Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome & No , I would not ask my parents how much they intend to leave me . I would ask them if they have the proper documents .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2008, 06:57 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Funny how some families share some information (finances) while others don't. My 72 yr old father/mother keep me (46 yr old) up to date with their bottom line, list of investment account numbers probably every 6-12 months. Even took me to his bank to meet his account representative "just in case"- Its a necessary discussion to have with your heirs - not a comfortable one - but my Dad keeps my brother and myself up on what we need to know "just in case".

Old 08-23-2008, 10:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
Funny how some families share some information (finances) while others don't.
Indeed. We have given copies of our will to my sister and SIL, along with financial institution names, addresses and account numbers but no dollar amounts. No kids, so that is information they will need if we get run over by the proverbial bus at the same time.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Indeed. We have given copies of our will to my sister and SIL, along with financial institution names, addresses and account numbers but no dollar amounts. No kids, so that is information they will need if we get run over by the proverbial bus at the same time.
I've got this near the top of my to-do list. I owe that to anyone who might act as executor/executrix. And the way so much information is only on the web, they will need to know about things like Netflix accounts and how to cancel them. I will probably let them know how to get into my PC as well; and where backups are stored. It may be helpful that BIL uses the same computer system as mine.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:26 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I've got this near the top of my to-do list. I owe that to anyone who might act as executor/executrix. And the way so much information is only on the web, they will need to know about things like Netflix accounts and how to cancel them. I will probably let them know how to get into my PC as well; and where backups are stored. It may be helpful that BIL uses the same computer system as mine.
CJ, either you are underestimating the rapidity of digital obsolescence or you are expecting to kick the bucket any day now!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:53 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
CJ, either you are underestimating the rapidity of digital obsolescence or you are expecting to kick the bucket any day now!

--
I just came from the Purgatory thread. How do you bargain with the grim reaper. Door number one, please, planned obsolescence.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:06 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Where is Cuzz?
Old 08-24-2008, 12:28 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Where is Cuzz?
Don't know, maybe he'd like to see a dog photo. (Not mine).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1865.jpg (402.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-24-2008, 12:35 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Ahhhh...so cute!
Old 08-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Ahhhh...so cute!
my first thought was "what is he doing with his hand?"
Old 08-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Made me look again!

Hmmmm......
Old 08-24-2008, 11:56 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would never ask my parents how large my inheritance might be.

Mostly because I am fairly certain it will be a negative number, but also because it would be very disrespectful.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

While I do think it is tacky to ask how large your "inheritance" will be, I do think it is wrong when parents keep their children completely in the dark as to their financial situation. Especially as the parents start aging and the children are now adults in their own right. I would NEVER want to be a financial burden to my family, and I think I would try very hard to set up my life in a way that I did not have to be.
From the very little conversation that I have had with my folks, I am guessing they are in really bad shape. My father will probably wind up dying at his desk. Even though I have told him many times it is a bad way to go... and not worth it. I am currently the executor of their will, but they still refuse to talk amounts with me etc. As time goes on I will need to know things like bank accont #'s, where the safety deposit boxes are, and the keys for them, etc. Unfortunately my folks in their typical fashion will ride things to the very bottom, and keep things a complete SECRET, and find themselves in a very bad spot later in life. Although not for my lack of trying... something that I do not do anymore.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I personally would like to know the financial standing of my mom (I actually asked her a while back so I knew how her finances were...)

In my case no inheritance of any consequence (I knew that much), but looking at her numbers, I may have to cover her cost some (probably very small) if she needed a long term care for a long period of time. I am not as worried about her now, as when I didn't know, for sure. Knowing her financial status was very very important to me since my other sibling all of a sudden decided to cut all ties with her.

Even if she told me she had tons of money, I would have probably asked her the similar set of questions anyway (her sense of money has always been a bit different from mine, so I probably would have wanted to make sure that she would be OK till the end of her life), but we are pretty close and open, so I could easily ask her personal questions.

I personally wouldn't count on any money other people own (parents or otherwise) that they said they would leave to me. Things happen (accidents, totally unforseen uninsurable expensive surgeries, breakups, etc, etc), so if you are just wanting to know how much inheritance you are entitled to, I don't think I would ask. Asking a money question for my own selfish reasons (like "oh maybe I won't have to save for my second house after all" or "oh maybe I could retire 10 years earlier than I've been planning"), to me, would be tacky. BUT! If my mom did say she had tons of money to leave to me, we are close enough that I could say to her, "hey, tell me how much you got so I can start planning how to spend it. wait! maybe you should just give it to me now - you wouldn't need all that for yourself would you? "

tmm
Old 08-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Or, you could ask how your parent is doing, whether they have enough for their future expenditures, whether they are likely to need help from you, just so you can plan your budget.

If they have nothing, better to know now; if there's a positive surprise, you can both rejoice.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:46 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
--
Maybe he's taking "the Harvey Milk Law" too seriously. Harvey was a politician well known for getting the pooper-scooper law passed. People are required to pick up after their dogs. Maybe now that I'm retired, I can work on an amendment to require catching falling poops so they don't hit the sidewalk as seen in this pic. Not!
Old 08-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
--
Maybe he's taking "the Harvey Milk Law" too seriously. Harvey was a politician well known for getting the pooper-scooper law passed. ...
Didn't know that - thought i remembered him being assasinated down in SFO, and sure enough: Harvey Milk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Interesting life - even had Jim Jones involvement.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Didn't know that - thought i remembered him being assasinated down in SFO, and sure enough: Harvey Milk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Interesting life - even had Jim Jones involvement.
--
"Milk also sponsored a pooper-scooper ordinance and a San Francisco law barring "anti-gay discrimination" in the workplace which passed the same time the Briggs Initiative failed.[2] Days later, White resigned his city supervisor seat...." (from the wiki link).

The opera libretto, "Harvey Milk" has him also coming out of the "Jewish closet." Should be interesting to see how Sean Penn plays him.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since Dad is the one repeatedly bringing up the topic, I would think relevant follow-up questions are fair game.

I don't know the personalities involved, but perhaps he is even dropping hints that he would welcome a discussion.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Interesting that folks continue to respond to someone who posted once on the forum almost three weeks ago and hasn't been back since...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote