Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyDave View Post

So I bought a nice $15 hair trimmer from Target/Walmart, and have been using that for a couple years now. Switch it to setting #5-7 for my head (depending on how I feel, I go crazy sometimes), and #5 for my beard/mustache/goatee (I'm a crazy man and accidentally shave parts off sometimes, making it into a new hair style).

Anyway, figured I saved at least a few hundred over the last couple years ($25 * 12 = $300), and I don't have a reason to change. I like short hair, I'm lazy and I like how it's easy to wash
I got a $12 haircut today and it looks just as good as the more expensive ones. All he used was an electric trimmer. I would buy a trimmer too but can't figure out how I would get to the backside. I don't want a buzz cut so I guess I better stick with this guy.

I wouldn't mind letting it go several months but mom says she will cut me out of the will. $12 is cheap.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I have cut Greg's hair for years. I used to scissor it, but for the last 10 or 15 years I have used a clippers. We just bought new clippers from Target yesterday because most of the old attachments were broken on our old set. The new set has a one-inch attachment. I took the leap and let Greg cut my hair. It actually came out pretty nice. A little shorter than I would like, but not too bad at all. The back is really nice.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Flowbee
Old 07-11-2007, 11:50 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Flowbee

Flowbee factory direct $59.95. Also Flowbee deluxe with vacuum

I bought one of these over 15 years ago and use it on my husbands hair monthly.
Let's see.... $15 per haircut X 12 per year X 15 years.... =$2700
Getting to approach husbands throat with sharp scissors...priceless.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

My DW has cut my hair for almost all of our 44+ years of marriage. I got one commercial haircut, which she watched. Her aunt ran a beauty school, where DW worked in her youth and learned how to cut hair. I've saved a bunch. She sez it gets easier every year.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Cool.
So many ways to save money in ER.
Thats why I don't worry about SWR much.
Trout fishing for dinner, refill inkjets, grow vegies, brew beer.
Just be careful of expensive hobbies that masquerade as savings.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

"We're called "musicians".

I laughed so hard, spilled my first beer of the morning.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:46 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
We dont have that code at La Casa de Bunny. My new neighbors are already learning to avert their eyes.
Undraped bunny with bouncing fuzzies.
Not cute, please don't go there.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:30 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Oh hey, you dont know until you've seen it.

Anyone wanna pay me to NOT post something awful?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Tell me more about the Flowbee. DW cuts my hair, but she doesn't enjoy doing it.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:37 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Flowbee

The flowbee attaches to your vacuum cleaner hose which sucks the hair up into the tube. The cutter is kept your desired length from your head by segmented plastic pieces that are adjustable. They even have an angled piece for the sides above your ears. It is very easy to use and my DH often flowbees himself and then all I have to do is trim around his ears and shave the back of his neck. My father also has one and does his own hair too.
Highly recommended!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

My dad uses a thing called a "robocut" which he likes better than the flowbee. His comment was that he doesnt have much to cut anyhow, whats the sense of paying someone ten bucks.

I tried it but didnt have as much luck with it. Most haircutters will tell you that they make all their money on the top of the head...its hard to get the top part to lay and look right, particularly on someone with a bit of a receding hair line.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:15 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Fuzzy,
DH has QUITE the receding hairline, it is receding down the back now..and the flowbee works fine for him. The angled spacer works for layering the sides and back.

2fer
Old 07-11-2007, 07:25 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
My dad uses a thing called a "robocut" which he likes better than the flowbee. His comment was that he doesnt have much to cut anyhow, whats the sense of paying someone ten bucks.

I tried it but didnt have as much luck with it. Most haircutters will tell you that they make all their money on the top of the head...its hard to get the top part to lay and look right, particularly on someone with a bit of a receding hair line.
Did it actually work?

Flowbee factory direct $59.95. Also Flowbee deluxe with vacuum
Old 07-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

The last time I paid for a haircut was in 1976. DW cut it for years with scissors but a few years ago I bought some electric clippers and I do it myself. Normally looks good except the time I started and forgot to put the attachment on it for the length of cut. Since there was no going back I had to go ahead with the overall military buzz cut look.

Other than than we have saved a lot on my haircuts over the years. I wish DW would figure out how to do her own so I could save about another $1,000 per year.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Oh man, I did that accidental buzz cut thing about 4 years ago, same thing...forgot to put the long attachment on it.

Fortunately Matt Lauer and Tom Cruise picked up the same haircut about 2 weeks later.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I just bought myself a 14 dollar pair of clippers from wally world (man it is hard to type right after lifting weights lol).

I used to shave my head with razors, but it gets to expensive.

Now I just buzz it skin close. 14 dollar one time expense vs 10 dollars every week or 2 for 10 years adds up.

I cannot imagine myself with hair now.