Join Early Retirement Today

OMG.. I am FIRED!!!!
Old 09-14-2016, 05:34 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

OMG.. I am FIRED!!!!

Had it with work and sent in my resignation letter. Wanted to hang on for 6mths to pick up another equity vesting, but I couldn't take it anymore.

Anyways, life is much less stressful now! Keeping busy actively managing my investments.

DW is going back to school, daughter looking at colleges (private - urgh), two youngest ones are in elementary school - so I am kinda nervous with no regular income. On the other hand, I have no mortgage and Firecalc say's I am okay. In any rate, since I am 48 with pretty solid mid-exec level experience I am sure I can return to the workforce and pull in $150K - $200K if I needed to.

So far, I liquidated my portfolio (great timing - I avoided the recent market slide) and started swing / day trading. I have done this several years ago - with decent results - I am fairly conservative and disciplined in my trading. So far, I have pulled in much more than my previous full time salary. So far, so good...

Wish me Luck!

By the way, I love this forum. I look forward to learning from the active members and hopefully can contribute!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2016, 05:49 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations!

Old 09-14-2016, 06:30 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
and started swing / day trading.
Please keep us informed how this exploit works out (positive or negative).
Old 09-14-2016, 11:10 PM   #4

Congrats on your retirement!

And, since we'd like to see it last, please stop swing/day trading.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:20 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

NO WAY I would play the market in early retirement.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Please keep us informed how this exploit works out (positive or negative).
Congrats... and +1 on this request.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

You're super brave or crazy, not sure which...I understand money set aside for gambling/trading, but the whole retirement portfolio put on a roulette?!?
Old 09-15-2016, 03:26 PM   #8

Congratulations!

You have more guts than I to daytrade the funds you need for daily expenses... but I'm a wuss. If it works for you - more power to you.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:07 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats on the ER. I've known a couple of others who quit their jobs and started trading. They're also known as "employees". Good luck with it, but no way I'd do it.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:02 PM   #10

Welcome!

In my case I stopped all the day trading / Futures etc when I voluntarily FIRED.

I figured I had won the game at this point (due to LBYM not trading) and didn't want to reverse my fortunes.

YMMV

-gauss
Old 09-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

I love your optimism WB68! I'm thinking you are pushing your luck though supporting your wife and daughter in college with day trading in the long run. I'd say 95% of the folks in this forum are probably looking at your plan in horid facination.

I'm 47 with DW just partially retired--doing 5 more years in the Army Reserves to be vested in a pension, 4 girls total with 2 of them in college, and there is no way my DW would let me go back to active trading...I been there and got the t shirt, and wouldn't even want to at this point when several lives or at least lifestyles are dependant on me.

Without my sins of my 20s/30s, thinking I was going to get rich quick by trading, our NW would have been in a lot better shape and I might have joined DW in her happy, happy semi RE life.

The good news is that in my 40s I sobered up and stopped gambling with my portfolio and plan to do the FIRE dance next year when I've reached your ripe old age!
Old 09-17-2016, 11:48 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbeezer68 View Post
.... Wish me Luck!
Congratulations.... and good luck.

Just remember, pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:21 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh my gosh, I do wish the best, I sincerely hope day trading doesn't cost you everything. To me the highs weren't worth the lows, I made some good returns and lost even more..
Old 09-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #14

With my sister and I in college at the same time, my father told me that our big city public university was good enough.

My best friend's two children benefited from the finest of private educations and colleges. Ole Jim's having to work until he's 70 years of age while all his buddies retired in their 50's.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #15

Welcome!

If you truly are FI, personally I wouldn't be inclined to risk that status with day-trading. There is no significant upside.

Quote:
[S]ince I am 48 with pretty solid mid-exec level experience I am sure I can return to the workforce and pull in $150K - $200K if I needed to.
Maybe.
"If at any times we must deal in extremes, then we prefer the quiet, good-natured hypocrite to the implacable, turbulent zealot of any kind. In plain terms, we are not so fond of any set of notions, as to think them more important than the peace of society". John Toland, The Description of Epsom (1711)
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #16

Quote:
So far, I liquidated my portfolio (great timing - I avoided the recent market slide) and started swing / day trading. I have done this several years ago - with decent results - I am fairly conservative and disciplined in my trading. So far, I have pulled in much more than my previous full time salary. So far, so good...
Congrads from another swing trader. (As you probably already know, you won't find a lot of us here or least many that will admit it) I've been doing this for many years with my gambling stash as a sideline hobby but I have a lot more time to play the market now that I'm retired. So far, since retiring, I've never had a down year, but that's been easy in the past 5 years.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:21 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Congrads from another swing trader. (As you probably already know, you won't find a lot of us here or least many that will admit it) I've been doing this for many years with my gambling stash as a sideline hobby but I have a lot more time to play the market now that I'm retired. So far, since retiring, I've never had a down year, but that's been easy in the past 5 years.
I don't think anybody would complain about day/swing trading a stash of money, but not THE stash of money. I and many others here have a gambling account we play with, to greater and lesser degrees of success. But to RE and then bet the house based on the recency bias of a roaring bull market? Not wise, and not great advice.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I don't think anybody would complain about day/swing trading a stash of money, but not THE stash of money. I and many others here have a gambling account we play with, to greater and lesser degrees of success. But to RE and then bet the house based on the recency bias of a roaring bull market? Not wise, and not great advice.
OP's wording sounded like he liquidated the entire portfolio. Good luck, who am I to say it is wrong?

My neighbor did the same thing when he ER'd in 2006. He lost his house in 2009. But he was a bit crazy and leveraged the house to play the market, buy toys, etc. Not saying this will happen, but it can.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:41 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I've never had a down year, but that's been easy in the past 5 years.
At least you recognize what's going on. Just remember the quote "Everyone is a genius in a bull market..."
Old 09-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #20

Quote:
I don't think anybody would complain about day/swing trading a stash of money,
On this board, I can't agree with that. "Some" (a few) seem almost fanatical against such trading.

Quote:
But to RE and then bet the house based on the recency bias of a roaring bull market? Not wise, and not great advice.
Fully agree. Matter of fact, I would not have RE if I had to "depend" on any market returns. To me, any profits from day trading (gambling) or long term "investing" is just extra cash.