Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Let me add my congratulations and share that I was in a similar boat. I spent the past year or so waiting/hoping my employer would lay me off and give my package. Finally got tired of waiting and took matters into my hands this month. Once I made the decision and announced it, I realized how "right" it felt to have made the choice rather than having it made for me. That feeling is worth the cost of the foregone severance, which may or may not ever have come. Next week is my final week of work.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #22

Congratulations, Roger!

I guess I was somewhat fortunate when I was deciding that my company never offered "packages" and the severance was so minimal as to be a joke. So I wasn't tempted to wait for an "offer".

MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSF View Post
Let me add my congratulations and share that I was in a similar boat. I spent the past year or so waiting/hoping my employer would lay me off and give my package. Finally got tired of waiting and took matters into my hands this month. Once I made the decision and announced it, I realized how "right" it felt to have made the choice rather than having it made for me. That feeling is worth the cost of the foregone severance, which may or may not ever have come. Next week is my final week of work.
Thanks, TimSF. You'll beat me to the finish line by less than 3 weeks!
I guess we can take it as a compliment that our employers refused to get rid of us even after we asked them to get rid of us!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Congratulations, Roger!

I guess I was somewhat fortunate when I was deciding that my company never offered "packages" and the severance was so minimal as to be a joke. So I wasn't tempted to wait for an "offer".
Good point. While I was waiting for an offer, I found myself in a holding plattern, unable to plan for the case of not getting an offer. Once I found out they wouldn't pay me to leave, things fell into place very quickly.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #25

I'm outta there! Could hardly contain my giddiness as I walked out the door for the last time.

My first reaction when I got into the car was "I think I lost my badge!" But I'm sure I'll make that adjustment quickly. Old habits die hard.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
I'm outta there! Could hardly contain my giddiness as I walked out the door for the last time.
Welcome to the other side!

-gauss
Old 08-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Now, now. Don't feel so down. It'll get better with time. Just you wait.