is that simple.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote