Join Early Retirement Today

OMY at a time
Old 08-29-2017, 07:10 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

OMY at a time

Thanks for all the great comments and sharing of life learned wisdom everybody. Figured I at least owed a "hello" in return. Still learning the mechanics of this board. But I have read a lot and value the insights gained.
Think DW and I are on the cusp.
She: retired
Me: contemplating when/how to walk away from best job I ever had (mixed emotions).
RE temptation: traveling & fun trips with her while we are both able, and more time to spend reading up on companies in stocks portfolio. Alter ego = beach bum in tropical weather somewhere.
FI status: increasingly adequate: her pension, an IRA/Roth portfolio of mostly diversified dividend stocks and some other, soc sec if DC doesn't screw it up. FireCalc bookmarked and used with increased frequency.
Other: Elderly parent responsibilities (DW)
Anyway, just wanted to break the ice and say hello!

imokurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #2

Welcome imokurok! If you haven't found them already, we have a helpful list of things to think about as you're deciding when to go for it:

Some Important Questions to Answer

Glad to have you join us!

MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:28 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Apparently you have a stash but the problem is not knowing how to retire. I can relate to walking away from a great paying job but the question you need to ask to yourself is what is more important in your life. In the end that company really doesn't care there is another person behind the curtain to do the job.
Good luck and I hope you find the answer and your way.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by imokurok View Post

FI status: increasingly adequate
I identify with this term. That's why I'm not yet FIREd.

"Adequate" means "If I got laid off, I'd never need go back to w*rk again." But I want to retire only once; five years from now I don't wanna wish I'd stuck it out just a little longer.

I can't predict much about the future, but I am certain that I will become so accustomed to NOT getting up at 5am I'd never be able to re-adjust to the rat race.

Welcome!
Old 08-30-2017, 06:38 AM   #5

Quote:
I can relate to walking away from a great paying job but the question you need to ask to yourself is what is more important in your life. In the end that company really doesn't care there is another person behind the curtain to do the job.
+1. As for many of us here, you should go when you are able. Sounds like you are there, and there is much else that one might prefer to do.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:02 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Go when you have enough and have had enough. Defining "enough" can be challenging.
1-31-18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:30 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Apparently you have a stash but the problem is not knowing how to retire. I can relate to walking away from a great paying job but the question you need to ask to yourself is what is more important in your life. In the end that company really doesn't care there is another person behind the curtain to do the job.
Good luck and I hope you find the answer and your way.
+1! I am celebrating my 3rd OMY and must say that Street's point, "In the end that company really doesn't care there is another person behind the curtain to do the job", hit home with me.

--Nomad
Nomad4hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:04 AM   #8

Go while you're healthy! If you can safely guesstimate 30-40 years out with reasonable spending it is worth it.
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
+1

I am in a similar position, but have come to the conclusion at this point in life that my time is more valuable than money. Ever since I told my management of my intention to retire, I feel like a huge burden has been lifted.

As "fun" exercise, sit down and calculate how much you would really lose from that good salary if you retired today, particularly balanced against time. I did it and that helped open my eyes that the amount is not something that would make or break my life.

Good luck with your thoughts and decision!
Old 09-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
+1

As "fun" exercise, sit down and calculate how much you would really lose from that good salary if you retired today, particularly balanced against time. I did it and that helped open my eyes that the amount is not something that would make or break my life.
Jolly,

Can you share with us an sketch of the fun exercise? It sounds intriguing.

Foodie is offline   Reply With Quote